Hello!

JPreiss

Hello everyone, my name is Joanne, I'm a 48 year old divorced mother of 3 kids ranging in age from 11 to 15 and I live in Charlotte.

I've struggled with my weight my entire life. No joke, went from chubby preschooler to chubby elementary schooler to fat middle schooler... then from high school to birth of my first child I bounced between fat and thin. Every so often with superhuman effort of eating next to nothing and exercising like a madwoman I could lose weight and maintain it for a little while, but then the weight would come back. Once I finished having my kids I was having trouble getting below 180. Then once my 40s hit not only could I no longer lose weight, but I felt like I had to diet just to slow down gaining weight. I have tried seemingly every diet known to man and many different weight loss prescriptions, supplements, etc. I was never able to lose more than 10 pounds and would then stall and give up and the weight would come back plus some. I am now at my all time high of 240 (at 5'3, so 42.5 BMI). I have finally had enough of the diet rollercoaster of optimism and crushing disappointment. Weight loss surgery was always in the back of my mind as a last resort, but I am there now.

I've been researching various bariatric surgeries and most of the books and information seminars for surgeons in my area focus on lap band, VSG and RNY. I was bouncing between VSG, liking the removal of the part of the stomach producing grehlin, and the RNY, liking the malabsorption aspect and wishing they could combine the two ideas. Then on another online forum I stumbled across the BPD-DS and after lots of reading I have decided it is the surgery I want.

As a side note, I am amazed at the online bariatric community and how so many people are willing to help each other out and offer advice, opinions, and information. I am a little frightened by how little official info there is for life after DS surgery, particularly how to handle the vitamins and labwork. But there is a lot of online information and I am hopeful that I will feel confident about that going forward.

I am a self pay partly because I don't want to spend another year of my life on a medically supervised diet to qualify for WLS through insurance, and I could totally see insurance denying WLS for some other reason after I spend yet another year dieting. So I've decided to go with Dr. Esquerra at Mexicali Bariatric. I have read tons of reviews about the practice and plan to contact them on Monday. I'm hoping to be able to have the surgery in early July when my ex is taking my kids on vacation, but if that doesn't work out I will find some other way to get the surgery maybe in the fall.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded. It feels good to lay it all out there with people who understand (if they bother to read this mini manifesto, ha).

Hey, you found us! Hi and welcome. Glad you're here. I think you've made a great decision to go forward with your surgery now rather than who knows when. You're worth it.

Welcome! I agree with @Larra - if you can afford to, skip the jumping through hoops and get on with living your life without this burden. So many people here have been to Mexicali, and will be able to share their experiences with you.

I went to Mexicali and paid 11K and the major reason was I wanted to get it done. My insurence could cover about 8k out of 33K, so I skiped all the insurence headaches and went to Mexicali. You can read about it here. Just read the page.

bariatricfacts.org/threads/march-2017-target-date.4858/page-3

Btw, best decision I ever made. Down from 264 to 159 in 9 months. If I had done the insurence thing, I would only be 3 months out. I bought 6 months of skinny and happiness.

A lot of your story sounds like mine, minus the kids. Dr. Esquerra is a wonderful choice and I highly recommend him. I'm almost a year post and extremely happy!

Hello and welcome @JPreiss!! You'll find loads of quality information and genuine support here. Looking forward to following your journey!

Welcome! Your story is much like most everyone else here. It sucks to have a metabolic disease.

Congratulations on finding the only WLS that pretty much works all the time and will level that metabolic playing field. You can do this! And Esquerra is a good choice!

Dr. Esquerra is at the Mexicali Baratric Center. He is who did my surgery and many others.

I went to Mexicali and paid 11K and the major reason was I wanted to get it done. My insurence could cover about 8k out of 33K, so I skiped all the insurence headaches and went to Mexicali. You can read about it here. Just read the page.

bariatricfacts.org/threads/march-2017-target-date.4858/page-3

Btw, best decision I ever made. Down from 264 to 159 in 9 months. If I had done the insurence thing, I would only be 3 months out. I bought 6 months of skinny and happiness.
Thanks! Read the thread, glad you had a great experience with Dr. Esquerra. If you don't mind, I may be hitting you up with some questions!

Welcome! Your story is much like most everyone else here. It sucks to have a metabolic disease.

Congratulations on finding the only WLS that pretty much works all the time and will level that metabolic playing field. You can do this! And Esquerra is a good choice!
Thanks!

Thanks! Read the thread, glad you had a great experience with Dr. Esquerra. If you don't mind, I may be hitting you up with some questions!

Please hit me up as other can help too. We have only seen people have great experiences with Mexicali. I was very lost on how to make Mexico work until I found this forum.

My family thought I was craY for going to Mexico. Let's just say they all think it's great now

Latest posts

Back