Hey, Dreidel-ites!

From my FB posts earlier:
The house is redolent of latkes frying in oil and schmaltz; the carrots are simmering in the homemade chicken soup, waiting to receive my father's homemade matzoh balls; and the pork tenderloin is in the oven (a 17 year old Hamlet-Cox-King family tradition of Jewish culture with a dash of blasphemy - both latkes and pork go nicely with applesauce).

Happy Hanukkah!​

And:
Because we are planning to move soon, Charles has been emptying the basement, and found a cache of wine we bought in the early '00s. I opened a bottle of 1999 Mendocino Mourvèdre from Navarro Vineyards for dinner tonight - decanted it and let it breathe - it was an odd color - sort of a brownish red - but it smelled fine - actually, it smelled VERY sweet. When I tasted it, however, it was NOT sweet at all - it was deep, complex, dry without being puckery - in short, delicious!

I don't know if the whites will have survived as well - we'll find out soon.​

From my FB posts earlier:
The house is redolent of latkes frying in oil and schmaltz; the carrots are simmering in the homemade chicken soup, waiting to receive my father's homemade matzoh balls; and the pork tenderloin is in the oven (a 17 year old Hamlet-Cox-King family tradition of Jewish culture with a dash of blasphemy - both latkes and pork go nicely with applesauce).

Happy Hanukkah!​

And:
Because we are planning to move soon, Charles has been emptying the basement, and found a cache of wine we bought in the early '00s. I opened a bottle of 1999 Mendocino Mourvèdre from Navarro Vineyards for dinner tonight - decanted it and let it breathe - it was an odd color - sort of a brownish red - but it smelled fine - actually, it smelled VERY sweet. When I tasted it, however, it was NOT sweet at all - it was deep, complex, dry without being puckery - in short, delicious!

I don't know if the whites will have survived as well - we'll find out soon.​

We do "fusion" cuisine. Mexican style pot of pinto beans with a little salsa on the side for my people...with cornbread--as opposed to corn tortillas--for the redneck element in this family.

I am having chicken salad (that I made from the chicken thighs that were the base of the chicken soup) for breakfast, so I can justify another bowl of matzoh ball soup. Please ignore the cloud of toxic fumes over San Jose today - fortunately, we are not having a winter inversion/Spare the Air day ...

Latest posts

Back