Hello, I'm gathering information

Susan in Tennessee

Hi,

I'm Susan from middle Tennessee and have been considering the "sleeve" surgery. I have not even talked to a surgeon yet but I've been reading all I find on all the different types of procedures. I'll be so appreciative if I can ask some questions on this site because I feel like I'll get honest answers. I'm 58 years old, married, 5'1 and weigh 227. My highest weight has been 260 a couple of years ago briefly. If I'm not losing, I'm gaining. Holding a steady weight has not been my forte! I have yo-yoed most of my life. I was a chubby kid, always overweight. Right after highschool I lost about 60 pounds and got down to 135 - 140 then slowly put back on, then, off, etc. Last few years I have done Low carb eating but it just goes so VERY slowly. I've always been a slow loser, seems like my body hangs on for dear life and seems like my body is very efficient, as I've always been told by people, "you don't eat THAT much".

I guess my biggest fear is that with having no malabsorbtion with Sleeve it won't be enough to help me. The reasons the sleeve has appealed to me is: 1. pyloric valve left intact so one can take meds you can't with other types, 2.not as hard to get vitamins into your body 3. the ducts in the stomach that produce grehlin (that makes one feel hungry) are said to be in the part of the stomach that is removed, anyway that is what I have read on several of the websites but I'm really curious if that is correct at all or just something their "spin doctors" are putting out there because it seems "too good to be true" and I know what my mom always told me about that... Thank you for allowing me to join here and I'm looking forward to learning a lot from everyone. Hope you can put up with my questions. :) Susan

With both the DS and sleeve, you can take NSAIDs like a normie, but yah, with DS you need to be on top of your labs and supplements. For me it was either sleeve or DS, but not RNY also because I didn't want to bother with the issues that came with having a pouch and not using my own pyloric valve. It's nice to have less grehlin in my stomach and have the big stretchy outer curve removed, and to actually feel sated with tiny meals.

I also thought the sleeve sounded great, but knew I didn't have bad eating habits, and had done stupid things like fasting and fad diets for many years which honed my already efficient metabolism into something that could not be corrected with regular exercise and diet changes. If I thought for one minute that I could lose, AND MAINTAIN with just the sleeve, I'd have gone that route.

Only you know if eating tiny amounts is actually going to do it for you, but it sounds like you have an inkling that eating too much hasn't actually been a factor for you. I'm not trying to sell you on either one, but I will also say that my DS sleeve was made small, like a stand alone sleeve, and I'm not quite 8 years out, and can eat quite a bit. The malabsorption is an absolute life saver for me.

Hi and welcome!

More and more people are realizing that losing the function of the pyloric valve is a big deal. Hopefully there will be more sleeves and DS's in the future and a lot less gastric bypasses.
You are right that most of the cells that produce ghrelin are removed with sleeve (and of course with DS as well) and some people seem to be helped by this, but others, not so much. And it seems like, over time, the appetite comes back, along with the sleeve stretching out somewhat as well, though never back to the original size of the stomach. If you think you can maintain a low calorie, low quantity diet for life, even after the initial tight sleeve/minimal ghrelin months, sleeve as a stand alone might work well for you. However, if you think you will either not lose well with that approach based on your years of diets/slow metabolism, or that you won't be able to sustain that lifestyle, then you will need something with malabsorption, meaning the DS.

Definitely the DS does require much more diligence with vitamins, but personally I haven't found that to be difficult. You get into a pattern or habit, and it's part of your daily life, like brushing your teeth. It's extremely important, but that doesn't mean it has to be difficult.

Another way to look at it is, are you willing to have a second bariatric surgery if the first one doesn't do the job? And if so, will you be able to pay for it if you insurance won't, which is often the case with revisions? For me that would have been a big, big deal regardless of any financial considerations. I wanted something that was the most effective treatment for MO I could get, and with the best documented long term results. Yet I've run into other people (not on this website) who seem to think a revision is not a big deal. Only you can say how important it is to you to get something with the greatest likelihood of long term success, vs. something simplier to live as far as the vitamins and all that goes but tougher to live with as far as diet goes.

You are quite short. Short women have the hardest time of all trying to get down to a normal BMI. I am thinking you should be around 120? The sleeve is restriction only. Low cal, low fat, low carb. Is that OK with you for the rest of your life? If not, get the DS. Then you only have to worry about carbs.

You know you best. If you are a great dieter and it doesn't bother you to live on 800 to 1200 calories a day, the sleeve will do it. If not, get the DS.

Always... Think twice, cut once!

Welcome, @Susan in Tennessee
Not sure how close you are to Dr. Boyce in Knoxville but he will do a DS on a lightweight if that is the route you decide to pursue. Do not use his partner cause Dr. Williams will NOT do a DS on anyone below a 50 BMI regardless.

Whatever you decide, make sure you read all you can here and ask all the questions you need to clarify any confusion.

