Hi to all

unavidanueva

Hello there,

I'm new here. I've read the responses to a couple of other introductory posts. I see that a little extra info about myself can be helpful, so I guess I'll just jump right in and hope you guys will catch me. You seem to have strong arms and hearts.

I am 49, and have been big my whole life -- or at least, all of my life that I can remember, beginning at age 3. I am 6'1", and when I went away to college I weighed 330 pounds. I have always tried to be active and eat well, and while I could never manage to lose more than 20-30 pounds (which would always return and bring friends with them), for most of my life I had no real health problems … until the past 15 years.

A marriage that wasn't what it was supposed to be, three kids, two c-sections, a knee injury, and off-the-charts stress. Three years ago, I'd finally had it, and took the kids and left. Began the process of discovering just how damaged my life, soul, and health had been. Changed docs, got everything tested. High blood pressure, early diabetes, weight that had ballooned from 383 to well over 400 and was still going up. Two years ago, I woke from sleep because my heart was jumping all over the place; went to the hospital and found I was in atrial fibrillation caused by undiagnosed sleep apnea.

Last May, I decided I had to change something or get ready for an early death. Joined a local bootcamp-y gym, and discovered that I weighed 460. I worked out with a trainer five days/week and by the end of August had lost almost 50 pounds, but then they started creeping back on. Quit the gym in December when my joints and wallet could not handle it anymore, and now I am back up to 445.

I had never considered WLS before. My ex tried a few times to push it on me and shame me into it, and I always told him there was no way I was going to mutilate myself for him. I'd heard horror stories of people dying, or finding ways to outmaneuver the surgery by eating stuff that would slip past the band until they ended up gaining everything back. I'd been though years of physical therapy on my gut, working to loosen the scars and adhesions and restrictions from my c-sections; the last thing I wanted was for someone to cut me open again. And I guess I also thought WLS would be cheating -- that I had made this problem for myself, and I had to clean up my own mess and not look for the easy way out.

And then, two months ago, I was talking with a friend. We'd been workout buddies at the gym last year, and the friendship had grown from there. She told me she'd had a lap band about 8 years ago, and showed me pictures of how big she used to be.

I was stunned. She'd had WLS and wasn't dead. Her body is nowhere near perfect, and she is technically still obese (probably wears a size 22/24), but she is mobile and active and happy.

Then I found two other women I used to know (I Facebook stalked them, actually!). Sisters who were my height and size or bigger, and now they are shadows of their former selves because they each had RNY about 8-10 years ago.

I started looking into things. I became convinced of the gastric sleeve, because again, I didn't want anyone messing in my c-section area. Did a lot of research on it, and also on Chicago-area surgeons. Dr. Prachand at the U of Chicago seemed to have the most experience operating on people of my size, so I made an appointment and had my first meeting with him and his team last week.

He strongly recommends that I do the DS. I came home with my mind blown and challenged, and started researching again. I've been reading for five days now. I know he is right. But I'm scared.

Have any of you had experience with gut re-routing after previous c-sections? Or with a-fib? And how long did it take for all the vitamin supplement info to make sense to you?

This post is long enough already. Thank you for starting this site, and for the time and work that you put toward helping the rest of us. It is much appreciated.

Candy

Hi and welcome!

It's great that you found your way here and are doing your research. And you were very, very fortunate to find your way to a surgeon who told you about and recommended the DS. The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery not just for percentage excess weight loss, but also for maintenance of that weight loss (extremely important!) and for resolution of almost all comorbidities, including type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea and high blood pressure. Does this sound like anyone you know? Like, maybe, you?

I can understand the appeal of the sleeve, esp given your past surgeries. And there will be some people who are successful with the sleeve. But more and more, we are seeing people who want/need revision to the DS from the sleeve because of either inadequate weight loss or significant weight regain. And the sleeve definitely does not have the same statistics for resolution of major comorbidities that the DS has.

