Hello!

trace

I have heaps of pre-op questions for all of you. Would it be better to ask here or in a specific surgery forum?

I'm glad I found this group. I've already learned so much by reading through various threads. Thanks!

Thank you, @southernlady. I am really on the fence about what I should do, and it all feels even more urgent because of my severe arthritis in my hip. I'm curious what route everyone here would take, if they were in my shoes. Maybe I'll just lay it all out in the DS forum? (since that's the way I'm currently leaning)

Yes, @trace I had THR of my right hip on 7/20 of this year. I had osteoarthritis caused at least in part by years of morbid obesity. I had my DS four years ago and feel that my small size has really helped me in my recovery. Lifting myself with my arms and maneuvering around on one leg in the early weeks could not have happened when I was heavy. I am also in such good health (for an old lady) with low blood pressure and no other issues which all worked to my advantage.
I would say, get the DS, lose as much weight as you can then have your hip replaced. That is, if you can bear the pain! It will make your recovery that much easier!
Best wishes to you on whatever you decide!

Yes, @trace I had THR of my right hip on 7/20 of this year. I had osteoarthritis caused at least in part by years of morbid obesity. I had my DS four years ago and feel that my small size has really helped me in my recovery. Lifting myself with my arms and maneuvering around on one leg in the early weeks could not have happened when I was heavy. I am also in such good health (for an old lady) with low blood pressure and no other issues which all worked to my advantage.
I would say, get the DS, lose as much weight as you can then have your hip replaced. That is, if you can bear the pain! It will make your recovery that much easier!
Best wishes to you on whatever you decide!

Thank you, @Bagaof4! Goodness, it's so nice to hear from people who understand hip pain. I think this progression is where I'm headed . . . but I also read that walking is critical to recovery after DS. Will that be a problem for me? Walking is not exactly pleasant these days, and immediately after surgery, I won't be light enough to make much of a difference on my joint.

Thank you, @Bagaof4! Goodness, it's so nice to hear from people who understand hip pain. I think this progression is where I'm headed . . . but I also read that walking is critical to recovery after DS. Will that be a problem for me? Walking is not exactly pleasant these days, and immediately after surgery, I won't be light enough to make much of a difference on my joint.
After caring for my friend, I can say she felt her pain walking was nothing compared to what she had been putting up with daily. There was pain but not from the joint. It was from all the ligaments and muscles they had to spread to get to the joint. Movement is important after the DS or any major surgery but immediately postop you will be on lots of drugs!

Maybe get yourself a walker to help. Yes, walking is very important for circulation and to prevent blood clots. It doesn't mean walking miles though. Walking around the dinner table, walking to the kitchen and back. Just short frequent walks. You will need to do that after the hip replacement, too and it is much harder then! The walker is the only way to do it and it might help you get around easier after your DS.

Hi and welcome @trace ! I think it is most sensible to pursue DS / weight loss first and hip surgery down the road.

I had total hip replacement 10 days ago. My DS was in February so I was 80 lbs down prior to surgery. I'm still limping about with my walker and high on norco. @Bagaof4. Tell me how recovery has been for you?

Don't want to hijack @trace 's thread, but I know she is looking toward a THR as well. Not wanting to scare anyone as this was not the usual. Most hip replacements are hugely successful.
The Good:My THR was GREAT for the first 2 weeks. Off all pain meds after 3 days and walking around quite well by the two weeks. I hope both of your replacements go as well as my first started out to be.
The Bad: Two weeks in, my hip dislocated. Very rare dislocation (anterior with a posterior approach). Did not break any of the precautions. Ball turned onto connecting stem and pushed itself out.
The Ugly: Had a revision done 8/7 after a week in the hospital. Now am dealing with nerve damage and a numb foot. Hip feels great, but nerve pain at night in my thigh and foot has been unbearable and it is very hard to walk. Still can't drive because of the foot and haven't been back to work. I do think there has been some improvement in the last week. Will be having a nerve test done this Tuesday (EMG) to find out more. All in all, I am not a very happy camper.

http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/bagas-hip-replacement-new-update.4577/

Last edited:
Don't want to hijack @trace 's thread, but I know she is looking toward a THR as well. Not wanting to scare anyone as this was not the usual. Most hip replacements are hugely successful.
The Good:My THR was GREAT for the first 2 weeks. Off all pain meds after 3 days and walking around quite well by the two weeks. I hope both of your replacements go as well as my first started out to be.
The Bad: Two weeks in, my hip dislocated. Very rare dislocation (anterior with a posterior approach). Did not break any of the precautions. Ball turned onto connecting stem and pushed itself out.
The Ugly: Had a revision done 8/7 after a week in the hospital. Now am dealing with nerve damage and a numb foot. Hip feels great, but nerve pain at night I my thigh and foot has been unbearable and it is very hard to walk. Still can't drive because of the foot and haven't been back to work. I do think there has been some improvement in the last week. Will be having a nerve test done this Tuesday (EMG) to find out more. All in all, I am not a very happy camper.

http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/bagas-hip-replacement-new-update.4577/
Holy crap!! I'm so sorry to hear this @Bagof4. I'm ten days out and now I'm quite scared!! I thought I was sort of out of the woods. I wonder why this happened? Do you fault the surgeon any with his instillation of the prosthetic? I'm in southern Cali too. Where did you have this done? I was at HOAG orthopedic institute in Irvine. I think I might slow it down again. I've been doing the exercises and following the precautions. I really do not want to end up back in the hospital!!

Latest posts

Back