Liz

Hi Susan,

I am at the beginning stages, like you, looking and learning! Similarly, I strongly believe that I need a more than restrictive procedure to be successful with weight loss. I shared that opinion when my General Physician mentioned WLS to me a couple of years ago. Overeating is not my issue - I'm the most compliant "dieter" you have ever seen! I adhere to a low carb lifestyle now, as its the only thing that helps me maintain, and not GAIN weight and I currently take oodles of supplements. Unfortunately, my insurance company is not supportive of any WLS as I don't have the comorbidities that are required. I'm looking into self pay options, with a competent, vetted, DS surgeon. You'll be glad you found this site, everybody is so nice and helpful!!! Most of them had their surgery years ago (and are doing great!) but are so willing to share information - its GREAT! Good luck and welcome!

Hi! I am also Susan from Tennessee! I had the sleeve 5 years ago and I am now looking into the DS. I lost about 70 pounds with the sleeve and for two years I tried really, really, really hard to not gain and keep losing. I've been in therapy for close to 3 years dealing with my food issues and I will continue when I have my revision. I wasn't compliant in the beginning, after about 5-6 months in I reintroduced foods that were triggers for me and the rest is history. Even though I stopped eating like that (and couldn't eat that much of it anyway) my weight loss stopped. I maintained a 50 pound weight loss for about a year. Then have steadily increased until now. 2015 I have kind of given up, dealing with trying to decide on a revision, my dad's poor health and other family issues I just got tied or trying so hard with no results.

There are some people who have done great with the sleeve. It's really hard to say.

Hello. Welcome.

My two cents: I'm one of those whose hunger definitely came back. That's OK though, as I can eat protein all the time.

I know successful VSGers and I know unsuccessful ones. I guess you have to decide what you can live with regarding the VSG and the DS.

Welcome! I am a VSG. I am too early out to tell how I will do but hope and trying hard to be a success story :) I am hoping restriction is enough for me, I had a band before and did well while restricted. For me the sleeve was the best option right now. I know a revision down the line is nothing to sneeze at (I have already had a revision!) but it's nice to know I have options should this not work out. From what I am experiencing right now at two and a half months out I think I can be successful!

Hi! I'm a sleever almost 5yrs out and successful with it. I have a normal metabolism despite a lifetime of losing and gaining. I managed to lose all my weight and regain most of it on my own many years ago (150lb loss).. on top of many 40-60lb losses before.. Had the sleeve and lost at the same clip.

No real issues maintaining provided I don't go nuts with the carbs or alcohol.. I regained a little bit slowly over a couple years going nutso with both, but knocked that off several months ago as it was really unhealthy, and not just weight-wise. I'm 42, and inactive, and maintain around 1600cals, more if I'm working or doing anything active, so about normal for a woman my age and size. I eat high fat, moderate carb and do good. My restriction at 5 years is still strong, a full meal is 3oz, less than 4oz of meat, and a small amount of something on the side. I still don't get hungry unless I go a long time without food OR I overeat carbs, then the hunger hits every 3-4 hrs (it's my clue I'm not eating right for me.) Pre-op, I rarely got hungry though, as I ate too much too often anyway.. the big difference now is I feel satisfied and full eating what I eat vs. always searching for something to fill me, which I never felt until after surgery.

I self-paid, and only considered the DS and VSG. I opted for the one that fit my needs and my own issues- and so far, so good. That's the deal for anyone, get the one that you know fits you, not the easiest, and not the one the Drs want you to choose. Knowing the benefits AND the drawbacks of the surgeries you are considering, and your own pitfalls and blind spots if possible inside and out is imo imperative.

Hello. Welcome.

My two cents: I'm one of those whose hunger definitely came back. That's OK though, as I can eat protein all the time.

I know successful VSGers and I know unsuccessful ones. I guess you have to decide what you can live with regarding the VSG and the DS.
Like you, my hunger is there...in fact I am hungrier now than I have ever been. I would have failed miserably with just a sleeve, but that is just me.

Welcome, Susan.

Hi Susan, i'm new here myself and having a revision from sleeve to ds. I failed miserably with the sleeve. I have discovered this time through all the classes etc that my biggest issue was not eating most of the day and when I did it was something like a burger or something quick to fix. I started at 296 and am 5' 3' (I gained an inch after neck surgery couple years ago) I just barely made it to 70pounds down. The DS is what I wanted but in 2008 the hospital here wasn't doing the much yet and I chickened out on the RNY. Over the next few years I slowly gained back to 290-298 again. I was to have RNY on Nov 20th but surgery was backed up so I waited and waited then wondered what am I doing here waiting I don't even want this surgery I want the DS. So called my hubby at 12:30am to come get me. Last time I always was kicking myself for not getting the RNY, this time I was right there waiting for it as my surgeon didn't want to give me the DS. Finally came to my senses and said if I don't try another surgeon I will probably be kicking myself again. It was like the stars aligned and I was meant to get the DS as I am to have surgery on the 18th of this month! I am thrilled but nervous both.

I do know some that have been very successful with the sleeve. I knew better but was a chicken. But this path lead me to the surgery I am happy to get.

Latest posts

Back