Hey, y'all!

Ahhh...
I had started (and then abandoned) this journey in 2008. I had Roux-En-Y surgery scheduled for 9/29/08 until my insurance company decided I needed to go on a 12 month, doctor-supervised diet. I didn't think so at the time, but I was devastated. I am NOT a patient GreenEyedGrrl. Well, 2009 brought the death of both of my parents. 2010 brought a move across the country from California to Virginia. In 2012, we moved to West Virginia to get out of the hustle and bustle of the DC metro area and I began commuting to work 1-2 hours EACH way EACH day. ::shudder:: In 2012, my husband lost his job. In 2013, after 12 years, I lost my job. We refer to this period of our lives as the "Dark Times". I wish I could say that at least I lost weight during this time, you know.. cuz we couldn't afford food and whatever...but I didn't. Notice how all the super cheap food is reaaaalllllly bad for you? MMhmm. But my husband (referred to from here on as his superhero name- "Bear") got a job in early 2014. And guess what?? This job came with... wait for it....INSURANCE! WHOOP. Because I am me and my luck stinks on ice, the insurance company did not cover any type of weight loss anything. No medication, no counseling, no nutrition classes and definitely, absolutely and in no way did they cover baratric surgery. I can still hear the rep on the phone laughing and probably pointing as I asked the question with hope dripping from my soul. Jerk.

But here I am in 2016 and Bear's company got eaten by another company in 2015 which meant new insurance in 2016. I'm sure you've guessed by now... they cover bariatric surgery! So on July 18, I had the duodenal switch surgery. The first two weeks were wretched. The pain was unimaginable and the piddly 5 mg. hydrocodone my dr. prescribed only posted on Facebook how funny it was that I thought it would even touch my pain. ::sigh:: 7 weeks later and after several struggles, I have only lost 27 lbs. I know, I know... "only" 27 lbs. My dr set the expectation that I would lose about a pound per day. What's a GreenEyedGrrl to do besides get her sad, chubby hopes up?

I am currently focusing on getting in my protein (100ish grams/daily), my fluids (80+ oz. daily) and my vitamins (3 chewable multis, 3 chewable calciums, 2 chewable irons). Since, for some stupid reason, I did NOT wake up from surgery already skinny, I guess I'll have to keep trying. :)

Of course, you are impatient, having waited so long and gone through so much to get here! Everyone loses at their own pace and as long as you aren't having carbs in the initial weight loss phase, you will make it work. I am concerned about your vitamin choices. Your vitamin regimen at 7 weeks is way below what you will need in several ways, especially vitamin D3, dry vitamin A, dry E, K, zinc, iron, copper, etc. There are guidelines posted on this site, and I encourage you to quickly get with the appropriate vitamin and mineral routine. The weight will continue to fall off, if you stay away from carbs, eliminate sugar, juice, and soft drinks, etc. It isn't a magic bullet--there is a change you have to make in food choices and food quantities, but it is the last diet you will ever be on if you do it right! Good luck...

Hang on Green... First of all, I can't think of any 8 pill a day vites that are enough for us. Period. And there is no reason for you to do chewables at all. Nasty! Did you have a real DS? How long is your CC? Who is your surgeon? And they should be ashamed at their lack of pain control!

What are you eating? What do you know about a DS diet?

Anyway, tell us more and we can help you get on track!

Ahhh...
I had started (and then abandoned) this journey in 2008. I had Roux-En-Y surgery scheduled for 9/29/08 until my insurance company decided I needed to go on a 12 month, doctor-supervised diet. I didn't think so at the time, but I was devastated. I am NOT a patient GreenEyedGrrl. Well, 2009 brought the death of both of my parents. 2010 brought a move across the country from California to Virginia. In 2012, we moved to West Virginia to get out of the hustle and bustle of the DC metro area and I began commuting to work 1-2 hours EACH way EACH day. ::shudder:: In 2012, my husband lost his job. In 2013, after 12 years, I lost my job. We refer to this period of our lives as the "Dark Times". I wish I could say that at least I lost weight during this time, you know.. cuz we couldn't afford food and whatever...but I didn't. Notice how all the super cheap food is reaaaalllllly bad for you? MMhmm. But my husband (referred to from here on as his superhero name- "Bear") got a job in early 2014. And guess what?? This job came with... wait for it....INSURANCE! WHOOP. Because I am me and my luck stinks on ice, the insurance company did not cover any type of weight loss anything. No medication, no counseling, no nutrition classes and definitely, absolutely and in no way did they cover baratric surgery. I can still hear the rep on the phone laughing and probably pointing as I asked the question with hope dripping from my soul. Jerk.

