Hello

tradav1

Hi all,

New to the site. I had a VSG done in August of 2010. Since then I have gained back all of the weight I lost plus some. Looking back, I didn't understand how to handle my emotional eating, two months after surgery, I started my MBA whike working full time. Timing was not great. I am currently in therapy to get a handle on why I eat and how to manage the emotions surrounding food. I am also wondering if what my future surgical options are, if any at all. So at this time, as I learn to eat without stress or guilt, I am really just investigating and wondering if I really want to do it all again.

Thanks,
T.

Welcome, @tradav1

Sorry you regained but it's good you are in therapy. Your best option long term is to add malabsorption to the sleeve by making it a DS. But even it can be out eaten if you eat too many carbs.

Welcome!!! Our stories sound similar. I had VSG in 2010 and looking to revise to DS.

Hi, and welcome!

I agree about the DS being the best option to get you near your goal, but will warn you to only get consults from surgeons that you know actually can perform the DS. I frequently see sleevers getting revised to RNY, which is just worse for the patient in multiple ways, but that's what happens when a RNY surgeon does the consult and won't refer a paying patient away despite something being better for them.

Hello and welcome. I am a DS'er - three months out. I am in therapy as well to get a handle on my emotional eating on triggers. I wish you the best of luck. You will find lots of good information and support here.

Hi and welcome! I'm sorry the VSG didn't work out as you had hoped. As @southernlady said, you do have revision options and the DS makes the most sense as it includes the sleeve that you already have. Let us know where you are and we can point you to the DS surgeons closest to you. You may need to travel but it really is worth the effort.

Welcome!!! Our stories sound similar. I had VSG in 2010 and looking to revise to DS.
What has been your experience to date with the sleeve? I am starting to think that perhaps the sleeve is the best option for those who have moderate weight loss the achieve. In situations where one needs to lose more than half their weight, perhaps there are more effective options out there.

Why are you looking at DS for a revision and not simply a re-sleeve? A friend of mine also had issues with weight gain and is getting re-sleeved. I personally don't think that is the right option for me.

Hello and welcome. I am a DS'er - three months out. I am in therapy as well to get a handle on my emotional eating on triggers. I wish you the best of luck. You will find lots of good information and support here.
Is yours a revision or is this your first experience? I'm scared that if I wasn't successful the first time, there are clearly no guarantees the next time.

Thanks,
T.

Is yours a revision or is this your first experience? I'm scared that if I wasn't successful the first time, there are clearly no guarantees the next time.

Thanks,
T.

I am virgin DS'er. When I decided to go for WLS, I was only doing it once so I wanted the (to paraphrase @southernlady) biggest, baddest weapon in the arsenal, so I went right for the DS. According to my research, it had the highest success rate of maintaining weight loss (think keeping it off 10 years from now) and was less restrictive on the diet. I couldn't imagine not being about to eat steak or bacon when I wanted. Plus, someone very close to me had the RNY surgery and has been in complete misery for four years (chronic pain, three other surgeries, on total disability) from complications with her pouch, and I didn't want to go that route. On the other hand, three people very close to me had the DS and lost tremendous amounts of weight and have kept the weight off (my role model educated herself, and me, and lost 280 pounds in just under two years - I follow a lot of her advice).

I mean, there is work involved as all of the vets will tell you (high protein, low carbs). You must be on top of your vitamins, supplements, fluid intake, and especially your lab reports. A lot of DS education on nutrition and supplements comes from educating yourself and listening to the vets. I think that in some cases, the nutrionists are getting better about the education, but not fast enough. I am a newbee, and I learn something new from the vets every single day.

As far as success goes, just like with any other surgery, you are going to get out of it what you put into it.

The therapy is helping me be less hard on myself and helping me redirect my immersion in food into other things. I am starting to deal with things differently because of therapy and I see improvements in my attitude towards me.

I believe that the malabsorption piece of the DS helps with the overall success of the weight loss.

Hi, T

I don't feel like I know you well enough to offer any advice but welcome to the forum.
:rainbowwelcome:

keep posting!

What has been your experience to date with the sleeve? I am starting to think that perhaps the sleeve is the best option for those who have moderate weight loss the achieve. In situations where one needs to lose more than half their weight, perhaps there are more effective options out there.

Why are you looking at DS for a revision and not simply a re-sleeve? A friend of mine also had issues with weight gain and is getting re-sleeved. I personally don't think that is the right option for me.

I weighed 286 day of surgery after a two week pre-op liquid diet. My highest was just over 300. I lost down to 238. And then the weight loss just stopped. I attribute some of it to my emotional eating and started right away working on my emotional junk. I regained slowly. And now I've practically gained everything back. I don't emotionally abuse food (for the most part, we all have our days) but I can't lose weight just eating moderately. My metabolism is shot. That is why I know I need malabsorption. I almost got the bypass instead of VSG, but at the time, I thought it could be done with just restriction alone. But now I am glad I didn't have RNY, even having to go through all of this.

Latest posts

Back