I can't do this I've made a decision

Okay, @Charris, speaking as someone who saw this from the front line...

My dh was medically retired in Feb 2009. His company decided it, not us. He also had LTD. His company actually was super nice and paid our COBRA for not just 18 months but longer than most...thru to Dec 2011, thank goodness. SSDI takes time to process. And almost everyone is denied the first time.

While we were waiting for his SSDI to kick in, his LTD covered our expenses (70% level which is higher than basic which is typically 50% but we paid to get covered at 70%. He finally got on SSDI in Oct 2010, we had to pay back the difference between SSDI and LTD. Yeah, we got all the back SSDI back to Feb 2009 but we owed it all to the company who handled the LTD. It wasn't until Feb 2011 that he was finally able to get on Medicare based on SSDI (there is a 2 year mandatory wait if disabled from the time of your disability as defined by SSDI).

When he filed for SSDI, I was already on it. (I was classified disabled in 1998, so my Medicare went into effect in 2000). I was very lucky in that I got mine first try. BUT I knew to have a lawyer handle dh's not me. I didn't want to get it in the middle of our marriage. We did end up paying the lawyer $6000 for all of it, paperwork, time, and even an appearance in front of a judge. See dh was denied not just once but twice so his had to go to a judge.

It's a long road...and most people are financially wiped out before getting there. Most companies have to provide COBRA but they make you pay for it. And COBRA is horridly expensive. Even if you start today, it will be June 2018 before you are allowed on Medicare (unless you turn 65 before that).

Well @southernlady I found out I was going about the process all wrong. I was hoping to apply for my early retirement first. I'm definitely thinking to have a Lauer handle it for me I don't have a clue I'm so freaking stressed out I just feel like I'm being smotherd. Uggh. I'm wondering what everyone one I know how the get their medical the day they are approved for Social Security. My brother, his xwife, their bad azz off spring. The lady from social security administration told me if I qualify for 1$ in food stamps I qualify for free medical through social security.

Edit deleted jibberish. Lol

Last edited:
got his on the first try dais toy have to do SSDI first because it tippy get toot retired cosy they usually won't approve you for SSDI.
As late as it was when you posted this, I honestly have no clue what you said and spellcheck isn't helping you.

As far as getting medical the minute they were disabled, it might be Medicaid not Medicare. And it may also be the ACA not Medicare.

As late as it was when you posted this, I honestly have no clue what you said and spellcheck isn't helping you.

As far as getting medical the minute they were disabled, it might be Medicaid not Medicare. And it may also be the ACA not Medicare.

Well Southernlady I have no clue. When I go home I went to sleep. So I have no clue. I don't remember trying to post anything I was dead tired. Oh I see know I was doing talk to text and didn't look before sending. My uncle worked for the county as well. He got his SSDI on first try. He told me I was doing it the wrong way. I was trying for retirement he said I need to get SSDI first because they often deny you it if you are getting retirement already.

Well Southernlady I have no clue. When I go home I went to sleep. So I have no clue. I don't remember trying to post anything I was dead tired. Oh I see know I was doing talk to text and didn't look before sending. My uncle worked for the county as well. He got his SSDI on first try. He told me I was doing it the wrong way. I was trying for retirement he said I need to get SSDI first because they often deny you it if you are getting retirement already.

You must talk funny.

.... got his on the first try dais toy have to do SSDI first because it tippy get toot retired cosy they usually won't approve you for SSDI....

I'm so sorry that your workplace is being awful, but *love* that when you are sleepy you think of toot. :)

Latest posts

Back