hello

I abbreviated incorrectly. I am well aware of VSG and it's abbreviated meaning. Dr. Sharp is a surgeon in NC at Rex hospital whom I trust.

I looked up Dr. Sharp at Rex. His group does discuss the DS, which is more than many groups. You would be amazed at how many bariatric surgeons and practices act as though the DS didn't exist. So that's a positive for him and his group.

However, they say they reserve the DS for people with a higher bmi or for insulin dependent diabetics. I don't know if either of those conditions applies to you or not. So while Dr. Sharp may be a excellent surgeon and worthy of your trust, that doesn't mean he's going to be willing to revise you to a DS. That also still leaves us with the question of the extent of his experience with this particular operation.
Personally, I believe these conditions are too limiting. Even some surgeons who don't favor the DS admit that it's far and away the best choice for anyone with type 2 diabetes, not just for those who are insulin dependent, as it has the best rate of permanent resolution for type 2 diabetes of any bariatric surgery. And it's a standard of care operation for anyone who meets the usual criteria for medical necessity for bariatric surgery, not just for those with higher bmi's. But it's up to you to find out whether or not this practice will do your revision, and how much experience they have.

http://www.rexbariatrics.com/about-...io-pancreatic-diversion-with-duodenal-switch/

I looked up Dr. Sharp at Rex. His group does discuss the DS, which is more than many groups. You would be amazed at how many bariatric surgeons and practices act as though the DS didn't exist. So that's a positive for him and his group.

However, they say they reserve the DS for people with a higher bmi or for insulin dependent diabetics. I don't know if either of those conditions applies to you or not. So while Dr. Sharp may be a excellent surgeon and worthy of your trust, that doesn't mean he's going to be willing to revise you to a DS. That also still leaves us with the question of the extent of his experience with this particular operation.
Personally, I believe these conditions are too limiting. Even some surgeons who don't favor the DS admit that it's far and away the best choice for anyone with type 2 diabetes, not just for those who are insulin dependent, as it has the best rate of permanent resolution for type 2 diabetes of any bariatric surgery. And it's a standard of care operation for anyone who meets the usual criteria for medical necessity for bariatric surgery, not just for those with higher bmi's. But it's up to you to find out whether or not this practice will do your revision, and how much experience they have.

I have already did all research needed for surgery. I have had visits with my surgeon and he feels the best revision for me would be the DS. I'm only one visit away from having info submitted to my insurance. I came to this forum to gain info from patients about recovery and life changes, for as most bariatric forums do not have much info about DS'ers. I have my surgeon and I have talk with his staff and also with some of his former patients who has the DS. From all information gathered I feel he is the best surgeon for me. N

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I am looking to have revision surgery to DS in late July or Aug
Welcome aboard Tabby! I'm curious as to your present BMI as you've already had the sleeve. There are a lot of reasons why a sleeve can fail, including poor dietary choices and patterns of behavior of the person. But in other cases the stomach was just left too large, or cut incorrectly. Can I assume correctly that you've already investigated thoroughly the reasons for your sleeve's failure? Including the possibility or a re-sleeve to correct? Please don't be offended by my queries. I just want YOU to make the best choice possible for your situation, and I feel VERY strongly that the DS should be reserved for those who definitely require it. May I ask your present height/weight? Do you have any comorbidities such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, etc. ? Just so you know, I am a HUGE proponent of the DS procedure. I have lost 225 lbs in 13 months, ALL of my excess weight, and it has changed my life. But I also want to say that it is NOT a procedure to be taken lightly. The requirements for vitamin/mineral supplements, bowel changes, malabsorptive effects on medications, etc. make the DS a lifetime challenge to maintain. Can it be done? Of course!! The vets here are proof of that. But you need to do an objective risk/reward ratio evaluation to see if it's worth it for YOU. If you have only that last 30 lbs you're trying to lose, I'd HIGHLY advise against adding the malabsorptive aspect of DS. In fact I'll go so far as to say you would be a fool to do so. But if you still suffer from comorbidities , have a high BMI, and have counted the costs associated with the DS and are prepared to pay them, then I will agree with your choice. In any event, I will support you in any choice that you decide to make and wish you well for a great outcome. Again, I offer advice here ONLY out of a desire to help you and others in need. I weighed 412 lbs when I started this journey and am a thin 186 now. I've been through the gauntlet and have come out the other side, so to speak. Welcome again to this board! I'm sure you'll find it helpful.
:welcome1:

