Hello, I'm gathering information

Hi Susan, i'm new here myself and having a revision from sleeve to ds. I failed miserably with the sleeve. I have discovered this time through all the classes etc that my biggest issue was not eating most of the day and when I did it was something like a burger or something quick to fix. I started at 296 and am 5' 3' (I gained an inch after neck surgery couple years ago) I just barely made it to 70pounds down. The DS is what I wanted but in 2008 the hospital here wasn't doing the much yet and I chickened out on the RNY. Over the next few years I slowly gained back to 290-298 again. I was to have RNY on Nov 20th but surgery was backed up so I waited and waited then wondered what am I doing here waiting I don't even want this surgery I want the DS. So called my hubby at 12:30am to come get me. Last time I always was kicking myself for not getting the RNY, this time I was right there waiting for it as my surgeon didn't want to give me the DS. Finally came to my senses and said if I don't try another surgeon I will probably be kicking myself again. It was like the stars aligned and I was meant to get the DS as I am to have surgery on the 18th of this month! I am thrilled but nervous both.

I do know some that have been very successful with the sleeve. I knew better but was a chicken. But this path lead me to the surgery I am happy to get.
Hi Deb - Who is doing your revision from sleeve to DS?

and I only considered a Bariatric procedure when a friend had the DS and I learned of it. There was no way in the world I was going to have an RnY as I saw a friend who had one who is over 500 pounds today......and no way was I going to do that to myself. It was the DS or nothing for me.

No real expertise or advice to add other than to say, Hi and welcome aboard! My best wishes to you in your research and pending successes.

Southern Lady, although I didn't know a ton about the DS back then I still wanted it. So I guess I can look at all this as some wacky route of getting to it with the help of some unseen force pushing me. :) I feel this is what I was meant to have. Part of not changing surgeons was I totally dislike changing docs just like I hate going to a new gas station to pump my own gas or a new store etc etc. I had plenty of time waiting, thank goodness, to come to my senses and pursue what I feel I needed! It will be a learning curve with all the vitamins etc that is needed but I can learn! :)

@DSRIGGS it will be Dr. Carter at Madigan JBLM. The first surgeon that said he thought I should have the DS is assisted by Carter. But I wanted to go to my regular surgeon to ask why he thought not. Now I'm seeing Carter who has done many of them. I think some of it wasn't that I have acid reflux but that he is not a fan of the DS. As the first surgeon stated, we all have a difference of opinion. Carter actually felt it was the best for me also. When he said I don't" I instantly thought he was going to say no!! But the rest of the sentence was 'see why I couldn't do the DS for you" :)

Nervous but ready!! Won't be making the great escape from the hospital this time round!

Hi Susan, i'm new here myself and having a revision from sleeve to ds. I failed miserably with the sleeve. I have discovered this time through all the classes etc that my biggest issue was not eating most of the day and when I did it was something like a burger or something quick to fix. I started at 296 and am 5' 3' (I gained an inch after neck surgery couple years ago) I just barely made it to 70pounds down. The DS is what I wanted but in 2008 the hospital here wasn't doing the much yet and I chickened out on the RNY. Over the next few years I slowly gained back to 290-298 again. I was to have RNY on Nov 20th but surgery was backed up so I waited and waited then wondered what am I doing here waiting I don't even want this surgery I want the DS. So called my hubby at 12:30am to come get me. Last time I always was kicking myself for not getting the RNY, this time I was right there waiting for it as my surgeon didn't want to give me the DS. Finally came to my senses and said if I don't try another surgeon I will probably be kicking myself again. It was like the stars aligned and I was meant to get the DS as I am to have surgery on the 18th of this month! I am thrilled but nervous both.

I do know some that have been very successful with the sleeve. I knew better but was a chicken. But this path lead me to the surgery I am happy to get.
Deb, thanks for being so candid. Who is your surgeon for your upcoming surgery? Are you insurance or self-pay? I hope all goes well for you. Hope to talk to you more. Annette

Latest posts

Back