Mantecawife

I joined about 10 days ago but I have not sat down to introduce myself!

My name is Shana. I am a 50 year (51 years old in April) stay at home mother. My sons are 20 years old (21 years old in May) and 17 years old (18 years old in May). I have been married for 22 years.

I have been overweight since 9 years old. I have been on EVERY diet known to man.

I was approved for surgery (sleeve) in 9/2021 but I cancelled it 2 days prior to surgery. Something felt off. I also felt I was not ready. In the 6 month waiting period per insurance, I GAINED approximately 40 pounds. When I started the journey, I was approximately 260 pounds.

Also, in 4/2023, I had a total knee replacement.

So, flash forward 1year, 8 months (5/2023), I came across an Instagram account that featured a woman who had had the duodenal switch loop WLS in 12/2021 and lost a massive amount of weight and was preparing for plastic surgery to remove her excess fat from her stomach.

I was floored! She looked fantastic! I had never heard of that type of WLS. It was not an option at my last MD’s office.

After researching for about a month. I looked into my insurance again for coverage of WLS. I noticed that there was a Bariactric surgeons’ office about 20 minutes away. The last time, the only office that was covered was about 2 hours away. I had to do all my testing and requirements there.

So I called the office located near me at the end of May. It was the first good sign! They have a seminar once a month and the next one was June 9th, 2023! I quickly signed up!

On June 9th, 2023, I went to the seminar. We were able to meet one of the surgeons and he answered a lot of questions! Also, the office gave each person a folder with the insurance requirements to Bariactric surgery. Again, I was floored! It was 1/3 of the requirements from 2/2021! I was so happy! My husband, not so much. Was against the surgery in 9/2021. And now was REALLY against this surgery for many reasons. One being, I never finish what I start. I did agree with him on that. I have not kept off weight when I lost it. I never did any exercise after my knee replacement. I agree with him. But I brought up the point that I am so determined and desperate, I am willing to risk my life to get healthy. He was not happy. But, I needed to do this.

On 6/9/23, I weighed 283. On August 29, 2023, I met with the Bariactric nutritionist (a requirement). We discussed my eating habits, soda drinking habits, and my fast food habits. I was a mess. I thought I only had to meet with her 1 time. She said she wanted me to come up with a discontinue date for soda/carbonation. I told her I was quitting 8/30/23. I don’t think she had much hope. She told me to only eat out up to 10 times. (I ate about 15 take out meals a week).

The next day, I started my new way of life. I was to meet with her in 2 weeks. I logged everything I ate

Well, in two weeks, I lost 15 pounds and had not had a drop of carbonation. No soda of any kind. I only ate out once. She was so impressed, she approved me to go forward with the surgery. During the two weeks, my husband would tell me that I was doing so well, I did not need the surgery. Other comment: how the surgery is dangerous. I finally talked to him because I was tired of it. I told him that he may not like it but it is happening. He stopped with the smart comments. I know it was because he was scared. I know that. I was trying to be gentle with him but enough was enough.

I got negative feedback from his father as well. He is a whole different story. This introduction is way too long as it. So, another time.

On surgery day, 10/31/23, I weighed 263.7 pounds.

Surgery went well, went home the next day. Until 12/21/23, when my gallbladder came out, I was miserable. But I never regretted. The office staff and doctors were amazing!

Around 1/1/24, is when I started to feel like myself, well, my new self.

So much has happened since my WLS! So many positives! But with not being able use food to deal with things, I am noticing the increase of my shopping. I thought I would be so good and have not have transfer addiction. But, I started to address it head on this past weekend. I am pretty proud of that!

I searched for a group would understand the emotions and events that go along with WLS. I am excited I found this forum!

Anyway, as you can tell, I am a very detailed open book! Ask me anything!

Thank you for reading!

Congrats on taking care of YOU! I had the DS back in 2002 and I’m still holding off a 250lb weight loss. I too was ready to have the surgery because I figured I was going to die if I didn’t. I felt I’d rather die on the table trying. 👏👏👏

Hello @Mantecawife. Glad you were able to decide to go through with it. I know it can be a difficult decision. I hope your husband is really coming around as I think he’ll see a lot of benefits as well.

As for the transfer addiction, unfortunately, it’s all too common. Glad you’re working on getting a handle on it,

Hi Shana and Welcome! glad to hear things have been going so well for you.

:welcome:
Thank you!
Hello @Mantecawife. Glad you were able to decide to go through with it. I know it can be a difficult decision. I hope your husband is really coming around as I think he’ll see a lot of benefits as well.

As for the transfer addiction, unfortunately, it’s all too common. Glad you’re working on getting a handle on it,
Thank you so much!

Congrats on taking care of YOU! I had the DS back in 2002 and I’m still holding off a 250lb weight loss. I too was ready to have the surgery because I figured I was going to die if I didn’t. I felt I’d rather die on the table trying. 👏👏👏
Absolutely! Felt and feels the same way!

My husband and I are finally getting around to bigger issues. In the end, our whole is benefiting from this surgery!

I joined about 10 days ago but I have not sat down to introduce myself!

My name is Shana. I am a 50 year (51 years old in April) stay at home mother. My sons are 20 years old (21 years old in May) and 17 years old (18 years old in May). I have been married for 22 years.

I have been overweight since 9 years old. I have been on EVERY diet known to man.

I was approved for surgery (sleeve) in 9/2021 but I cancelled it 2 days prior to surgery. Something felt off. I also felt I was not ready. In the 6 month waiting period per insurance, I GAINED approximately 40 pounds. When I started the journey, I was approximately 260 pounds.

Also, in 4/2023, I had a total knee replacement.