Welcome aboard Tabby! I'm curious as to your present BMI as you've already had the sleeve. There are a lot of reasons why a sleeve can fail, including poor dietary choices and patterns of behavior of the person. But in other cases the stomach was just left too large, or cut incorrectly. Can I assume correctly that you've already investigated thoroughly the reasons for your sleeve's failure? Including the possibility or a re-sleeve to correct? Please don't be offended by my queries. I just want YOU to make the best choice possible for your situation, and I feel VERY strongly that the DS should be reserved for those who definitely require it. May I ask your present height/weight? Do you have any comorbidities such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, etc. ? Just so you know, I am a HUGE proponent of the DS procedure. I have lost 225 lbs in 13 months, ALL of my excess weight, and it has changed my life. But I also want to say that it is NOT a procedure to be taken lightly. The requirements for vitamin/mineral supplements, bowel changes, malabsorptive effects on medications, etc. make the DS a lifetime challenge to maintain. Can it be done? Of course!! The vets here are proof of that. But you need to do an objective risk/reward ratio evaluation to see if it's worth it for YOU. If you have only that last 30 lbs you're trying to lose, I'd HIGHLY advise against adding the malabsorptive aspect of DS. In fact I'll go so far as to say you would be a fool to do so. But if you still suffer from comorbidities , have a high BMI, and have counted the costs associated with the DS and are prepared to pay them, then I will agree with your choice. In any event, I will support you in any choice that you decide to make and wish you well for a great outcome. Again, I offer advice here ONLY out of a desire to help you and others in need. I weighed 412 lbs when I started this journey and am a thin 186 now. I've been through the gauntlet and have come out the other side, so to speak. Welcome again to this board! I'm sure you'll find it helpful.
:welcome1:
My endoscopy showed my sleeve was very dialated and I also have a hernia. I have GERD really bad, I vomit from my mouth and nose. My surgeon feels my sleeve surgery wasn't performed correctly the first tim . I only list 28 pounds. I currently weigh 295. The DS was recommended to me by my surgeon. I am following the advice of my surgeon and no one else. I feel my surgeon has given me all needed information for this to be a successful surgery. I am boderline for hypertension. I came to this forum to read about the outs and ends of the DS. My choice of surgery has been made and I have a surgeon and a great support group.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... I'm not understanding your reply Tabby. You list 28...but weigh 29? Is that stones by chance as the unit of weight? If so then you'd no doubt be an excellent DS candidate. If it's pounds then that would make you a large cat...befitting your name!!
:hmph cat:

Hmmmm.... I'm not understanding your reply Tabby. You list 28...but weigh 29? Is that stones by chance as the unit of weight? If so then you'd no doubt be an excellent DS candidate. If it's pounds then that would make you a large cat...befitting your name!!
:hmph cat:
lost 29 pds only weigh 295

Given what is going on in the bariatric community, I URGE you to make sure this Dr. Sharp (as Larra said, we've NEVER heard of him as a DS surgeon) is planning on doing a proper DS on you and not a SIPS/SADI/LoopDS, which - despite what many surgeons are saying that is essentially a LIE - is NOT the same as a DS. It is an experimental procedure with no long term results, and which clearly does not have some of the benefits of the DS, in particular, selective fat malabsorption. With the SIPS/SADI/LoopDS, you will ultimately be dieting to maintain weight loss.

I'm sorry that you and Larra have never heard of my surgeon, as I am sure their are many that you have not heard of. I hope soon that you will hear more about him. He and his practice came highly recommended to me. So I feel safe and assured in my decision for him to be my surgeon of choice.

Well, I'm quite sure there are NOT many we haven't heard of, though we are always happy to hear of NEW surgeons who appreciate the benefits of the DS. But based on what we have seen over the last year, the odds are better than even that he is one of those jumping on the SIPS/SADI/LoopDS bandwagon, many of whom are being less that forthcoming about what surgery they are actually doing. Saying the SIPS/SADI/LoopDS is "just like a DS, only safer" is not truthful.

Latest posts

Back