But here I am in 2016 and Bear's company got eaten by another company in 2015 which meant new insurance in 2016. I'm sure you've guessed by now... they cover bariatric surgery! So on July 18, I had the duodenal switch surgery. The first two weeks were wretched. The pain was unimaginable and the piddly 5 mg. hydrocodone my dr. prescribed only posted on Facebook how funny it was that I thought it would even touch my pain. ::sigh:: 7 weeks later and after several struggles, I have only lost 27 lbs. I know, I know... "only" 27 lbs. My dr set the expectation that I would lose about a pound per day. What's a GreenEyedGrrl to do besides get her sad, chubby hopes up?

I am currently focusing on getting in my protein (100ish grams/daily), my fluids (80+ oz. daily) and my vitamins (3 chewable multis, 3 chewable calciums, 2 chewable irons). Since, for some stupid reason, I did NOT wake up from surgery already skinny, I guess I'll have to keep trying. :)
Hi and welcome @GreenEyedGrrl24 ! Lots of quality information and genuine support here. I would encourage you to read all you can and ask questions. We each have a different DS - you just need to learn yours, keep focus on protein, hydration, vitamins and walking, and the weight will come off!

Of course, you are impatient, having waited so long and gone through so much to get here! Everyone loses at their own pace and as long as you aren't having carbs in the initial weight loss phase, you will make it work. I am concerned about your vitamin choices. Your vitamin regimen at 7 weeks is way below what you will need in several ways, especially vitamin D3, dry vitamin A, dry E, K, zinc, iron, copper, etc. There are guidelines posted on this site, and I encourage you to quickly get with the appropriate vitamin and mineral routine. The weight will continue to fall off, if you stay away from carbs, eliminate sugar, juice, and soft drinks, etc. It isn't a magic bullet--there is a change you have to make in food choices and food quantities, but it is the last diet you will ever be on if you do it right! Good luck...

I asked my (@*#& surgeon AND dietician about the vitamins and was told I could only digest so much and there is no "proof" that additional supplements (like biotin, vitamin E, etc) actually help us. GRR! I will look for the guidelines shortly. I failed to mention that I do take vitamin D as well.

I watch the sugar/carbs of what I eat, though it's mostly just out of habit. The dr's office advised "not to eat too much", but wouldn't give a guideline. They did say not to eat more than 10 grams of fat per meal, which is the complete opposite of everything I've been reading here. I have not had soda since a month before surgery and only drink water, protein drinks, Powerade Zero and the occassional diet lemonade/Iced tea sweetened with splenda. Alrighty... I'm off to research vitamins and fat consumption. If I was frustrated with my surgeon before, I'm downright agitated now!

Hello. Glad you made it over.

While it's too late to send you the [brand new DSer] postop eating guidelines; I do have some my surgeons distribute for the first few mos. PM me your email addy (if you're interested) & I can send them to you on Monday/Tuesday when I'm at my computer.

Welcome @GreenEyedGrrl24

And yeap, my husband woke from his surgery going "Am I skinny yet"...of course not but it never hurts to hope, LOL.

Okay, I've heard of your surgeon...he was trained by mine (Dr. Boyce) which means everything their office tells you about eating and vitamins is NOT enough or even correct. Read everything here, esp in the Vitamin and Labs forum. It will help.

Hang on Green... First of all, I can't think of any 8 pill a day vites that are enough for us. Period. And there is no reason for you to do chewables at all. Nasty! Did you have a real DS? How long is your CC? Who is your surgeon? And they should be ashamed at their lack of pain control!

What are you eating? What do you know about a DS diet?

Anyway, tell us more and we can help you get on track!

I'm taking three Celebrate Multi-ADEK vitamins, two Building Block 30mg Iron (ferrous fumarate) + 75 mg vitamin C vitamins, three Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate vitamins. Oh and 5000 of vitamin D. Ugh!

Regarding how long my common channel is aside from "the size of a small banana". I feel like an idiot as I do not know! And I do not know if I had the Loop or the true DS. When I asked the surgeon if I was having a "true" DS, he said "yes" and asked if I had any other questions. I didn't know what to ask. I will send a message and ask how long my CC is and how many anastomosis I have and get back to you.

My surgeon is James Wiedower out of Winchester, VA. I have basically disliked him from day 1, but he came so highly recommended, I ignored my instincts and went with him anyway.

What do I eat? At this point I am on "soft" foods and I am supposed to have between 100-120 grams of protein a day and 80+ oz of fluids. Each day I have 3 protein shakes (1 Premier Protein, 2 Unjury) and usually have a scrambled egg for breakfast. Lunch is usually chicken salad made with chicken, low-fat mayo (seriously... I was advised not to have more than 10 grams of fat per meal) and onions or low-fat refried beans made with onions and a little salsa. Dinner is egg salad, tuna salad or some sort of shredded chicken something or another. I don't really snack because I have the protein shakes. It sounds like I'm doing this all wrong! EEK!

