Hello from Oklahoma!

Deelyn

I heard about the DS when I went to a support group last week. Since 2000 I have wanted to have the RNY but when I learned about the DS...I wanted to find out more and it sounds like the DS is best for me! I am scheduled for 3 appointments on FEB 4th...the dietitian, exercise and psychologist. The ball is rolling!!

Hello and welcome.

Who is the surgeon with whom you are pursuing the DS?

Hey, you made it here! Good to see you.

Now that I know where you are, I can tell you that there are no DS surgeons in Oklahoma. The closest to you that I know of is Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX. There are others scattered about the Midwest, so other people might have other suggestions. Meanwhile, there is a lot of great info saved on this website for you to read as you continue your research. Pick your operation, THEN pick your surgeon.

Dr Varnell who you said was your surgeon does not list the DS on his website. Be very careful because you don't want somebody doing this procedure who isn't properly trained, and you don't want to get a procedure that you didn't think you were signing up to get. There are many surgeons now selling a procedure call the SADI (single anastamosis) and is not a DS that by definition has two anastamosis.

There are red flags here so please don't just believe what his office is telling you. Thr people on this s site know about just every ds surgeon in North America and some overseas as well. If somebody like @Larra hasn't heard of this guy as a DS surgeon then chances are very good that he isn't trained on that procedure. That coupled with no DS mention on his website should be a warning sign to do much more in depth homework on this guy.

Dr Varnell who you said was your surgeon does not list the DS on his website. Be very careful because you don't want somebody doing this procedure who isn't properly trained, and you don't want to get a procedure that you didn't think you were signing up to get. There are many surgeons now selling a procedure call the SADI (single anastamosis) and is not a DS that by definition has two anastamosis.

There are red flags here so please don't just believe what his office is telling you. Thr people on this s site know about just every ds surgeon in North America and some overseas as well. If somebody like @Larra hasn't heard of this guy as a DS surgeon then chances are very good that he isn't trained on that procedure. That coupled with no DS mention on his website should be a warning sign to do much more in depth homework on this guy.
I will be having a Loop DS.

@Deelyn, the loop DS is not a true DS. It's the same as the SADI, or some surgeons are calling it SIPS, but it's all just different names for the same thing. It has the sleeve like the DS, but does not divide the small intestine the way a real DS does. It's being sold as less risky than a DS, but the only risk removed is the small bowel anastomosis, which is probably the least risky part of the DS. It does not provide the selective fat malabsorption of the DS and long term results are not known. Unfortunately, some surgeons are presenting it as having the results of a DS, which are documented only for the classic DS with 2 anastomoses, not the loop DS. Actually, some of the surgeons doing it aren't even telling patients that it's really a variation on the DS, they just call it the DS, which is IMHO somewhat deceptive. I'm not saying your surgeon did this, I can't know that.
The main advantage of this operation, as I see it, is for the surgeon, not the patient. It's quicker and easier to do, so he can get more surgeries done. It's also interesting that some surgeons are coding this for the insurance company as though it's the DS, even thought the code clearly states 2 anastomoses, and there is only one.
I hope you will continue your research and find out what you are getting yourself into. If for whatever reason this is truly what you want, fine. But you need to understand that the excellent documented long term results of the DS are not based on the operation your surgeon is selling.

Latest posts

Back