Health Status

Whit

Follow-up.
I have not been feeling well (nauseous and lightheaded) so I called Dr. K's office and asked for a lab slip. Then I called my PCP she wanted to see me prior to getting blood drawn incase more tests were warranted. Well apparently blood pressure was low very low and heart beat was irregular. She sent me to a Cardiologist immediately. I was pretty freaked the EKG was not irregular but it was slow. He did not know my history so he asked me if I was an athlete. Um no but I was obese 18 months ago. Oh ok let me check your pressure. Laying down, sitting, standing, then 1 minute after standing.. apparently I have the heart of a 70 year old woman. What? It was fine 6 months ago. I asked the Dr could it be from malnutrition or a deficiency? Maybe... ok Dr what's next? could be potassium go back pee in a cup, call me on Monday, and schedule a stress test come in Tuesday. This is serous have a good weekend...What? Gee Thanks...

Sounds like you could dehydrated - not saying there isn't something else too, but dehydration will be worsening whatever else you have going on.

Try something like Powerade Zero. I hope you get this all figured out soon.

Follow-up.
I have not been feeling well (nauseous and lightheaded) so I called Dr. K's office and asked for a lab slip. Then I called my PCP she wanted to see me prior to getting blood drawn incase more tests were warranted. Well apparently blood pressure was low very low and heart beat was irregular. She sent me to a Cardiologist immediately. I was pretty freaked the EKG was not irregular but it was slow. He did not know my history so he asked me if I was an athlete. Um no but I was obese 18 months ago. Oh ok let me check your pressure. Laying down, sitting, standing, then 1 minute after standing.. apparently I have the heart of a 70 year old woman. What? It was fine 6 months ago. I asked the Dr could it be from malnutrition or a deficiency? Maybe... ok Dr what's next? could be potassium go back pee in a cup, call me on Monday, and schedule a stress test come in Tuesday. This is serous have a good weekend...What? Gee Thanks...

With only those tests he said you have the heart of a 70 year old? I call BS. First he asks if you an athlete and then says your heart is 70? WTF? I think that is a reckless statement to make to a new patient. JMO

I had a cardiac event a week after my surgery due to having undiagnosed Afib. The stress of the surgery was too much and I ended up in the cardiac unit for a week. The cardiologist I saw was battling between the AFib and the natural occurance of bariatric patients to have increasingly lower heart rates. He said he'd rather have 1 bariatric patients over 100 biggest losers. He told me it is natural for a bariatric patient to have lower heart rates. All this may be nothing, dehydration or even para Afib like mine. Have faith and just follow up ;) It's gonna be OK.

omg, Whit - saying prayers for you - keep us updated!

(here's hoping the doc has no idea what he is talking about)

I am closing in on 11 years out. Last summer when I was working out a lot, I got light-headed and started checking my bp and heart rate - my bp was consistently under 90/60 and heart rate was around 52. My PCP sent me to the cardiologist, whom I hadn't seen in 9 years (he fired me a year after my DS because my CRP was no longer 10X above normal OFF of statins). He did a few tests to rule out real issues and pronounced me normal for a bariatric patient - and told me to eat more salt. I happily obliged, although I am already a major salt abuser. (He also told me to wear support stockings and I gave him the serious side-eye and said SALT, not stockings.)

I still get light headed every time I get up. I had to go back onBP meds a couple of months ago because it was getting really high. Like 180/110 but now it is running low. I am sure i am not getting enough protein and I am sure I need iron infusions. My GI doc says he'll order them in July. I am really hoping for you that it is all due to something as simple as a vitamin defincient or low salt as Diana said. I kinda agree with SHales and call BS! I sure hope so! Take care Whit and keep us posted.

Well I had a stress test today. I have a perfectly normal heart. It does skip a beat occasionally when I exercise. In fact it took me longer to get it up and then it came right back down to normal. The Dr. said I had the heart of an Athlete. Crazy I think how I am feeling is directly related to deficiencies. Waiting for lab results. But I am relieved.

@Whit glad the ole ticker is good! It is scary when they start talking heart problems. Hopefully those labs get back soon and you can see what you need to adjust.

Latest posts

Back