Hello from the Adirondacks

Hello everyone,

My name is Charlene; I am 58 years old and live in the Adirondacks of New York State. I went to a WLS forum Dec. 18 and have my initial consult next Monday on the 18th. I have been doing a lot of research and have decided on the duodenal switch as my WLS of choice because it seems to have the best long term results.

I have had weight issues all my adult life. I actually think I would have had weight problems as a child also, except for the fact I grew up on a farm and got lots of exercise. I have tried so many diets in my life and nothing has ever kept the weight off; as a matter of fact I have always gained back more than I lost every time. After several attempts at quitting smoking (which I gain weight during each time I tried to quit smoking too) I finally quit over 1 1/2 years ago so this is the last money on my back. Last year was also a really rough year as I almost lost my husband due to serious health issues (not weight related, systemic from Chron's) and he was in and out of the hospital over several months last winter. I was his main caretaker during that time; I managed to put on weight then also. Right now I am at my highest weight ever. I feel like WLS is my last hope of having a healthy life. That is pretty much my story and am trying to get myself as well informed as much as possible about DS and WLS.

Welcome Charlene and congratulations on your wise decision, quitting smoking and for being strong person who takes care of her family through thick and thin. This is a fantastic site with tremendous resources to help guide you through this process from pre-surgery surgeon information (the choice is extremely important), insurance approval, information on the different DS surgical standards of care/type of DS surgery/processes (you will hear me preach about the necessity of having the Hess Method DS vs the no measuring standard or cookie cutter DS), to living with the DS after surgery because many find out that their surgeon may be a great cutter but sucks royally at nutritional and supplementation advice(this is is crucial and this board is full of experts living with the ds and the board knows better than 99% of surgeons about eating and supplementation needs because we live it everyday).

Again, you made a great decision because dine properly the DS is amazing and you will lose the weight you want and gain the health benefits associated with that loss of weight and the surgery itself (I am no longer type 2 diabetic, hypertensive, not is my cholesterol high... I went off meds immediately and I was on a ton, and my numbers are out of this world)

Welcome

Welcome! While everyone's story is unique, we all have elements of your story, so we can relate.
Who is your surgeon?

Congratulations on your surgery decision and welcome to the forum. I quit smoking about 7 months before my surgery. My two year surgiversary is on Sunday. So, 2 years and seven months for me with no smoking. One of the best decisions, ever!

Hi and welcome, Charlene. I'm glad you are researching the options. DS is one of the best decisions I ever made. :)

Welcome Charlene! So glad you made it over here from YouTube! This is a great group that really helped me cement my decision to go with the DS. Couldn't be happier with that choice at this point. :)

Welcome Charlene! I'm glad you found us! The best decision I ever made for myself was getting the DS, and I know that a close second(and near tie) was quitting smoking. I hope to see you around here now that you've found us.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Our IPad has been down for a couple days and our computer is upstairs .....stairs that I hate going up so I haven't had a chance to respond. If you don't actually see me on here to much it will be because I am busy just reading past threads on this sight amount other sites and getting as much info as I can about WLS. I like doing my do-diligence.....especially regarding the vitamin regimen and the cost thereof, best places to purchase the proper vitamins, proper nutrition, etc. I am glad to have great resources to gather information and know I will learn a lot from all the veteran DSers here. Thanks!

Hello everyone,

My name is Charlene; I am 58 years old and live in the Adirondacks of New York State. I went to a WLS forum Dec. 18 and have my initial consult next Monday on the 18th. I have been doing a lot of research and have decided on the duodenal switch as my WLS of choice because it seems to have the best long term results.

I have had weight issues all my adult life. I actually think I would have had weight problems as a child also, except for the fact I grew up on a farm and got lots of exercise. I have tried so many diets in my life and nothing has ever kept the weight off; as a matter of fact I have always gained back more than I lost every time. After several attempts at quitting smoking (which I gain weight during each time I tried to quit smoking too) I finally quit over 1 1/2 years ago so this is the last money on my back. Last year was also a really rough year as I almost lost my husband due to serious health issues (not weight related, systemic from Chron's) and he was in and out of the hospital over several months last winter. I was his main caretaker during that time; I managed to put on weight then also. Right now I am at my highest weight ever. I feel like WLS is my last hope of having a healthy life. That is pretty much my story and am trying to get myself as well informed as much as possible about DS and WLS.
Welcome, Charlie! Everyone here is Extremely knowledgeable and willing to help. I'm currently in the pre pre gathering info stage. Welcome.

Latest posts

Back