Hello from the Adirondacks

Welcome Charlene! So glad you made it over here from YouTube! This is a great group that really helped me cement my decision to go with the DS. Couldn't be happier with that choice at this point. :)

Hi Amy! It was awhile before I found this site, but so glad I did! I am so not a social media person, but am getting there, lol. Glad you found me here,; you have been such an inspiration to me with your DS videos.

@FindingCharlie I have started a welcome post to you twice and something happened that I would have to get up and do something - third time the charm they say - Anyway! Welcome - this is the best site ever. I am not a social media person either but this is the best support / information site there is. I was sent here after joining the FB page and man, I have not regretted it. I look at this site and FB several times a week now - afraid I am going to miss something.
Use the bookmark function here when you read something you want to remember - I used it a lot for vitamin stuff. I started on here several months pre-op and read the Vit stuff, but you don't really need to know it till post op so it doesn't click and invariably something comes up. Having the bookmarks helps.
so, WELCOME!

Hello everyone,

My name is Charlene; I am 58 years old and live in the Adirondacks of New York State. I went to a WLS forum Dec. 18 and have my initial consult next Monday on the 18th. I have been doing a lot of research and have decided on the duodenal switch as my WLS of choice because it seems to have the best long term results.

I have had weight issues all my adult life. I actually think I would have had weight problems as a child also, except for the fact I grew up on a farm and got lots of exercise. I have tried so many diets in my life and nothing has ever kept the weight off; as a matter of fact I have always gained back more than I lost every time. After several attempts at quitting smoking (which I gain weight during each time I tried to quit smoking too) I finally quit over 1 1/2 years ago so this is the last money on my back. Last year was also a really rough year as I almost lost my husband due to serious health issues (not weight related, systemic from Chron's) and he was in and out of the hospital over several months last winter. I was his main caretaker during that time; I managed to put on weight then also. Right now I am at my highest weight ever. I feel like WLS is my last hope of having a healthy life. That is pretty much my story and am trying to get myself as well informed as much as possible about DS and WLS.
Hello and welcome! You'll find a wealth of quality information and support here.

@FindingCharlie I have started a welcome post to you twice and something happened that I would have to get up and do something - third time the charm they say - Anyway! Welcome - this is the best site ever. I am not a social media person either but this is the best support / information site there is. I was sent here after joining the FB page and man, I have not regretted it. I look at this site and FB several times a week now - afraid I am going to miss something.
Use the bookmark function here when you read something you want to remember - I used it a lot for vitamin stuff. I started on here several months pre-op and read the Vit stuff, but you don't really need to know it till post op so it doesn't click and invariably something comes up. Having the bookmarks helps.
so, WELCOME!

Thank you for the welcome and the tips. I have just reading a lot of previous posts and soaking up as much info as I can. Bookmarks is definitely a function I will need to learn and use. Still learning how to reply...thought I did to a couple posts but I apparently did something wrong..hit a wrong button? Lol Good grief, lol.

Thanks for the welcome! I am counting on learning lots of info here....I feel like a fish out of water right now. Have my initial consult today.

Good luck to you! If you have any questions or concerns, just ask - the group is wonderfully supportive!
I just re-read your intro and realized we're more or less the same age (I'm 59). I don't know if that's terribly important, but I found it quite reassuring that there were people here my age and even a bit older. It was scary for me thinking about jumping in to a DS at my age but turns out it's the best thing I've done yet :)

Good luck to you! If you have any questions or concerns, just ask - the group is wonderfully supportive!
I just re-read your intro and realized we're more or less the same age (I'm 59). I don't know if that's terribly important, but I found it quite reassuring that there were people here my age and even a bit older. It was scary for me thinking about jumping in to a DS at my age but turns out it's the best thing I've done yet :)
Born in '57 myself, been telling myself it's time to make a decision to or not to...

Latest posts

Back