So keep on researching, and if you possibly can, get over the idea that your morbid obesity is your fault and that you can, or should, somehow claw your way back to health without assistance. The more we learn about obesity, the more we know that the causes are multifactorial and not entirely under our control, and the more we learn that once someone is MO the chances of getting back to a normal weight are less than 5%. And it's not as though you haven't tried. That's another sign that the sleeve wouldn't be enough for you as well - how much less can you eat?? how much more can you exercise?? And yet your excellent effort wasn't enough.

there is no shame in seeking medical care for a medical problem. And that's all you are doing.

Prior to my DS, I had an ovary and fallopian tube removed in an open surgery in 1975; a C-section in 1985 and exploratory laparoscopy and ovarian cyst reduction in 2000. I had a lot of scarring and adhesions - which were lysed during my DS in 2003, without much comment. The DS surgeons expect this.

The vitamins - I have a PhD in medical biochemistry. I STILL don't know everything, and don't pretend to - nobody does. We consult with one another (the doctors and nutritionists are essentially useless on this topic anyway - the knowledge base is in the PATIENTS), and we help each other.

You have no business getting anything other than the DS - nothing else is going to work for you, IMNSHO (this is not medical advice, of course - though, yeah, it kinda is).

Welcome Candy. I am SO happy for you because you somehow found this site. The people her are SO informed regarding everything you can think of regarding WL and WLS, nutrition etc. They are the best of the best and make it their missions to save people like you/me/we/us from ourselves and the GREEDY GD Medical world selling crap bands, making bad decisions, or at the very least, mis-informed decisions.

The only advice I’m capable of giving is to look, listen and learn all you can and you will make the right decisions you need to based on your newly obtained knowledge! My best wishes to you.

Hi Candy and Welcome! You have come to the right place.
I am five weeks out from surgery and down 40 pounds. I will admit that it has been hard to wrap my head around the vitamin needs, but I am trying. I will tell you this...I researched EVERYTHING and then chose the DS because it has the best results and the best maintenance results (think 10 years from now).

My advice to you is to read the forums here, ask questions of the people that have had the DS, and keep an open mind. Research, research, research. Ask questions of your surgeon and his staff. But mostly ask questions of those that have had it. They will tell you.

I started looking into things. I became convinced of the gastric sleeve, because again, I didn't want anyone messing in my c-section area. Did a lot of research on it, and also on Chicago-area surgeons. Dr. Prachand at the U of Chicago seemed to have the most experience operating on people of my size, so I made an appointment and had my first meeting with him and his team last week.

He strongly recommends that I do the DS. I came home with my mind blown and challenged, and started researching again. I've been reading for five days now. I know he is right. But I'm scared.

Have any of you had experience with gut re-routing after previous c-sections? Or with a-fib? And how long did it take for all the vitamin supplement info to make sense to you?
I am so glad you found a surgeon who suggested you would do best with the DS.

Okay, Not AS many abdominal surgeries under my belt but I did have an open hysterectomy in 1994. Other than the possibility of having adhesions from previous surgeries, there is really nothing else that concerned me going into the DS. But I told my surgeon and he didn't see an issue at all. Had mine 4.5 years ago and had a textbook recovery, no complications at all. (Okay, except for my gall bladder heading south 6 months later and having to have it removed. If my surgeon just took out the gall bladder as part of the DS, I would not have needed another surgery 6 months later).

Vitamins...when I first started, the ONLY two that I understood was the B12 and the B6 and the reason is buried in long past of my medical history. I have a nerve disease from diabetes and those two are critical to nerve health. The rest, I have been learning. I don't claim to know everything...none of us do but collectively we have FAR more knowledge of what vitamins and minerals we need after surgery than the surgeons do. We have to live with the results, THEY do not.

Best place to start is with the Vitalady list and then tweak POST-OP based on your own labs. And we are glad to help.

A couple of places to start. Get a good basic Centrum equivalent. If you are near a Costco, get the Kirkland Daily multi. I take three a day...some take just two. But it's a cheap "fill in the blank" vitamin. Do NOT even buy into the idea of an ADEK or a bariatric vitamin or an all in one. They are like "one size fits all" pantyhose...they just do not work for MOST of us. Chewables...check the carb count first. Anything that is chewable NEEDS to be the Centrum equivalent. Some of what you will need ONLY comes in capsules. And for your own sake, do NOT bother with Flintstones...they are not even good for kids.

