Hello From Tennessee

MelissasJourney1982

Hi, My name is Melissa (as you can tell by my user name lol!) anyways I am from Tennessee I just joined this forum in hopes to get even more information on the Duodenal Switch Weight loss surgery.. I was leaning toward the Vertical Sleeve, but have been doing some research on DS and I think I am leaning more towards that one. I go in and talk to my PCP on the 22 of June. and I am going to tell him I want the DS I live in TN so hoping I can go to Knoxville, TN for Dr. Boyce to do my surgery.. a lot of people have recommended him and says he is an excellent doctor. anyways a little about myself...

I started gaining weight when I was just about 11 yrs old I am now 33 fixing to be 34 July 4th. my highest weight was 350 lbs. I am now down to 293 I am type 2 diabetic. it runs highly in my family, (my mom is a type 1). I have 2 beautiful daughters that my husband and I adopted (been their parents since straight out of the womb). I don't think I can have my own children and a lot of it has to do with my weight. I have not had a period since about 12 to 13 yrs ago I know TMI sorry. but it's true.... I love my girls I have now with all of my heart and soul!!! they are my world! Kaitlin is 11 and Alice is 2 going to be 3 August 8th. but I would love more then anything and it has always been my dream to carry a child... what woman doesn't dream about that? but anyway that is not why I want to get this weight loss surgery it's because I want a new Healthy me! I want to do with not only for me but my kids. I want to be able to chase them at the park and swing with them... and do all sorts of other things.

well I think I blabbed about my whole life story just about lol.... I hope to get to know all of you! :) TTFN

Hi Melissa and welcome! You'll find a wealth of information and support here. Looking forward to following your journey!

Welcome @MelissasJourney1982
If your BMI is under 50, see Boyce only not his partner, Williams, who ONLY does the DS for 50 and above.

Also read here. While Boyce is an excellent surgeon, the vitamin and eating advice is horrid.

I'm a Boyce DSer, 5.5 years out.

Hi and welcome!
Great decision to go for DS, esp with you being diabetic. The DS has the best rate of permanent resolution of type 2 diabetes of any bariatric surgery. Sleeve does not come close. Gastric bypass appears to have good statistics, though not as good as DS, BUT many people with gastric bypass find that their diabetes comes back after a few years. Not so with the DS.
Be prepared for your pcp to know absolutely nothing about the DS and to not be supportive. Just get your referral to Dr. Boyce however you can and go from there.

Welcome. A lot of overweight women cannot have children in that state but beware once you have surgery a lot of women become fertile Myrtles!lol that's why we agree to use 2 forms of birth control after surgery. So if you still want more children 2 years after surgery you can try all you want. We have a couple if ladies on here who have had miracle babies after the DS.

Hello @MelissasJourney1982 ! You came to the right place. I've been so happy to have this amazing community of knowledgeable and genuinely caring folks. I'm sure you will appreciate them as well.

I,too, come from a long line of Type 1&2 diabetics. I watched it steal my Mother's eye's, legs,kidneys and heart before it took her life. I made a different choice and i will never regret that. I'm a DS'r and patient of Dr. Boyce as well. I had my surgery on April 26,2016 and my only regret is not doing it sooner. He's a phenomenal surgeon and great guy....but as @southernlady stated, you will learn quickly to get your nutrition and diet info here and practice your nod&smile move at the office.
Read, read, ask questions...oh...and read! Knowledge is power and it's available! So happy you are here and ready for this journey!! WELCOME!

Latest posts

Back