I am worried about myself

marissamast

3X to small in 13 mos. Love my DS
:helpsmiley:I am 17 weeks out and I still can't eat hardly anything. Nothing tastes good. Smells revolt me. Textures send me over the edge. I can't eat eggs as I can't stand the smell or the texture. I can't stand the smell of bacon cooking...I can eat it if I don't have to smell it. Chicken is the worst. About all I can stand is steak, cooked medium rare and an occasional pork chop and cheese sticks. I am still living on protien shakes and half the time I can't do those as the sweetness turns my stomach. I take a PPI 40 mg, twice a day. My weight loss has slowed to a crawl as I don't consume enough calories in a day (I assume) Please tell me I will be OK and that this too shall pass!?!? :cry:
:mess:

You need to track your protein and make sure you are getting in @100gr per day and you are adequately hydrated. If you are already tracking, post a couple days worth of data. As long as you are getting enough of what you need, no big deal if it's all steak, cheese, and shakes. But I would guess you are not eating/drinking enough.

When what you are doing isn't working, change something. You might want to try giving yourself a free weekend and eat anything you want. Doesn't matter what it is. Just forget about your DS for the weekend and see if you do better. How are you doing on supplements?

Maybe they are the problem. Try leaving out the iron for a couple days and see if things improve. I automatically see iron as the problem because it's the one most people have a hard time with. My second guess would be calcium.

Change it up!

When was your last check up? Do you have nausea medication? My dietician told me to find "safe foods" that don't make you sick, and base your diet on that. Try one new food a day, and see how it goes. I hope you feel better.

Check your hydration and make sure you are getting OVER 64 ounces a day. 64 ounces is a MINIMUM and most of us need more. Being slightly chronically dehydrated will cause most, if not all, of the problems you are having.

I probably get about 60 to 80 grams of protien a day, two 30 gram shakes and a protien bar at 14 grams...I am well hydrated, I can tell because my urine is almost colorless. I am taking iron only every other day, it was good with no supplementation at my checkup last week. And i just started supplementing it last week. I take my supplements faithfully...All my levels looked really good. I just hate food! Lol. I put 2 scoops in my shake tonight.

... Please tell me I will be OK and that this too shall pass!?!?

It was the same for me. And it did pass.

Oddly, now at six months chicken and eggs are good and steak can be difficult, but nothing is as difficult as it was before. Bacon is still gross and way too dry. All I can suggest is to keep trying small samples of things and find stuff that your body likes. Arby's roast beef, watermelon, salmon, any kind of meat in tube form (hot dogs, kielbasa, bratwursts, links), cheese fondue with pork rinds, Thai coconut / chicken soup (only I skipped the chicken), any braised or slow cooked fatty meats, Indian food with cream sauces are a few of the things that have worked for me.

Common things people have problems with are whey and onions. I thought I was developing an anti-onion thing, but it seems like I'm still good with cooked onions for now. Some people make room for veggies and fruits other's don't. I find my carb cravings and bathroom habits are better with them.

Good luck!

I had similar symptoms but only for a few weeks. My sense of smell went batchit crazy after surgery. I did scrambled eggs (hard) with Canadian Bacon and cheese. I would pop microwave popcorn while I was cooking and tear the bag open beside my plate while eating. The smell made me want to eat for some reason. I too did sauces and even gravy to get things down for a few weeks. I also smoked my meats a lot and found the smell and flavor worked well. Mine went away soon and now there is nothing I wouldn't scarf especially if I didn't have to make it. Costco also had pre cooked fajita chicken and beef strips that really wasn't spicy but went well in other foods. I would dice it up small and add it to cup o noodles with garlic and a little soy sauce and the smell was good as was the broth and chicken. Hang in there. It will pass. Take care. EW

I think @EricW 's post above illustrates just how much you have to keep trying when you're feeling like that about food. Keep trying different things, even things that may seem weird, and eventually you'll find something and then that one thing will get you over the hump and broaden your tastes again. But you'll only get there if you keep at it!

Early on, I used a bit of applesauce on my medium hamburger...sounds weird but it worked.

Now, applesauce is a "meh" food...my hamburgers no longer need it.

Hang in there! The stall will pass. Hopefully the aversion will as well. Soups were my friend for a long time, as was melted cheese (to add moisture and protein) on everything - soups, meats, mashed potatoes. I also used apple slices as a peanut butter delivery vehicle.

:helpsmiley:I am 17 weeks out and I still can't eat hardly anything. Nothing tastes good. Smells revolt me. Textures send me over the edge. I can't eat eggs as I can't stand the smell or the texture. I can't stand the smell of bacon cooking...I can eat it if I don't have to smell it. Chicken is the worst. About all I can stand is steak, cooked medium rare and an occasional pork chop and cheese sticks. I am still living on protien shakes and half the time I can't do those as the sweetness turns my stomach. I take a PPI 40 mg, twice a day. My weight loss has slowed to a crawl as I don't consume enough calories in a day (I assume) Please tell me I will be OK and that this too shall pass!?!? :cry:
:mess:
Are you taking a PPI? Until I got the acid under control, I had these issues also.

I did that a couple times until I read here that the body can only absorb 30 grams of protien at one shot, so by adding an extra scoop to shakes, you are really only wasting that money....and it is expensive. Squishy hugs.
Oh my. And I thought I had figured something out. ** Sigh**.

I've read conflicting things on that...but the prevailing thing I've seen is that there is no evidence to suggest that's true.
Hopefully somebody in the know will chime in and give more info on that....maybe @DianaCox knows the answer.

Latest posts

Back