Prior to my DS, I had an ovary and fallopian tube removed in an open surgery in 1975; a C-section in 1985 and exploratory laparoscopy and ovarian cyst reduction in 2000. I had a lot of scarring and adhesions - which were lysed during my DS in 2003, without much comment. The DS surgeons expect this.

The vitamins - I have a PhD in medical biochemistry. I STILL don't know everything, and don't pretend to - nobody does. We consult with one another (the doctors and nutritionists are essentially useless on this topic anyway - the knowledge base is in the PATIENTS), and we help each other.

You have no business getting anything other than the DS - nothing else is going to work for you, IMNSHO (this is not medical advice, of course - though, yeah, it kinda is).

Thank you for sharing your own surgical history with me, Diana. In most of what I've read on other boards, no one seems to mention all the other stuff -- they might talk about their comorbidities, but not other prior surgeries. Heck, I've rarely even seen people refer to their age or height. It is hard for me to put this surgery -- or their results -- in context without having some of that other background information.

Welcome. Glad you're here.

Regarding the vitamins; sure after 10 years I have a handle on what I need. However, I still have bloods drawn every 6 months & tweak my vitamins from there. I still consult with my DS nutrit. to go over those blood results and confirm what should be tweaked. Plus I still consult with her whenever I have a problem (I'm working with her now as I'm having an issue). I also consult with other DSers for information on the topic.

I am so glad you found a surgeon who suggested you would do best with the DS.

Okay, Not AS many abdominal surgeries under my belt but I did have an open hysterectomy in 1994. Other than the possibility of having adhesions from previous surgeries, there is really nothing else that concerned me going into the DS. But I told my surgeon and he didn't see an issue at all. Had mine 4.5 years ago and had a textbook recovery, no complications at all. (Okay, except for my gall bladder heading south 6 months later and having to have it removed. If my surgeon just took out the gall bladder as part of the DS, I would not have needed another surgery 6 months later).

Vitamins...when I first started, the ONLY two that I understood was the B12 and the B6 and the reason is buried in long past of my medical history. I have a nerve disease from diabetes and those two are critical to nerve health. The rest, I have been learning. I don't claim to know everything...none of us do but collectively we have FAR more knowledge of what vitamins and minerals we need after surgery than the surgeons do. We have to live with the results, THEY do not.

Best place to start is with the Vitalady list and then tweak POST-OP based on your own labs. And we are glad to help.

A couple of places to start. Get a good basic Centrum equivalent. If you are near a Costco, get the Kirkland Daily multi. I take three a day...some take just two. But it's a cheap "fill in the blank" vitamin. Do NOT even buy into the idea of an ADEK or a bariatric vitamin or an all in one. They are like "one size fits all" pantyhose...they just do not work for MOST of us. Chewables...check the carb count first. Anything that is chewable NEEDS to be the Centrum equivalent. Some of what you will need ONLY comes in capsules. And for your own sake, do NOT bother with Flintstones...they are not even good for kids.

I already downloaded the Vitalady list. Read it. Got confused. Read it again. Compared it to the list from my surgeon's website. :/ Not the same, of course. I need to print them both out and do some studying.

When you talk about "an ADEK or a bariatric vitamin or an all in one," are these things that are recommended or marketed to bariatric surgery patients?

I have decided to take the bull by the horns, here. Scheduled a mammo, pap, and an appt with the local gastro guy because Dr. P said he would want me to have a colonoscopy prior to approving/scheduling the DS. Just called Dr. P's office to say, yes, I want to do the DS. A very helpful woman read me the "what else I'll have to do first" list from the letter they will be sending me in a week or so. Talked to my cardiologist's assistant to get that surgical clearance ball rolling. (Yikes ... she said the words "medical stress test" ... ) And planning to head in to Chicago tomorrow for their monthly support group meeting.

