HELP!!! distal RNY or DS

Sue

hey guys,

I am new here today and a sweet lady invited me over. I come to request help from something I saw that is frightening. I don't know this person, but I could be her, I feel bad for her. Since I had so much help on OH, I want to try to help her. There is a post by Mary B. title "would this be distal rny or ds" in the revision forum, who is trying to get information about distal RNY or DS. Who the hell is that CS bat shit crazy idiot chilipeper who posted some ridiculous BS to this poster. Can someone here help her, the poor thing has had a band, then revised to RNY now looking at revising again to distal RNY or DS and she is getting some bad information. Of course I had to reply because one of the OH members that helped me was Airbender and she was attacked, because she gave what I thought was good information, but I can not give ds information. I mean I am new and naive but shit on a stick I know that Dr Roslin is picky about his rny to ds revisions and Dr Rabkin and Dr Keshishian would take those patients Dr Roslin said he would only do a rny to rny and not rny to ds. That information is everywhere. Did I fall off the asshole truck or something? I don't have to put my hand in burning coals to know it will hurt like a MF!!! maybe that jackass chilipeper does. If Mary B. listens to her she will be screwed. Someone please help this member, those that are on OH post there, ds vets help her, like me, she probably doesn't know any better, we only know what we know. I hope she doesn't make another mistake. Thanks everyone, I can't attach a link I am too new:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Chilipepper had some unpleasant interactions with DSers several years ago (apparently, in particular with me, though for the life of me, I don't recall her from Adam's off aunt), but she seems to have generated a smoldering burning hatred of the DS and DSers - and often manages to work some shitty comment about me into her puerile pukage about the DS. Seriously, I don't remember EVERY speaking with her directly - I only became aware of her because of her insane rants against me that others told me about.

Anyway, use the PM feature and suggest the poor soul who needs an intervention to come over here - but BE CAREFUL - do not give her a link here - you have to camouflage it, because ObesityHelp is so paranoid about us that they have not only banned posting links here, they have some kind of search function in place that SEARCHES YOUR PMs FOR LINKS TO THIS SITE! Yes, really. So tell her to "type the word bariatric, then with no space, the word Facts, DOT org."

Here is the post - Chilipepper only WISHES she had had a DS in the first place, and she damned well knows it - she doesn't want anyone to have what she should have had but got fucked up instead:

"Sometimes it is not possible to restore your pyloric valve and you shouldn't assume you know a persons particular situation. I was told that personally but Dr Roslin. You are passing terrible information. I have been around a long time and have seen an awful lot. I have also had my share of complications so there is No One more informed in this situation."
Really? She thinks having complications makes her an expert? I think it makes her an expert at picking the wrong surgery(ies) and wrong surgeon(s). And just because Roslin refuses to do DS on some RNY revisions, doesn't mean it can't be done - Rabkin and Keshishian do them ALL THE TIME.

Also - is Airbender here? What is her name here?
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/5281724/Would-this-be-considered-Distal-RNY-or-DS/

Would this be considered Distal RNY or DS?

Mary B.
on 12/31/14 5:06 am - Southern, MD
Revision on 01/24/11 with Andrew Averbach
Hi everyone! Long time no see (if anyone remembers me :)

Short and sweet history:

Height 5'9/ Starting weight 298- Recommended goal 165 (42 years old today)

2009: lap band. lost 30lbs. band slipped. Revised to RNY in 2010. Lowest weight I got to was 225 (maybe lasted for a week). My lowest average is 230-240. that seems to be the low that my body is comfortable at. (More history- Ive been overweight since about 4 years old. Was 5'9 180 in 6th grade and grew heavier from there)

severe back problems compiled with steroids over the past year and a half, I have gained 30-40 lbs. I have my back somewhat under control after nerve burn and with acupuncture. Im now 270-276 and trying to stop this train. I was researching stomaphyx and the sclerotherapy. I found that my original band surgeon's office (well, his new office) does the stomaphyx and I went to see him. Yeah, I know the results are crappy... but I was grasping at straws here.

He proposed a study he is currently working. Basically keeping my pouch and shortening the limb and moving it closer to the colon. The picture he drew for me (he drew an actual picture) was the RNY pouch with more intestines bypassed. It looked like the DS. I even said 'that looks like DS' and he said Yes.

After all that, my question, for my research purposes... Should I research Distal RNY or DS? for diet planning purposes? Do distal RNY patients have the same bowel/fat/vitamin issues as DS'ers? I need to do my own research and go in prepared. Im having an endoscopy and after the results from that I can give the Dr my answer.