So, flash forward 1year, 8 months (5/2023), I came across an Instagram account that featured a woman who had had the duodenal switch loop WLS in 12/2021 and lost a massive amount of weight and was preparing for plastic surgery to remove her excess fat from her stomach.

I was floored! She looked fantastic! I had never heard of that type of WLS. It was not an option at my last MD’s office.

After researching for about a month. I looked into my insurance again for coverage of WLS. I noticed that there was a Bariactric surgeons’ office about 20 minutes away. The last time, the only office that was covered was about 2 hours away. I had to do all my testing and requirements there.

So I called the office located near me at the end of May. It was the first good sign! They have a seminar once a month and the next one was June 9th, 2023! I quickly signed up!

On June 9th, 2023, I went to the seminar. We were able to meet one of the surgeons and he answered a lot of questions! Also, the office gave each person a folder with the insurance requirements to Bariactric surgery. Again, I was floored! It was 1/3 of the requirements from 2/2021! I was so happy! My husband, not so much. Was against the surgery in 9/2021. And now was REALLY against this surgery for many reasons. One being, I never finish what I start. I did agree with him on that. I have not kept off weight when I lost it. I never did any exercise after my knee replacement. I agree with him. But I brought up the point that I am so determined and desperate, I am willing to risk my life to get healthy. He was not happy. But, I needed to do this.

On 6/9/23, I weighed 283. On August 29, 2023, I met with the Bariactric nutritionist (a requirement). We discussed my eating habits, soda drinking habits, and my fast food habits. I was a mess. I thought I only had to meet with her 1 time. She said she wanted me to come up with a discontinue date for soda/carbonation. I told her I was quitting 8/30/23. I don’t think she had much hope. She told me to only eat out up to 10 times. (I ate about 15 take out meals a week).

The next day, I started my new way of life. I was to meet with her in 2 weeks. I logged everything I ate

Well, in two weeks, I lost 15 pounds and had not had a drop of carbonation. No soda of any kind. I only ate out once. She was so impressed, she approved me to go forward with the surgery. During the two weeks, my husband would tell me that I was doing so well, I did not need the surgery. Other comment: how the surgery is dangerous. I finally talked to him because I was tired of it. I told him that he may not like it but it is happening. He stopped with the smart comments. I know it was because he was scared. I know that. I was trying to be gentle with him but enough was enough.

I got negative feedback from his father as well. He is a whole different story. This introduction is way too long as it. So, another time.

On surgery day, 10/31/23, I weighed 263.7 pounds.

Surgery went well, went home the next day. Until 12/21/23, when my gallbladder came out, I was miserable. But I never regretted. The office staff and doctors were amazing!

Around 1/1/24, is when I started to feel like myself, well, my new self.

So much has happened since my WLS! So many positives! But with not being able use food to deal with things, I am noticing the increase of my shopping. I thought I would be so good and have not have transfer addiction. But, I started to address it head on this past weekend. I am pretty proud of that!

I searched for a group would understand the emotions and events that go along with WLS. I am excited I found this forum!

Anyway, as you can tell, I am a very detailed open book! Ask me anything!

Thank you for reading!
I’m so proud of you! My journey was bet similar to yours. I was with Kaiser ( my insurance company) and they refused to do the surgery. I knew there was one doctor there who had been trained under one of the most respected bariactric surgeons in California (a pioneer at UCLA). I knew the fact because I joined this group (when it at another website before this) and someone was talking about it. So I fought the insurance company-tooth and nail for the DS. It was really hard but after lots of tears and yelling, they let me meet with the surgeon who eventually approved it. That was 2011. I was also about 260 when I started the journey. I was 37 then and am now turning 50 this year. My current weight fluctuates between 113 and 115. I’m 5 ft 4. It’s been a journey all of these years but I’ve consistently keep the weight off. The DS is a great tool for losing the weight. There is no question that people can lose weight from the DS but keeping it off requires real lifestyle changes. I suggest you consider seeing a therapist for the addiction issues (food, shopping, etc.). I hope that isn’t overstepping boundaries. Again I’m very proud of you for fighting for what you knew was best for you. Welcome to the club!

Last edited:
I’m so proud of you! My journey was bet similar to yours. I was with Kaiser ( my insurance company) and they refused to do the surgery. I knew there was one doctor there who had been trained under one of the most respected bariactric surgeons in California (a pioneer at UCLA). I knew the fact because I joined this group (when it at another website before this) and someone was talking about it. So I fought the insurance company-tooth and nail for the DS. It was really hard but after lots of tears and yelling, they let me meet with the surgeon who eventually approved it. That was 2011. I was also about 260 when I started the journey. I was 37 then and am now turning 50 this year. My current weight fluctuates between 113 and 115. I’m 5 ft 4. It’s been a journey all of these years but I’ve consistently keep the weight off. The DS is a great tool for losing the weight. There is no question that people can lose weight from the DS but keeping it off requires real lifestyle changes. I suggest you consider seeing a therapist for the addiction issues (food, shopping, etc.). I hope that isn’t overstepping boundaries. Again I’m very proud of you for fighting for what you knew was best for you. Welcome to the club!
Thank you so much!

No! You are not overstepping! I appreciate your view point.

I have been going to therapy since I was 15 years old. More intense therapy with 1 therapist for about 10 years. She is great in the fact, she does not take my excuses and makes me stay focused.

I believe that my food addiction goes deep.

Since my surgery, my food addiction has turned to shopping addiction.

I started to address it fully (my spending addictions) last Tuesday. Really addressing the issue. I see my therapist weekly.

I feel a sense of accomplishment of what I have done in just a week. I am excited for the future!

Latest posts

Back