Hello

Ree

Hi! I'm Ree. I just turned 41 a week ago and I'm looking into VSG in Mexico. My insurance does not cover bariatric surgery, not any doctors out of state, nor doctors in Kansas City (I'm in Kansas). I have MS, T2 diabetes, and sleep apnea, so making a decision is scary but vital. I'm here to research and hopefully anyone wanting to share information with me will! Glad to be here!

Hi! I'm Ree. I just turned 41 a week ago and I'm looking into VSG in Mexico. My insurance does not cover bariatric surgery, not any doctors out of state, nor doctors in Kansas City (I'm in Kansas). I have MS, T2 diabetes, and sleep apnea, so making a decision is scary but vital. I'm here to research and hopefully anyone wanting to share information with me will! Glad to be here!
Welcome, you've found the right place! I, too, thought I wanted a sleeve and came here asking questions. I was educated on the sleeve and the DS and how they differed and I settled on the DS, which is the sleeve plus some rerouting to give malabsorption along with the sleeve's restriction, thus making it easier to maintain weight loss.

I traveled to Dr. Esquerra (only Dr. in Mexico I and many others would recommend) and self paid as my insurance wouldn't! I had a wonderfully easy experience and am very happy with my decision and my results.

Read and ask lots of questions! Oh, I'm originally a Missouri girl close to the Kansas line, now a Tennessee girl. I was in KC just last weekend.

Hi and welcome!
With you having type 2 diabetes, I hope you will look carefully at the DS. The rate of permanent resolution of type 2 diabetes with the DS is 92-95%, depending on which study you read. The rate with VSG is much lower. Resolution of sleep apnea is also much more likely with the DS, and I'm sure you already know that both are very serious diseases.
Dr. Esquerra has an excellent reputation and everyone who chooses him has commented positively both about him and also about the care at the hospital where he works. His office staff will help you with all the arrangements, in other words, don't waste your money on any of the "medical tourism" companies.

Hello and welcome @Ree ! All the best on your journey. Having bariatric surgery, duodenal switch in particular, was one of the best decisions I ever made both for my health and quality of life!

Hi @Ree welcome! My Duodenal Switch was the best decision of my life. I hope you have the same experience with your WLS. May I ask why you're electing for the VSG? If you're self-paying and going to Mexico, you might want to consider the DS. We see a lot of VSG patients who get revisions to DS, so it may be worth looking into for you. Whatever procedure you choose, best of luck!

The DS has a 99% cure rate for type 2 diabetes. Mine was gone 3 weeks after I got my DS. That is why I got it. Please consider it. ;-) Ask questions. We want to help.

Latest posts

Back