I'll definately ask him this question, but I get obsessive and cant wait that long. Thank you! :)

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010
cool3.gif

airbender
on 12/31/14 5:47 am

oh my goodness you poor dear, band to RNY and you are contemplating ERNY? you are going from a bad surgery to the worse, stay far away from ERNY and your only decision at this point should be who can do my RNY to DS conversion. DS is a difficult surgery, and ERNY is offered due to the surgeon preference not the patient's as I don't believe any well informed patient would choose that surgery. with a ERNY you would have the worse of both worlds, you will have a crappy life and never be normal with it, DS you have the chance to be. I would suggest seing one of 2 surgeon in the USA, Drs Keshishian and Rabkin, both located in CA, they have the most experience. I warn you to be very careful who you allow to perform surgery on you especially with your repeat surgical history. keep researching to get your answers, don't do anything out of haste, do the best for you, you will have to travel just accept that you are worth it, appeal your insurance if you have to if you are denied etc, don't settle, find a REAL DS surgeon who can advise you. Happy birthday to you and I wish you well in deciding you future.​

Chilipepper
on 12/31/14 1:04 pm, edited 12/31/14 2:25 pm

I think you should speak from experience and not "from what you heard". It's not always because you assume the surgeon can't or refuses to do what you assume is a superior revision. Sometimes it is not possible to restore your pyloric valve and you shouldn't assume you know a persons particular situation. I was told that personally but Dr Roslin. You are passing terrible information. I have been around a long time and have seen an awful lot. I have also had my share of complications so there is No One more informed in this situation.

Now scoot back to the DS board.

Had to edit. Had Rabkin on the brain. It was Roslin who I consutled with.

Zee Starrlite
on 12/31/14 1:32 pm
VSG on 06/06/11 with Mitchell S. Roslin
Wow, Airbender has ALWAYS been awesome and extremely helpful! WTH! I want her to stay here!

I am sorry for your troubles and also thankful you are here sharing your experience & wisdom. It is not necessary for you to be so harsh in every situation. ERNY should be a last solution. All of the endoscopic tightening solutions have proved to be disappointing and simply a waste of time.

Maybe you know this person personally and you know her only option if she decided on a revision is a distal RNY. In that case that option can be worked out if not considered and worked out lightly.

Chilli, you are pretty smart - you make sure to be well informed and compliant. You know how to take care of yourself. Many people here do not and are not the least bit curious. Sometimes it is really irresponsible of surgeons to do any WLS on people especially super malabsorbtive surgeries like the DS or ERNY.

I wish everyone well.

All best,

Laylah

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed 12/20/2010 Lap Band REMOVED
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Chilipepper
on 12/31/14 2:37 pm​

I stand by what I said. Unless you have walked in someone's shoes or lived with a particular surgery. Making statements like hers are uniformed and misleading. I'm informed, I have had 3 revisions due to medical complications/surgical failures...gastrogastric fistula, gastrectomy. I have been tortorured by wls, don't tell me anything unless you have walked in my shoes. I have a true distal and I thank God. I still have the pouch that I love, because it keeps me honest with sugar and I distal bottom.

I don't care for comments concerning things someone only heard 3rd party from others who like to promote one surgery over another.

This is girl is going on her 3rd revision. Don't tell her doctor is only advising one surgery because he is unskilled or is unequipped or has a devious ulterior motive.

Chilipepper
on 12/31/14 3:41 pm

Do me a favor Layla. Tell Suevsg I logged out and read what she wrote. Whoever she is please tell her blah blah blah.
Suevsg
on 12/31/14 3:25 pm

On December 31, 2014 at 1:04 PM Pacific Time, Chilipepper wrote:
I think you should speak from experience and not "from what you heard". It's not always because you assume the surgeon can't or refuses to do what you assume is a superior revision. Sometimes it is not possible to restore your pyloric valve and you shouldn't assume you know a persons particular situation. I was told that personally but Dr Roslin. You are passing terrible information. I have been around a long time and have seen an awful lot. I have also had my share of complications so there is No One more informed in this situation.

Now scoot back to the DS board.

Had to edit. Had Rabkin on the brain. It was Roslin who I consutled with.

WOW, WTF!! I am with Laylah, Zee Starlite, Airbender has always been extremely helpful, knowledgeable, non-judgmental. Your comments are at best rude, and don't help the OP at all. You lost all your credibility when you dissed a well respected member. You are the most terribly misinformed person and a complete moron. You should take your own advice, and know nothing of what you are talking about.

First- you are a dam hypocrite. You say for someone to speak from experience then you quickly post what a dr tells you-time to look in the mirror you complete idiot. And I would be very careful who you quote as a reference.

Secondly- the OP asked "Should I research Distal RNY or DS?" a response was given and you bash the response-why since you don't like the truth? There was nothing in the response saying she knew the persons particular situation, again you are a hypocrite. You are passing your own judgments across as direct knowledge, experience, clearly they are not or you would not use I was personally told by Dr Roslin. Which will it be speak from experience or from what you heard as you pointed out, or is that just for others; again the mirror is handy now.

Thirdly- I don't give a rat's ass about what you have seen or heard, nothing you ever post I will give credence to, you lost credibility, I am with Zee Starlite, and BTW you can ask her all you want she has EXPERIENCE as Dr Roslin was her surgeon.

Fourthly- miss know it all, how do you know Airbender has not had more complications than you and more revisions than you-exactly you don't. You are doing exactly what you are telling her not to, hypocrite much? That mirror you need is getting used quite a bit. block time.

