Helllllllo from Texas!!

CarbJunkie73

Hi y'all from good 'old Texas!

I'm excited to be here and am looking forward to making new friends for LIFE!

I'm scheduled for a DS revision (with sleeve redo) in MX with Dr. Esquerra at the end of May. If anyone else is headed there around the same time, please feel free to contact me! I'll be going it alone as my hubby doesn't support my DS revision decision and feels that I'm just accumulating more debt for something that isn't going to work, again....

Just a little background info on me and to help explain what he's talking about and why....

This will be my THIRD WLS. Yep, you read it correct, THIRD. I had a non-adjustable gastric band (Dr. Molina, (deceased) Gastric Segmentation) placed in 1995 at my heaviest of 300#. I lost approx 135# in about a year and stayed there for maybe 6-8 months. That band was the ABSOLUTE WORST and I kept it for 17 years! I gained some of the weight back and bounced between 180-230# during those 17 years. I threw up/got choked at every meal and had to sit close to the bathroom at any restaurant we went to. I got wise and had the band removed in January 2013. I was so paranoid about not having some form of restriction for me food that I traveled to Mexico in February 2013 to have Dr. Rodriguez perform the sleeve on me. I weighed 220ish# the day I was sleeved. I weighed 198# today at 5'3" with a BMI of 38ish. I honestly think Dr. Rod made my sleeve bigger/irregularly shaped due to my impatience/paranoia when I should have waited at least 6 months after the band was removed to allow my tummy to heal. That's my bad. I've never had really good restriction like I've heard others talk about on the forums and in the sleeve groups I was part of.

So, now I'm ready and praying that my THIRD WLS, converting sleeve to DS and tightening up/reshaping my sleeve, will allow me to have that restriction I've longed for and the malabsorbption to help me lose and KEEP OFF the remaining 60-70#.

Soooo any advice, recommendations, and/or constructive criticism is very welcome and appreciated!

Welcome!
I hope neither you nor your husband are blaming you for the failure of these 2 operations. It was the operations that failed, not you. the Molina band isn't even being done anymore to my knowledge, at least not in the USA, and no one should have to live with the symptoms it caused you. And if your sleeve wasn't done correctly (too large, misshaped, whatever) it would not provide restriction, and since restriction is the mechanism by which the sleeve works...well, again, not your fault.

The DS is completely different from a purely restrictive operation and there is no reason to believe that it won't work for you. You've chosen the most effective bariatric surgery with a surgeon with a good track record. You will do just fine.

Welcome!
I hope neither you nor your husband are blaming you for the failure of these 2 operations. It was the operations that failed, not you. the Molina band isn't even being done anymore to my knowledge, at least not in the USA, and no one should have to live with the symptoms it caused you. And if your sleeve wasn't done correctly (too large, misshaped, whatever) it would not provide restriction, and since restriction is the mechanism by which the sleeve works...well, again, not your fault.

The DS is completely different from a purely restrictive operation and there is no reason to believe that it won't work for you. You've chosen the most effective bariatric surgery with a surgeon with a good track record. You will do just fine.

Thanks @Larra! I was never so happy to get rid of that horrid band!

My Hubby's comments are because I'm no longer exercising like I used to due to my position changing at work...and yes, he does blame me and my now 'laziness' to my sleeve failure. Buuuut, even paying a trainer $600 a month to workout 3x a week plus water aerobics/weight training 2x a week for a year after my sleeve, I didn't lose any weight and /or have any body changes that were noteworthy..... not for all the effort I put in with diet and exercise!

Welcome!

Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. You need to read the preceding statement several times.

I have lived in the fatlands for decades and in all that time, I have known 1 person who was successful long term with a crapband. Just 1. This tells me the band doesn't work. Total fail!

Hello.

Mention to your husband that there's a current DSer who is also on her third WLS. She had a band, RNY and several years ago, a DS. She's done very well with it.

So the DS will be my 4th WLS. I had the 5cc lapband, it slipped and stupid me replaced it with the only lapband option at the time a 10CC band. I gained 135 lbs with the increase in band size. So then I had the sleeve. I have lost 100#s but have started to regain about 20#. Well that was enough of a sign for me, time to get the DS. I'm kinda pissed at the surgeon who replaced the band, it was a stupid decision.

Y'all, thanks soooooo much for the kind welcomes and understanding words! It means soooo much at this stage of my life to know I'm not alone, on all fronts, because quite honestly, I feel completely alone and isolated with my husband not being in my corner.

♡♡I'm. So. Happy. I. Found. This. Site! ♡♡

I was a Lap-Band-to-DS revision. One day, a few months after the DS, while we were at a fairly-new-to-us resturant that I had not been to when I had the band, I decided I needed to use tbe restroom, for...you know..bladder emptying.

Then I suddenly became ecstatic! That's because I realized that we had been to that restaurant several times AND I DID NOT KNOW WHERE THE RESTROOMS WERE!!!

With the band, I always needed a table near the restrooms...and I knew where bushes were in the parking lots, so that I could barf into them...and I think the people who lived on the side streets closed tbeir windows when they saw our car coming.

I believe you can relate.

Welcome!

Sue

Last edited:
I was a Lap-Band-to-DS revision. One day, a few months after the DS, while we were at a fairly-new-to-us resturant that I had not been to when I had the band, I decided I needed to use tbe restroom, for...you know..bladder emptying.

Then I suddenly became ecstatic! That's because I realized that we had been to that restaurant several times AND I DID NOT KNOW WHERE THE RESTROOMS WERE!!!

With the band, I always needed a table near the restrooms...and I knew where bushes were in the parking lots, so that I could barf into them...and I think the people who lived on the side streets closed tbeir windows when they saw our car coming.

I believe you can relate.

Welcome!

Sue
Oh spiky I have all the same crapband memories. I bet like me you kept a big stack of plastic cups and a stack of napkins in the front of the car. I frequently would puke while on the road.

Honey you are at the right place and you have made a fantastic decision. You were given the wrong procedures in the past due to the ignorance of the batiatric surgical community. Explain to your husband that this is the procedure you should have initially had. You also need to yell your husband to buck it the hell up and support your decisiion to become healthy by having a procedure that will very positively change your life. Tell him that after you recover from the procedure that the sex will be better and more frequent..... As a dude I know this will get his attention. :D

Good luck with your journey and you will be on the losers bench soon.

Latest posts

Back