Looks like a busy summer.

I do have another question. The surgeon's office wants labs done, of course, the basic stuff -- lipid profile, HbA1c. I have an appt with my PCP next week, and was planning to give his office a call so I can get the bloodwork done first and discuss it with him at the appt. Is there a list of other labs that I should ask him to have drawn, as long as I will already be "donating"? Seems like I've read that it's not a bad idea to get a baseline, pre-surgery measure of vitamin levels. Could one of you point me toward a list somewhere of what those labs are? I'd like to be prepared, as I've read so many comments about the docs not always knowing how to watch over the nutritional needs of DS patients.

I do have another question. The surgeon's office wants labs done, of course, the basic stuff -- lipid profile, HbA1c. I have an appt with my PCP next week, and was planning to give his office a call so I can get the bloodwork done first and discuss it with him at the appt. Is there a list of other labs that I should ask him to have drawn, as long as I will already be "donating"? Seems like I've read that it's not a bad idea to get a baseline, pre-surgery measure of vitamin levels. Could one of you point me toward a list somewhere of what those labs are? I'd like to be prepared, as I've read so many comments about the docs not always knowing how to watch over the nutritional needs of DS patients.

My Bariatric Surgeon ordered all of my labs and pre-op testing. My PCP didn't even order those. All I needed was an OK from my PCP so my insurance would pay.

Welcome. Glad you're here.

Regarding the vitamins; sure after 10 years I have a handle on what I need. However, I still have bloods drawn every 6 months & tweak my vitamins from there. I still consult with my DS nutrit. to go over those blood results and confirm what should be tweaked. Plus I still consult with her whenever I have a problem (I'm working with her now as I'm having an issue). I also consult with other DSers for information on the topic.

Wow. Thank you for providing the link to your pics. What an incredible, lasting change in your life.

Vitalady's suggested list is here but is hard to figure out.

My husband and I took his surgeon's list, my surgeon's list, and the vitalady list and made a much "cleaner" copy. It's available for download here: And Diana linked her surgeon's under that in the same thread.

My pre-op labs were pulled by my surgeon. My post op, my PCP handles since he is local and my surgeon is now over 3 hours away.

I already downloaded the Vitalady list. Read it. Got confused. Read it again. Compared it to the list from my surgeon's website. :/ Not the same, of course. I need to print them both out and do some studying.

When you talk about "an ADEK or a bariatric vitamin or an all in one," are these things that are recommended or marketed to bariatric surgery patients?

I have decided to take the bull by the horns, here. Scheduled a mammo, pap, and an appt with the local gastro guy because Dr. P said he would want me to have a colonoscopy prior to approving/scheduling the DS. Just called Dr. P's office to say, yes, I want to do the DS. A very helpful woman read me the "what else I'll have to do first" list from the letter they will be sending me in a week or so. Talked to my cardiologist's assistant to get that surgical clearance ball rolling. (Yikes ... she said the words "medical stress test" ... ) And planning to head in to Chicago tomorrow for their monthly support group meeting.

Looks like a busy summer.
Very few match the Vitalady list since MOST of them base them on the ASBMS info and check the absolute minimal.

There are products like the Celebrate Multi ADEK or the one by Bariatic Advantage. Then there is the BariLife crap my surgeon pushes. He STATES that all a DS'er needs is 8 scoops a day and it has everything we need. HOGWASH!

The problem with an ADEK or an "all in one" is you can not adjust each one individually. Example, I don't need any extra A or E but need double of the K and an odd amount of the D.

Cost is also a factor. My Kirkland Daily multi costs me $.10 a day for THREE of the tablets. the Kirkland Multi has 500 in it/cost about $15.00 for the bottle. The Celebrate ADEK is 120 pills for a cost of $22.95, serving size is 3 a day for a cost of $.76 for one day...remember, mine cost a dime. So in one month, the Celebrate would cost the $22.95, mine would cost $3.00 a MONTH. I spend JUST a touch over $30.00 a YEAR for my multi's.
WHY spend more money than you need to spend.

Latest posts

Back