Now scoot back to your asylum.​

Chilipepper
on 12/31/14 2:43 pm, edited 12/31/14 2:44 pm

On December 31, 2014 at 5:47 AM Pacific Time, airbender wrote:
oh my goodness you poor dear, band to RNY and you are contemplating ERNY? you are going from a bad surgery to the worse, stay far away from ERNY and your only decision at this point should be who can do my RNY to DS conversion. DS is a difficult surgery, and ERNY is offered due to the surgeon preference not the patient's as I don't believe any well informed patient would choose that surgery. with a ERNY you would have the worse of both worlds, you will have a crappy life and never be normal with it, DS you have the chance to be. I would suggest seing one of 2 surgeon in the USA, Drs Keshishian and Rabkin, both located in CA, they have the most experience. I warn you to be very careful who you allow to perform surgery on you especially with your repeat surgical history. keep researching to get your answers, don't do anything out of haste, do the best for you, you will have to travel just accept that you are worth it, appeal your insurance if you have to if you are denied etc, don't settle, find a REAL DS surgeon who can advise you. Happy birthday to you and I wish you well in deciding you future.

"DS is a difficult surgery, and ERNY is offered due to the surgeon preference not the patient's as I don't believe any well informed patient would choose that surgery. with a ERNY you would have the worse of both worlds, you will have a crappy life and never be normal with it" . Bullshit​

Chilipepper
on 12/31/14 12:51 pm

It's a distal

Chilipepper
on 12/31/14 1:08 pm

Op, there are many people living a completely "normal" as normal can be post WLS. Don't let someone who has no idea what post life with it make assumptions and scare you.

Hah - here's another reason she's so bitter - in the thread on the Revision board entitled
"Anyone heard of or have "Candy Cane Defect " of a RNY surgery ?????"

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 7:45 pm

It's called a blind limb. I had one. They removed it when they removed my stomach 3 months ago​

It's called sour grapes - she doesn't want anyone to get a DS, because SHE should have had one, and instead, her RNY not only failed her, she now has no stomach to fall back on either. Selfish idiot.

What a cluster fuck, ROFLMAO I blocked her so she was still ranting an raving :ROFLMAO: she makes herself look like a imbecile, well that make a whole lot of sense now with that history I knew nothing about.
I don't know anyone here, just Larra who invited me over.:unsure:
I think Zee is pretty cool too, while she is a VSGer she steared me to the DS info also.
I am going to invite Mary B. over here, I hope she comes and the way you said to send over the web address is the way Larra sent it to me.

Hah - here's another reason she's so bitter - in the thread on the Revision board entitled
"Anyone heard of or have "Candy Cane Defect " of a RNY surgery ?????"

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 7:45 pm

It's called a blind limb. I had one. They removed it when they removed my stomach 3 months ago​

It's called sour grapes - she doesn't want anyone to get a DS, because SHE should have had one, and instead, her RNY not only failed her, she now has no stomach to fall back on either. Selfish idiot.

WOW what fresh hell is this? Candy Cane defect,:wavingsanta: who thought of this ridiculous terminology, and who crapped in her cornflakes. So let me get this straight, I don't know this MF but she is screwed and wants to screw others-hello? Because she sure does come across as having a hair across her hairy ass. Her information is wrong I hope the OP comes over here and the vets can help her. I sent out a Pm now it is up to her, you can bring a horse to water you know the rest

@Sue one thing you WILL notice is that here links to OH are not forbidden. They ARE discouraged but sometimes needed to find the info.

We do discourage the practice as links back to OH help generate traffic for them. And we do NOT want to help them, lol.

When it is a long ago thread such as the information on bad DS surgeons, I will turn the info into a PDF and load it here. New stuff tho is still generating responses which would get lost if turned into a PDF.

@southernlady -oh wow I love this tag thing!!! While I do understand not wanting to help some of those morons, I think the OP may be lost, shit can you imagine having a band, then RNY then thinking about distal RNY, holly STFU!!! But I am done with that post, really it doesn't afffect me, like all of us it is up to her, I hope she finds her way, as patients should have all the information to make an informed consent, shit we all live with our choices good or bad.

@southernlady -oh wow I love this tag thing!!! While I do understand not wanting to help some of those morons, I think the OP may be lost, shit can you imagine having a band, then RNY then thinking about distal RNY, holly STFU!!! But I am done with that post, really it doesn't afffect me, like all of us it is up to her, I hope she finds her way, as patients should have all the information to make an informed consent, shit we all live with our choices good or bad.
LOL Sounds like you might have found a new home here!

It's not necessarily the people we don't want to help altho there are morons all over. (Some of the worst seem to be on Facey Space). But a LINK to another site generates web traffic to that other site and makes their ranking go up. And to be honest, if they don't want people linking to US, why should we link to them (them being OH).

BUT I don't get all weirded out when people do link. I'm not ban happy like some forums out there (exception are trolls and spammers).

I had to comment on that post...that whole scoot on back to the DS board comment pissed me off. Who does she think she is?
Is Airbender a member here?

I try to be judicious about using links, but sometimes it is necessary to make it easier for others to find and then rescue someone ... :) I can read over there, but I can't post.

Latest posts

Back