Hello!

Ang78

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Angela. I'm 38 and a mother of 2 wild boys ages 3 & 8. I have been in poor health for many years. I started this journey actually last February. But my husband lost his job in May 2015 and I had to stop after losing all my pre-surgery weight. However, I ended up having a very rough winter and put back on the weight plus 100 lbs. So at 537 lbs., I started looking at getting surgery again. I have lost all but 12 lbs. (I'm currently at 495 lbs.) and I have one more green light for surgery on October 10th with the dietician. Next month I can see the surgeon. Hopefully I can get my surgery scheduled for the beginning of December. I am looking to get DS done. But I have already noticed small changes just from the 42 lbs. I have been able to use!

Welcome! You've made a great decision to have the DS, as it has the best statistics for percentage excess weight loss and for maintaining that weight loss. I don't know much about you, but it sounds like you may have some comorbidities as well, and the DS also has the best statistics for permanent resolution of almost all comorbidities.
Who is your surgeon? I ask because there are some surgeons out there offering what they call "the DS" but it's actually not the DS. Instead, it's a new and experimental procedure called by various names as SADI or SIPS or loop DS, and if the surgeon is being honest about that that's not so bad, but some surgeons are being, shall we say, less than honest, and people are not getting the operation they thought they were going to get.

Hello and welcome @Ang78 ! Sounds like 2015 was a stressful year - so glad you've been able to get on track for DS in 2016. I look forward to reading about your journey :) All the best!

Welcome! You've made a great decision to have the DS, as it has the best statistics for percentage excess weight loss and for maintaining that weight loss. I don't know much about you, but it sounds like you may have some comorbidities as well, and the DS also has the best statistics for permanent resolution of almost all comorbidities.
Who is your surgeon? I ask because there are some surgeons out there offering what they call "the DS" but it's actually not the DS. Instead, it's a new and experimental procedure called by various names as SADI or SIPS or loop DS, and if the surgeon is being honest about that that's not so bad, but some surgeons are being, shall we say, less than honest, and people are not getting the operation they thought they were going to get.

I do have comorbidities. I actually started this when I found out that I need to have a knee replacement. Since then I have also found out that I have horrible sciatica problems long with my RA. I don't know who my surgeon will be. I will get to meet him/her in November. But right now my weight Doctor following me during this is Dr. Still at Geisinger in Danville, PA. But they have been every open with me about the surgery and that this was the best option for me. So I have been trying to find all the information I can on it. But it's not a very popular surgery here. Geisinger is the only hospital in my area that does DS surgery. But I'm really excited to get it done! PS - Thanks for letting me know about the site! on obesityhelp I was AMCB78!

I do have comorbidities. I actually started this when I found out that I need to have a knee replacement. Since then I have also found out that I have horrible sciatica problems long with my RA. I don't know who my surgeon will be. I will get to meet him/her in November. But right now my weight Doctor following me during this is Dr. Still at Geisinger in Danville, PA. But they have been every open with me about the surgery and that this was the best option for me. So I have been trying to find all the information I can on it. But it's not a very popular surgery here. Geisinger is the only hospital in my area that does DS surgery. But I'm really excited to get it done! PS - Thanks for letting me know about the site! on obesityhelp I was AMCB78!
You may need to travel to Abington to see Dr. Bonanni.

@Ang78 we did have one guy here awhile back who had a DS at Geisinger. At least, he said it was a DS, he was someone who was not easy to communicate with, and I don't know for sure that he verified what he got. So when you finally meet the surgeon, make sure to ask direct and specific questions about this and make sure the plan is for a true DS with 2 anastomoses.
If not, but yourself to Dr. Bonnani or his colleague, whose name is escaping me at the moment. Given the amount of weight you need to lose, a true, full DS is the only way to go. Don't compromise or settle for anything less.

Greenbaum who is in jersey has a great reputation as well. I am not sure where Danville is but there are good options and as a person who has suffered from a botched DS I can tell you that traveling a little is a minor, minor inconvenience compared to having a great DS surgeon.

Welcome and best wishes.

Hi @Ang78. I highly recommend Dr. Bonanni who did my DS nearly a year ago. Can't say enough good things about him or the practice overall (Ignore the NUT but that's pretty much universal! Get your diet and vitamin advice here.). One of the things I most appreciate about him (and it is true for the nurses and PA's as well) is that he/they take as much time as you need to address your issues, questions, concerns when you visit or call. I never felt rushed or dismissed (and I read/research a lot and ask a lot of questions!), but always heard and respected and cared for. Says a lot to me, especially these days when that is far from the norm in health care. Here is a link to their practice website if you want to check them out: http://www.abingtonhealth.org/services-specialties/bariatrics/#.V_NtQDLMyV4. Also, feel free to PM me. Best of luck on your decision and your journey.

Oh thanks everyone! I have been check in with all our surgeons at Geisinger. I pretty much have who I would like to do my surgery. I have actually spoken with Dr. Pertrick when I was in the ER last October. He came in my room by accident and was talking about having WLS. And I had to stop him because he was describing to me that he didn't like the recommendation for a RNY because of my size. Once he found out that he was in the wrong room but if he was up for doing the surgery without the 6 month program or insurance that I would gladly get it done anyways! I thought he was going to turn red on me. But that if I could get insurance that covered it, I would see him again. But if not him, I have heard wonderful things about Dr. Patrick and from some of his patients. So my only concerns now, are how I will do after the surgery and if I can truly get it done before Christmas.

Latest posts

Back