I have fitness pal and will start documenting my macros. Maybe the low-fat is why I've only lost 27 lbs after 7 weeks and am currently in ANOTHER stall???

Welcome @GreenEyedGrrl24

And yeap, my husband woke from his surgery going "Am I skinny yet"...of course not but it never hurts to hope, LOL.

Okay, I've heard of your surgeon...he was trained by mine (Dr. Boyce) which means everything their office tells you about eating and vitamins is NOT enough or even correct. Read everything here, esp in the Vitamin and Labs forum. It will help.

FINALLY! Proof my surgeon is a momo. I *knew* it! :) I will check out the vitamin info tonight and order what I'm lacking. Oof.

I'm taking three Celebrate Multi-ADEK vitamins, two Building Block 30mg Iron (ferrous fumarate) + 75 mg vitamin C vitamins, three Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate vitamins. Oh and 5000 of vitamin D. Ugh!

Regarding how long my common channel is aside from "the size of a small banana". I feel like an idiot as I do not know! And I do not know if I had the Loop or the true DS. When I asked the surgeon if I was having a "true" DS, he said "yes" and asked if I had any other questions. I didn't know what to ask. I will send a message and ask how long my CC is and how many anastomosis I have and get back to you.

My surgeon is James Wiedower out of Winchester, VA. I have basically disliked him from day 1, but he came so highly recommended, I ignored my instincts and went with him anyway.

What do I eat? At this point I am on "soft" foods and I am supposed to have between 100-120 grams of protein a day and 80+ oz of fluids. Each day I have 3 protein shakes (1 Premier Protein, 2 Unjury) and usually have a scrambled egg for breakfast. Lunch is usually chicken salad made with chicken, low-fat mayo (seriously... I was advised not to have more than 10 grams of fat per meal) and onions or low-fat refried beans made with onions and a little salsa. Dinner is egg salad, tuna salad or some sort of shredded chicken something or another. I don't really snack because I have the protein shakes. It sounds like I'm doing this all wrong! EEK!

I have fitness pal and will start documenting my macros. Maybe the low-fat is why I've only lost 27 lbs after 7 weeks and am currently in ANOTHER stall???
Actually, sounds like you're getting in a good variety of food for this early. Definitely switch out the low-fat everything for regular/full fat everything. Maybe add some shredded cheese to the refried beans and/or your eggs (if you can tolerate dairy), maybe try some full fat Greek yogurt. It's weird at first since we're so conditioned to low fat (and getting bad advice from Drs and Nuts) but we really do need the fat.

Hi and welcome @GreenEyedGrrl24 ! Lots of quality information and genuine support here. I would encourage you to read all you can and ask questions. We each have a different DS - you just need to learn yours, keep focus on protein, hydration, vitamins and walking, and the weight will come off!

Thanks! Will be researching vitamins and fat requirements tonight! :)

FINALLY! Proof my surgeon is a momo. I *knew* it! :) I will check out the vitamin info tonight and order what I'm lacking. Oof.
Oh and there is an Amazon store link on this site that has many of the vitamins we've found work well. Check it out if you want ('BF Store' on the menu bar at top). Same prices as ordering directly from amazon but the site gets a small amount to help keep it going.

Actually, sounds like you're getting in a good variety of food for this early. Definitely switch out the low-fat everything for regular/full fat everything. Maybe add some shredded cheese to the refried beans and/or your eggs (if you can tolerate dairy), maybe try some full fat Greek yogurt. It's weird at first since we're so conditioned to low fat (and getting bad advice from Drs and Nuts) but we really do need the fat.

Thanks! I knew I was doing SOMETHING wrong. I have been on and off low-carb/keto for years and struggled to understand why fat was now bad for me after the DS. Good to know that I can stop fighting with myself over it.

Oh and there is an Amazon store link on this site that has many of the vitamins we've found work well. Check it out if you want ('BF Store' on the menu bar at top). Same prices as ordering directly from amazon but the site gets a small amount to help keep it going.
Brilliant! Thanks!
Be aware that because this site is for ALL WLS types, I added some things (like a vitamin D3 5000 that is for sleevers not DS'ers).

Check the Vitalady links in the Vitamin forum...and if you can, order from her or from the store here. We did the store here not to take business away from her but to add a location in case people preferred to use Amazon without playing hide and seek for types/amounts/brands. :).

Latest posts

Back