Hello from Florida!!

JessMarie2124

Hey guys my name is Jessica. I'm 26 years old and live in Florida.

I've been overweight since I hit puberty and am now at the biggest I've ever been. I've tried so many options that have failed over and over again.

My brother in law directed me to this site because he has the DS done last December and my sister had the gastric sleeve in March.

I'm really wanting to do more research. My biggest problem is how I appeal to my insurance and get the ball rolling. I am looking into getting the DS surgery and my brother in law had a great surgeon for that here in Florida!

I'm nervous but excited to start this journey :)

Hi, welcome, Happy New Year, and good for you for doing your research!

Appeals are for people who have already applied for pre-approval and been denied. Hopefully that won't happen to you. For now, you probably start by asking your pcp to refer you to the DS surgeon, or by contacting the surgeon's office and seeing how people start. It's also very important to get a copy of your EOC (Evidence of Coverage, a lengthy document with all the details about what your requirements are for bariatric surgery, what's covered, appeals rights if needed) so you know for yourself exactly what you need to do to get approved.

I hope your brother-in-law's surgeon was Dr. Smith, who is an experienced and highly regarded DS surgeon in your state. There are other surgeons who claim they do the DS but really do SADI/aka SIPS/aka loop DS, which is NOT the same thing - you can read about it here as you do your research so you know the difference.

Hi and welcome @JessMarie2124 ! It's great that you have family members who can share their bariatric surgery experiences and advice with you. Best wishes!

Thanks Happy New Year to you too!

Yes my brother in law went through Dr Smith and that's who I would go to.

Im going to go to one of his sessions soon and then have them take my insurance information to get the process going for that.

Thanks for all of the advice and support so far! It's a scary thing to consider but I know it's what I need to do and it'll change my life for only the better!!

Latest posts

Back