Hi

Daddy Ben

Hi,
I just joined up but have been lurking for a couple of days. I live in Auburn, Alabama with my wife and baby girl. I'm in the process of looking into what surgery and/or surgeon I want right now. I've watched the online seminars for a couple of nearby surgeons for start and have been looking at many locations including here for information on each of the procedures. Im a scientist/engineer by trade so I believe in being well educated before making a big decision. I look forward to talking to you guys and learning a thing or two.

First question for ya'll, is this thread appropriate to start asking questions or should I go to one of the forums to get that started?

Ben

I think you can start asking here, but you may find many of your questions already answered in some of the surgery-specific forums.

If you are looking into getting a DS (and whether you are or not, you SHOULD make sure you know about it before you decide), know that you are going to have to travel for it - there are NO competent DS surgeons in Alabama. You're going to have to go at least as far as Atlanta, or Frisco/Denton TX.

Thank you DiannaCox! I am looking at the gastric sleeve or the DS. I'm 5'11 ~340 so around 47 BMI. I do have sleep apnea and high blood pressure but no other serious comorbidities. I have been looking into Dr. Schmitt in Birmingham for the sleeve. I according to his seminar, they do DS but most Alabama insurance doesn't cover it so they dont do alot of them. All Ive been able to find on his group is positive. I have Bcbs of Virginia (anthem) so thats's not an issue (from what I've read). I've looked into Dr Smith in Atlanta for DS. I think Ive seen where you guys may think he is a decent surgeon but may cherry pick patients.

How can I look into a Dr's history or sanctions and malpractice issues?

Ben

Hi and welcome. You're going to get the best quality of life and the longest lasting results with the DS, IF and only IF you learn how to live well with the procedure. There are just a few rules of how to eat and supplement, and you have to learn how to advocate for yourself with medical professionals, and how to read and interpret your lab work for yourself as concerning the levels of various nutrients. So there is a learning curve, but it's very doable for people who are willing to invest the time to learn it.

Hi there... Just look at this like an engineering problem and you will do great!

Google docs and ask here. We know pretty much everyone who does the DS.

1) "Dr. Schmitt in Birmingham for the sleeve. I according to his seminar, they do DS" Nope, I have NEVER heard of a DSer from this practice. Nope, nope, nope.
2) "most Alabama insurance doesn't cover it" - well, take a look at the attached.
3) "I have Bcbs of Virginia (anthem) so thats's not an issue (from what I've read)." Is it an HMO or PPO or what?

Attachments

• Johnson v. Blue Cross.pdf
    392.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi and welcome! Stick to your guns, research all of your options and heed the advice of the veterans here.

Thank you all. DiannaCox My insurance is a PPO not an HMO. I appreciate the input and education.

Thank you all. DiannaCox My insurance is a PPO not an HMO. I appreciate the input and education.

Welcome! FYI, Diana is a science geek and atty who has fun making insurance companies pay for what they are supposed to pay for. Her partner-in-crime, Larra, is just the sweetest little thing who, politely and ALMOST non-confrontationally, informs the people denying you your benefits that they are wrong on every issue they present. I'm pretty sure she smiles while doing it.

I know little of any of that, but I was stationed at Ft. McClellan, now known as a toxic waste area but it seemed pretty close at the time, for Basic Training...so I was once neighbors with your parents or grandparents. (You weren't born yet.) My job here is to say the stuff the polite people don't actually say aloud.

Hi and welcome!
I looked up the practice of Dr. Schmitt in Birmingham. Nowhere on their website do they so much as mention the DS. They don't even mention it as a revisional surgery option, though they do discuss revisional surgery. Diana is right, this is NOT a practice that can offer you the DS. Even for revision of gastric bypass, they suggest band over bypass, which is an unproven revision surgery. If you decide on the sleeve this would probably be a good alternative, at least that's what they seem to be recommending, and I certainly agree that sleeve is superior to lap band or gastric bypass. As far as insurance goes, what matters is what YOUR insurance covers, not what most insurers cover, and I doubt that this practice has really looked at this issue anyway because they don't do the DS, so why bother. And besides, depending on the nature of your insurance, you may have appeals rights. So don't let some vague statement about what insurance usually covers be a factor in your decision.
You mentioned that you have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. Bariatric surgery is about so much more than weight loss, it's more about improving your health, and the DS has the highest rates of permanent resolution for both high blood pressure and sleep apnea (it's far and away the best alternative for type 2 diabetes as well, but that isn't your problem). Resolution, or at least maximal improvement, in sleep apnea is dependent on how much excess weigiht you lose rather than metabolic changes like with diabetes. And the DS has the highest percentage excess weight loss, and best maintenance of that weight loss, of any bariatric surgery.
Dr. Smith in Atlanta has an excellent reputation as a DS surgeon. I wouldn't say he cherry picks, so much as he is more demanding of his patients in terms of pre-op screening. That doesn't mean he turns people down, rather that he knows what he's getting into. I don't think that's a bad thing. Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX trained with the late Dr. Stewart and is very well regarded in his own right. He has even begun doing RNY to DS revisions, which is the toughest bariatric surgery being done. So I think you would be in good hands with either of these surgeons.

Keep on doing your research. Engineers are notoriously detail oriented and I'm sure you will learn everything you can before making this important decision.

Good deal. I know a little about Ft McClellan and the depot. Glad theyve been incinerating the nerve gas and chemical warfare stuff. I think most if not all is gone now.

Ben, my MIL lives in AL and had to have surgery in September. She was in the same building with Dr. Schmitt And my husband and I ended up going thru their waiting room while she was having bloodwork. Of course, the staff asked if we were looking for them. I said no but we had already had WLS. Of course, she asked which one and I said the DS...got the deer in headlights look and they said, they hadn't heard of that one.

IF you do talk to him, make him draw the surgery he plans on doing. Ask where he learned it and how many he has done and ask if you may speak with any of his current DSer's.

I suspect his office is a "bait and don't switch" practice.

Another option is Dr. Boyce in Knoxville, TN

Hi Ben, and welcome to the site. Coming to this site is one of the best things that could have happened to you regarding WLS. I am a pre-op also and have been lurking around here since last June or so. I, like you am also an Engineer and regard myself as a student of science and life and never stop learning. I may be relatively new to WLS…but, I promise you, I considered myself kind of an expert on nutrition, calories, carbs, working out etc., and I have literally been humbled in the presence and knowledge of the people on this site. These Ladies (mostly), know more than 99.9% of the Dr.’s regarding pre-op/post-op, nutrition, vitamins, short term/long term statistics and on and on and on.

Look, listen, learn and then Leap! (I just made that up BTW)…lol. For over 6 months I have been an information junkie and at least know that the decision I made was an informed one. I won’t get into specifics just yet, but given your BMI and weight which is similar to mine and given the math, the statistics for LONG TERM success, the DS was by far the best WLS selection for me. Anyway, could luck with it. Rob

Latest posts

Back