Hello!

I am so sorry to scare you! It was a very rare thing. I had a posterior approach THR and was not supposed to turn my toes in. I never did. I had them slightly turned out (which is supposedly ok with posterior approach) and that's when it dislocated. I am told that my pelvis is tilted and because I am small, the distance from the ball to the connector was so short, it caused it to turn on itself. They had to lengthen that connector and now that leg is a bit longer than the other. I can't really tell, but my foot is numb so who knows??? Just keep doing what you are doing, do your exercises and give your body time to heal. I am sure you will do just fine. Most people do.
My THR was done at Kaiser Fontana.

Last edited:
Oh, my goodness. I'm so sorry to hear about your ongoing struggle, @Bagaof4. I can't imagine how difficult this has been for you. And how frustrating.

So did neither of you feel any relief of your arthritis after significant weight loss? I keep hoping I'll be able to lose enough that maybe I can delay the THR for awhile. I'd even take just achey/stiff compared to what I feel now.

While the arthritis in my hip has been evident for at least 20 years, the real pain and limping only started about 1 year ago (3 years post DS and at a light weight of 120-125). Maybe because my levels of activity had increased due to the weight loss? I had been lifting weights to help strengthen my bones (I have osteoporosis) for the last two years as well. Maybe those things just aggravated it. We are all different. I do believe that the weight loss would definitely help take the stress off your joints.

While the arthritis in my hip has been evident for at least 20 years, the real pain and limping only started about 1 year ago (3 years post DS and at a light weight of 120-125). Maybe because my levels of activity had increased due to the weight loss? I had been lifting weights to help strengthen my bones (I have osteoporosis) for the last two years as well. Maybe those things just aggravated it. We are all different. I do believe that the weight loss would definitely help take the stress off your joints.
I may have missed this, but did you get any information about the nerve pain at your neurology appointment? I am recovering from a femur fracture near the hip and I'm getting shooting knee pain on the inside of the leg. Physical therapy helps a lot and she does massage of the area that helps. Hope you found an answer and the pain is getting better!

Had my consultation with the neurologist last Friday and am going down for the EMG nerve testing at 5:00 PM today! I'll let you know what comes of that. I don't exercise that leg because it seems to really set off the nightly nerve pain. I have not been woken up from it for about 5 days now.
:frown:Sorry about your fractured femur!

Oh, my goodness. I'm so sorry to hear about your ongoing struggle, @Bagaof4. I can't imagine how difficult this has been for you. And how frustrating.

So did neither of you feel any relief of your arthritis after significant weight loss? I keep hoping I'll be able to lose enough that maybe I can delay the THR for awhile. I'd even take just achey/stiff compared to what I feel now.
I really don't think weight loss helps many with advanced arthritis but for sure losing weight prior to joint replacement will make surgery safer and the recovery easier!!

I will be honest in that I have spinal stenisis and had to have a cervical discectomy and fusion in 2011. I have bad knees from football back in the day, shoulder issues and back pain. Losing weight honestly did dona thing to make them feel better. That being said my knees would have gotten worse, my spine and other things would have as well so it isn't as much about relief as stopping degeneration and not to mention the whole heart, diabetes, strike risks.

You need the DS or you are going to be miserable. As Hilary suggested I really believe you should pursue the DS ASAP and then move on with the hip 6-12 months or so after your DS surgery. Just my two cents.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back