Hello from Kansas

nedsmehlp

Hi, I'm new to this board. I'm really glad it was recommended to me. I am going to a informational meeting on Saturday. So I am at the very beginning of looking into a revision. I had a VSG in 2008 and lost 182 lbs, I have regained 110 lbs. I was considering an RNY, but after reading many posts on another site, I think the DS would be best for me. I have so many questions about this surgery. And it also scares me when I read about people having bad body odor and bad breathe after this surgery. Also people losing their teeth. Is all of this common? Anyone over 60 have this surgery? I know I'll have a lot more questions as I go along. I appreciate all the info you can give me. Anyone have Dr. Bernstein from Topeka do their DS?

Well hi there!
since you've already heard from me, I'll let others comment at this point. But are you sure you have the surgeon's name right? I recall someone in the Midwest with a similar name but not Bernstein. Someone else will remember, I'm sure.
Oh, and personally, I'm 11 years post-op, I don't have BO or bad breath (at least no one has complained) and I still have all my teeth despite being (ahem) one of the seniors around here, and that's more than a lot of people my age who never had the DS can say.

Welcome @nedsmehlp
I recognize the name Bernstein from Topeka from FB groups. Technically you are a revision but it's the type of revision any vetted DS surgeon can do.
Bad breathe/body odor: early on it is usually from ketosis (lack of carbs in the diet) but that is more a metallic taste not really "bad". It's the good kind of bad we want at first. Just annoying. It can also be due to a heightened sensitivity to odors yourself...you smell things better/differently and are more aware.

Losing teeth...lack of calcium can cause bone loss which can affect the jaw bones if left deficient long enough.

Get a DEXA scan to see where you are right now. Make sure you get the correct blood tests to see where your labs stand. You are post-op from the VSG so you should be getting labs at a minimum of every year...full list found here. As far as bone health, you are looking for your serum calcium (needs to be mid range), Vit D (needs to be high normal of 80-100) and PTH which needs to be low normal. IF PTH is above middle toward high, you are already leaching calcium from your bones to keep your serum calcium normal. That is the function of the PTH (parathyroid gland). It has to keep your serum calcium normal to protect your heart and it will do it at the cost of your bones.

I had my DS at 56, am 62 now. I have issues not related to the DS (arthritis, horrid spine issues) but everything related to my DS is healthier than I have ever been since I was 12 years old. No one has ever complained of BO (to my knowledge) and I have been around small kids (my grandsons) who are notoriously honest.

Hi, welcome! I had my surgery June 10 of this year and I am almost 59, and doing well. As for the stinking stuff, I have't experienced that. Breath would be ketosis, but it's not bad to the point of others saying, ewww, your breath stinks! Body odor, I haven't found that to be the case at all, well, except that when I pass gas the odor does seem to be stronger and of the type that clings to your clothes and I found this true more so the first few weeks and seems to be lessening now. I don't know about the losing teeth. If that was happening, it would be due to the person not doing things right as far as supplementing, which can't be taken lightly and skipped. What else are you wondering about, ask away.

Hi @nedsmehlp glad you are here! this is a wonderful site for information and support. I recommend using the bookmark feature as you read something you think you might need down the road. I was perusing mine just this morning.
I look forward to watching your journey

Hi @nedsmehlp

I had virgin DS at 62 and am 9 months post-op today.

Bowel effects are very individual. Some people do complain of bad gas, poop, diarrhea and even accidents, but often it seems that these people are free wheeling with what they eat. I have had no foul gas or poop save for a handful of instances where I am confident it was related to something I ate -- like yesterday when I ate apple cider cole slaw and thought I was going to die from gas. (Live and learn.) Around month 2-3 post-op I did notice armpit odor that deodorant wasn't controlling, but that only lasted for a month. (Don't know what caused it.)

Make sure the surgeon you select will give you a REAL DS with two anastomoses with limb lengths based on the Hess method. At our age, we only have one chance to get this right.

Good luck to you

Hi, I'm new to this board. I'm really glad it was recommended to me. I am going to a informational meeting on Saturday. So I am at the very beginning of looking into a revision. I had a VSG in 2008 and lost 182 lbs, I have regained 110 lbs. I was considering an RNY, but after reading many posts on another site, I think the DS would be best for me. I have so many questions about this surgery. And it also scares me when I read about people having bad body odor and bad breathe after this surgery. Also people losing their teeth. Is all of this common? Anyone over 60 have this surgery? I know I'll have a lot more questions as I go along. I appreciate all the info you can give me. Anyone have Dr. Bernstein from Topeka do their DS?
Hello!

When I hear body odor, I assume you mean during the ketosis phase. When you lose rapidly and all the crap that's been stored in the fat cells is getting dumped, you can have funky breath, and things will smell/taste weird too. I used a lot of breath spray during that, but was only sort of funky for a short time. Ketosis doesn't last through the entire weight loss phase, just the early, really rapid part. Ketosis will happen regardless of surgery type, and even if you haven't had surgery - it's when the loss is rapid enough.

I don't see why losing teeth should be a problem if you stay on top of supplements, like calcium. I see that question on these pages some, but many of us are over 40-50-60... and I think it's pretty normal. My non-op friends and family seem to have very similar issues and I just think some is the aging process, but we are always thinking "Is this because of my surgery..?".

The last thing I'll mention, is to be sure you have an actual DS surgeon. I read of so many that had a sleeve, that is still in good shape with no issues with it, being revised to RNY ONLY because they have a surgeon that only knows how to do RNY. It makes sense for SO MANY REASONS to get the DS instead of RNY when you already have the sleeve. I'm glad you're here, and will say this is one of the better places for learning and asking questions, if you want the real scoop.

I am really happy to get all the responses! What a wonderful site! And Larra I am so glad you recommended this site and that you are here too! I know I'll have a million questions as I go along. I now know that this is the site to come to for the answers. Thank you, thank you to all of you!

Hi and welcome @nedsmehlp ! I had DS in 2012 and have no teeth, breath or bowel issues - it was the best decision for my health I could have made. I agree with the others that it is important to ensure the surgeon (and hospital) you pick has a good track record. This is your life. Only put it in trusted hands. Best wishes!

Hello and welcome.

I am 2 1/2 years post-op at almost 50 years old, no body odors or bad breath here. I will have gas/bowel issues depending on what I have eaten. Usually, I eat right and have no issues.

Latest posts

Back