Holy stomach pain.

Soonerjoseph

So obviously on a 19ish hour drive I got tired of stopping every hour to walk the stomach gas off. I stopped and got some gas-x so I could maybe extend time between stops. Well about 2 hours ago I had the worst pain I've maybe ever had. I even stopped to ask some people where the closest hospital was. They thought I had gotten in a fight I guess because I couldn't stand up right.

Well I decided if I was going to go to the hospital I might as well chance tearing my stitches by inducing vomiting. INSTANT relief! What the hell in the gas-x made me not digest my Gatorade?

It was probably not the gas X but the Gatorade. Had you had Gatorade in the hospital? It is pretty sugary stuff. It also might just have been gas that was not being abated by the medicine and really had nothing to do with either the gas x or the Gatorade. Did your surgeon clear you for Gas X and for Gatorade? Maybe, your stomach was just upset with the drive so soon after major surgery. Whatever it was, I hope you feel better and have a smoother recovery.

It was probably not the gas X but the Gatorade. Had you had Gatorade in the hospital? It is pretty sugary stuff. It also might just have been gas that was not being abated by the medicine and really had nothing to do with either the gas x or the Gatorade. Did your surgeon clear you for Gas X and for Gatorade? Maybe, your stomach was just upset with the drive so soon after major surgery. Whatever it was, I hope you feel better and have a smoother recovery.

Yeah they gave me Gatorade in the hospital...but it was real sugar Gatorade. I was drinking the 0 calorie kind. I just like the taste of fake sugar more. Plus I thought if anything, fake sugar had the opposite effect on everyone: that it made people have diarrhea.

I'll try real Gatorade today? Maybe I should just drink water until I get home.

Drink whatever fluid you can tolerate, but keep drinking! Your headaches will return if you get dehydrated. Please stop at motels and rest. You've had major surgery. Most docs in the US would tell you not to drive AT ALL for 2 weeks. A 20 hr drive is brutal. You've gone to all this pain and expense for the DS -- don't screw yourself up by overdoing it. (This is a mom's advice.)

(I hate Gatorade or any of the electrolyte drinks. This does not bode well for me as I too am going to Esquerra.)

Holy crap! Sounds like something in the Gatorade just didn't sit with you well. Avoid it. If you did ok on the real Gatorade at the hospital and you like it, it's better than not getting any hydration. The hydration is what matters the most right now.

I'm going into mom mode here (sorry, can't help it)... PLEASE don't push yourself too hard on this drive home. Please give yourself plenty of time to rest because you've just had major surgery.

@Clematis - you can tell them you don't want Gatorade I'm sure. I despise Gatorade and mixed it heavily with water at the hospital. The apple juice was just way too sweet so it got heavily mixed with water too. The broth... I had a love/hate relationship with it. It was kind of funky but it wasn't apple juice or gatorade so I went for it :D One of the sleeve patients said they didn't like the broth and had brought their own and the nurses were ok with that so that might be an option for you. They make sure to give you plenty of bottled water so if you like crystal light or something like that, I'm sure that would be ok too as long as they know how much is going in vs. what's coming out. Do you like tea? They had some pretty decent chamomile tea... that was pretty much the highlight of "mealtime" for me LOL

I got back home today and instantly felt a million times better. I think it was exactly what newanatomy said: bouncing around frothed up all the liquid inside my stomach. Once I got home and started moving around, putting stuff away, cleaning a couple things, etc. all the discomfort went away. More than anything right now I wish I could chug down ice water. I feel like I can't get enough water; and I use to HATE water!

I know I rushed getting home but I'm a single dad and missed my girl.

@Clematis Just keep repeating to the staff that you don't want gatorade. I told them I didn't want any gatorade but they brought it anyway. Maybe asking them for a replacement (extra juice or chamomile tea, which as Bebezed said, was actually really good) will give them more incentive to remember not to bring you the gatorade.

As a Father I appreciate you wanting to see your girl, but do me and your little girl a favor please. Take it easy and don't over do it. As I just told you in the other thread about length of channels, you had major surgery and you need rest to allow things to heal.

Good luck and I am glad you are back with your girl. I am sure she missed you and I know you greatly missed her.

As a Father I appreciate you wanting to see your girl, but do me and your little girl a favor please. Take it easy and don't over do it. As I just told you in the other thread about length of channels, you had major surgery and you need rest to allow things to heal.

Good luck and I am glad you are back with your girl. I am sure she missed you and I know you greatly missed her.

I'm gonna admit it. Driving home alone was stupid. I should have begged a family member to go with me.

@Soonerjoseph glad you are home. I must admit the term bullheaded came to mind as I was reading your posts. :). I bet no one has ever called you that. You have got to take care of yourself for that girl you wanted to get home to.

I do understand being thirsty and wanting to guzzle water. I was thirsty for the first couple months. I always got in my 64 Oz but obviously my body needed more. I would caution about drinking really sugary drinks. I know every doc is different so I preface my statement with that- I was required to dilute any drink that had more than 15 carbs per serving. I struggled with liking most drinks except water. One thing I really enjoyed was tomato juice. Lots of folks on here could not drink it early on so proceed with caution.

Take care of you and proceed slowly - use extreme caution. You are a 20 hrs drive from your surgeon so getting back to him will not be easy.
Welcome to the losers bench.

I'm gonna admit it. Driving home alone was stupid. I should have begged a family member to go with me.
What's done is done and you made it, do forget about it.

BTW welcome to the club. You will do very well because you are determined to so.

I'd try smart water, or another electrolyte-enhanced water. I lived on that stuff for the first few weeks. I still keep it in the house and try to have at least 1 bottle per day.

Latest posts

Back