Hello

Hello everyone! I am post op day 1 today and so far things seem to be going well thankfully. I am new to this site and look forward to learning from WLS veterans.

Shannon

Last edited:
Welcome, @Shannon Hokie-N-TN

Notice you are pre-op with Boyce. Make sure you read all you can about his after post-op eating and vitamins. Bottom line, his office gives out RNY advice so learn the smile and nod routine. He is an excellent surgeon. It's his aftercare advice that sucks pond water. Typical of most DS surgeons.

Hello everyone! I am post op day 1 today and so far things seem to be going well thankfully. I am new to this site and look forward to learning from WLS veterans.

Shannon
Welcome to another Tennessee girl! I'M in middle TN and had DS June 10 in Mexicali, MX with Dr. Esquerra. Things have gone really well for me and I'm glad to hear they are for you so far too. Look forward to getting to know you.

Welcome! So glad you're here now. You will find the best advice on post-op vitamins, minerals, diet and labs for the DS here. We have a lot of Dr. Boyce's patients here, and all speak highly of him as a surgeon, but not highly of the nutritional advice his office provides, which is geared towards gastric bypass and not towards the DS. Sadly, we see this with a lot of surgeons, but fortunately you can get great advice here.

For now, rest, walk, sip, take your pain meds, and know that better days are ahead.

Hello and welcome Shannon

I hope you are doing well on your first day Post Op. Sip, walk and rest.

Hydration is your most important task these next 30 days.

Welcome, @Shannon Hokie-N-TN

Notice you are pre-op with Boyce. Make sure you read all you can about his after post-op eating and vitamins. Bottom line, his office gives out RNY advice so learn the smile and nod routine. He is an excellent surgeon. It's his aftercare advice that sucks pond water. Typical of most DS surgeons.

Just curious but what should I be focusing on during recovery? I have my vitamins which I know are important for DS and was advised to drink 1 ounce of fluid every 15 minutes. I'm keeping up with output and intake pretty well. My biggest problem right now to be honest is staying awake and not napping so much during the day. I was released from the hospital today so I haven't been home too long.

Shannon

Just curious but what should I be focusing on during recovery? I have my vitamins which I know are important for DS and was advised to drink 1 ounce of fluid every 15 minutes. I'm keeping up with output and intake pretty well. My biggest problem right now to be honest is staying awake and not napping so much during the day. I was released from the hospital today so I haven't been home too long.

Shannon
Fluid is imperative this month. But sip as often as needed. No need to wait 15 mins. A teaspoon every 1-3 mins until you have a minimum of 64 oz every day. Honestly an oz was way too much at one time for me. And if you NEED to nap, nap! I slept when the mood struck. The asinine idea that you have to stay awake all day is ridiculous. Your body needs fluids, rest, and short walks around the dining room table or up and down a hall. Then repeat.

I would get very weary the first month or so and napped every day. Your body is healing from major surgery and needs the rest.

Focus on fluids. That's your priority. Then focus on protein -- probably protein drinks this early. Don;t worry about anything else right now.

It was a month before I could get down vitamins. Your body has stores so don;t worry about it this soon.

Yes, as they say, rest is the best thing for your body along with the liquids of course! I would get up to do something and feel ok for about 5 or 10 minutes then I would feel like I had been hit by a truck and could barely lift my arm up! Honestly, this lessened gradually but up until about 5 weeks I was still low energy, then it was like a switch flipped and I started feeling normal again energy wise! Don't try vitamins yet, but when you do....I strongly advise making sure you also take some stool softeners or Miralax or Milk of Magnesia along with them (or all of the aforementioned) as I made the mistake of starting vitamins without any of the "go helpers" and I got myself into a horrible, painful situation! I wouldn't wish how I felt onto my worst enemy. Happy recovery to you!

Hi and WELCOME @Shannon Hokie-N-TN.
I, too, am a Boyce patient and fellow DS'r! Glad you found your way here. You'll find a ton of great advice from knowledgeable veterans and genuine,caring support here. I'm also in Middle TN.
All of the above advice.. fluids,rest,fluids,protein,fluids,walk,fluids!
Repeat.
And there is no mistaking, please heed @Susan in Tennessee advice about having plenty of to-go helpers on hand just in case.
Happy you're here :thumbsup::)

Latest posts

Back