How are you eating

My first breakfast is yogurt (some carbs), a glass of raw milk (also some carbs), and butter coffee. Second breakfast is where I am finally awake and able to cook.

I am an odd duck in that I have to have carbs with each meal...or I end up with reactive hypoglycemia (documented in a GTT in 1992ish). An easy way to get second breakfast for me is Egg in a Hole (take a piece of bread and cut a hole in it (throwing that part away) using a glass or biscuit cutter. Place in fry pan with butter and once hot, crack an egg in the hole...flip when done enough.
I eat carbs with pretty much most meals too. That is why I started the PB&J oatnut toast with meals. Two of those and coffee was my pre-ds breakfast typically. One good thing Queen bitchface from the crazyville board suggested was some carbs in the morning. You know me and that I don't carb restrict, but do make sure I have at least 30 grams or more protein with every meal. I need the balance or I get messed up taste bud wise.

That is a good idea with the egg hole. I was thinking of telling other to cut away the part around the sausage patty and egg from my "eggs benedict" creation to cut down on carbs for those who are counting.

I'm not an egg fan - I can only eat them over easy. Something about the consistency I think. I like bacon, sausage, side pork, or ham for breakfast. But you'd be amazed how often I have jerky for breakfast. Jack links is my favorite non-homemade jerky, it is my backup for meals and snacks, I always have a few with me to be safe.
I have a friend that makes me venison jerky which is fantastic.

Great thread! it took me a bit to get my routine and yep, breakfast was really hard for me at first too. Now, I get up have my coffee and make me an Unjury protein drink with 1 and ½ scoops of protein and my miralax. I use that to take my morning vits and regular meds. Then probably 90 minutes or so later, I have bacon - I bake mine so does not require baby sitting. I always make extra and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes I scramble an egg to go with it. Bacon by itself is usually not enough.
I have had ground beef sauted with onion, Perdue simply smart chicken dipped in ranch or yum yum sauce and if it is cold may have some chili.

Grab n go - cheese sticks - jerky - my favorite is Oberta - protein bars - but these tend to get carby. Deviled eggs would be a great GnG item too.

This really is a great thread. The key words here are…Flexibility and Adaptation. One of the BIGGEST surprises, (maybe the biggest), I have had in all this is how my taste buds changed, kept changing and are still changing even at one year out. Hell, they even change hourly sometimes. Sometimes I will be cooking a meal and then go to eat it and actually get nauseous at the thought of eating it…so again, you ALWAYS have to have several back up sources of protein to rely on and be ready to switch at a moment’s notice.

Some of my REALLY bad food aversions were and still are garlic, (the worst one) and I used to put it on everything and eat it by the pound!, eggs, hamburger meat of any kind, smoked meats of any kind and any yellow American type cheeses and of course BACON which really SUCKS to not be able to eat that! I can now eat hamburger meat, (only if I cook it and it’s not been cooked in a fast food grease pit) and in chili. Still NO garlic whatsoever or bacon. If I even smell bacon cooking, I will get nauseous instantly. My normal breakfast is 3 egg whites, 1 w/yolk scrambled with fresh jalapenos and onions and FOUR OZ of Parmesan cheese. I have a 12-16 OZ glass of high protein whole milk with this and it comes up to a whopping 800 Calories and 80g of protein.

My two “Grab-n-Go” foods that I eat daily are my homemade beef jerky and Nuts. Nuts are about the most nutrient dense foods that there is and I keep bunches of 4 OZ keep bags of nuts mixed with raisins and M&Ms for my own trail mix which comes up to a whopping 600 Calories and 20g of protein and then nibble on that ALL day long. NOTE: SOME of these foods will NOT apply to you, (and many others), as I am also trying to ingest as many calories as is humanly possible to stop my descending WL. BUT, my point is, again………….be prepared to be frustrated and you WILL waste a fair amount of food and money and time for the shopping and prep, just to throw it away. That being said, it really has gotten better and better and I have evolved and learned along the way in conjunction with my “Buds” getting better with time, so…it DOES get better!

I am VSG but I also keep to a protein diet with limited carbs. Things that you will always find in my fridge are: Perdue short cut chicken (honey roasted), sliced chicken and turkey from the deli, sliced cheese from deli, hardboiled eggs (I buy them already made as I hate peeling them), egg beater cups, cubed ham, shredded cheese, yogurt, olive oil mayo, hummus, and celery sticks. In my pantry I always have tuna and in the freezer always have bags of steam in bag broccoli and cauliflower, turkey meatballs, and turkey sausage patties. With this I can make so many snacks and meals!

I put the cubed ham and shredded cheese in omelets with a cup of egg beaters, the deli meat I put on a plate with a slice of cheese on top, and nuke for 30 secs. and eat with fork and knife. I eat the hardboiled eggs cut up with a squeeze of mayo... That perdue chicken I eat out of the bag its so good!

I always have an unjury protein shake with Fairlife milk in the morning for breakfast. That is all I ever want and need in the morning.

I also make a huge batch of turkey chili in the slow cooker. I eat that almost daily. I like it and so far have not gotten bored of it. I put 2 lbs of ground turkey in the slow cooker with a packet of chili seasoning, two cans of rotel (the chili fixins one is good but spicy so I use one of those and one of regular), and two cans of whatever beans I have in the pantry, drained. I freeze half and have plenty for two weeks that way.

When eating out I usually have a turkey burger no bun, or a piece of fish, and a side of veggie.

Last edited:
Throw a tiny bit of butter into a small skillet. Heat a small tortilla (I use corn) on each side just to soften it. Take it out and do the same with a second tortilla. Once that one gets warm, dump a pile of any kind of cheese on top and them slap the other tortilla on top of the cheese. Lower the heat, and warm it all up until the cheese melts and the tortilla starts to get a little golden. Flip it over. Make sure it is warm throughout. Dump onto a plate. I use kitchen shears to cut into wedges. You could add bacon bits or ham or whatever. Takes longer to write it than to do it...lol

And so on.

OMG you said the magic word... tortilla! I haven't had one in months but as soon as you mentioned it I *must* do that.
It won't be a regular thing because of carbs but on days like today where everything else sounds crappy that will definitely work.

I just found a low carb corn tortilla recipe and it says it's "3g net" ... I don't do the net hocus-pocus so I'm wondering how much it really is and whether it's worth making them myself. Probably not since I refuse to make tortillas a diet staple again. That's part of what got me in trouble to begin with... lmao

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the kitchen.. LOL

I'm not an egg fan - I can only eat them over easy. Something about the consistency I think. I like bacon, sausage, side pork, or ham for breakfast. But you'd be amazed how often I have jerky for breakfast. Jack links is my favorite non-homemade jerky, it is my backup for meals and snacks, I always have a few with me to be safe.
I have a friend that makes me venison jerky which is fantastic.

I'm not real fond of eggs either and string cheese has become repulsive to me (?!?! I used to love it!) as have most other healthy snacks so it's peanuts and homemade jerky for me. I love Jack Links but it's so doggone expensive! I bought a jerky cannon and dehydrator to do my own and now I'm making several pounds a week to split with my son. Best snack food ever! I'm now also expanding into "meat sticks" - slim jim type snacks and they turned out really great too and aren't difficult to make.

For meals I tend to go for hamburger patties, shrimp, lobster when it's on sale, and I always keep a big box of diced chicken on hand - I buy it 10 pounds at a time really cheap from a restaurant supply place that's open to the public. I'm constantly finding new ways to do the chicken but lately it's either been a part of hot and sour soup (with 2 eggs drizzled in) or done up with peanut sauce, sweet chili and a bit of sriracha for bite...topped with cut up green onions and some bean sprouts. Yum! It's become my latest obsession. :)

OMG you said the magic word... tortilla! I haven't had one in months but as soon as you mentioned it I *must* do that.
It won't be a regular thing because of carbs but on days like today where everything else sounds crappy that will definitely work.

I just found a low carb corn tortilla recipe and it says it's "3g net" ... I don't do the net hocus-pocus so I'm wondering how much it really is and whether it's worth making them myself. Probably not since I refuse to make tortillas a diet staple again. That's part of what got me in trouble to begin with... lmao

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the kitchen.. LOL
About 12 grams of carbs in a small corn tortilla I believe , but I don't worry about carbs. I have never found anything low carb that was worth the bad taste for a couple carbs. Most "low carb" stuff isn't but a few grams less than the real deal so I say, meh and have the real deal. If you are worried about the 12 carbs you can make it up somewhere else during the day.

string cheese has become repulsive to me
Ditto. String cheese was one of the first solids I could eat but the smell alone makes me want to hurl. Can't eat some other "first foods" anymore either like refried beans or cottage cheese. Those weird taste changes I guess.

As I type this I am eating Chipotle bowl with carnitas, black beans, cheese and a splash of sour cream (nothing else - no rice, veggies or salsas). First time I've tried this. It will last me many meals. I'm only working on about 1/3c in a separate bowl -- very filling.

Ditto. String cheese was one of the first solids I could eat but the smell alone makes me want to hurl. Can't eat some other "first foods" anymore either like refried beans or cottage cheese. Those weird taste changes I guess.

As I type this I am eating Chipotle bowl with carnitas, black beans, cheese and a splash of sour cream (nothing else - no rice, veggies or salsas). First time I've tried this. It will last me many meals. I'm only working on about 1/3c in a separate bowl -- very filling.
I never did like string cheese. My tastes did change over time for sure.

BTW, Qdoba burrito bowl with their pork, brown rice, black beans, chipotle cheese sauce, guac, sour cream and verde salsa was one of my go to meals for a long time. I could eat the whole thing and it was delicious. I am not a Chipotle grill fan because their meat is too dry to me..the pork at Qdoba is dripping in juice and fat and I tell them to give me lots of that juice. Dry things were always the hardest for me so the sour cream, guac, salsa and cheese sauce lubricated the meal for me. :D

Keep in mind that Scott can eat anything and in mass quantities -- most DSers will have trouble with rice, especially early out. (I don't speak from experience -- I am 3 months out and haven't tried rice.)

If you are going to try something that is commonly a problem food for DSers (i.e. carbs, veggies, sugar), do so for the first time when you are at home and have a few hours or overnight to deal with any adverse intestinal effects.

Keep in mind that Scott can eat anything and in mass quantities -- most DSers will have trouble with rice, especially early out. (I don't speak from experience -- I am 3 months out and haven't tried rice.)

If you are going to try something that is commonly a problem food for DSers (i.e. carbs, veggies, sugar), do so for the first time when you are at home and have a few hours or overnight to deal with any adverse intestinal effects.
Yes, that is very true but it wasn't early on. For the first 3-6 months I couldn't eat much and over at the old crazy board I bitched about the fact that I think it is ludicrous how small the sleeves were made (Studies have shown that bougie size did not impact weight loss for the DS).

but yes, thank you to Clematis....DO NOT JUDGE VOLUMES BY WHAT I CAN EAT...and as Clematis said, don't try new things when you are out unless you are close to a bathroom. BTW, if something didn't agree with me I knew it almost immediately because it was coming back up and I felt like hell for a few hours...it wasn't the other end that was the problem, even if I got that food past the stomach. That being said, delicious veggies likesquash, zuchini, onions sauteed in olive oil with salt and pepper are a great way to keep the bowels moving for me but recognize that they could have a violent reaction for you so only a bite or two at a time so you can tell if is going to bother you..

Gas-x chewables are also my friend.

Ut-oh...I ate a package...the whole thing...of Trader Joe's California Rolls yesterday. I was starving and they had no sandwiches or wraps without wheat flour.

Ut-oh...I ate a package...the whole thing...of Trader Joe's California Rolls yesterday. I was starving and they had no sandwiches or wraps without wheat flour.

Thank god you're too spiky for any food to DARE to get crosswise with you. ;)

Latest posts

Back