Happy to be here! Investigating band to VSG

PearlsB4Wine

Hello, folks! I'm happy to have found this site and community, especially since so many people here seem to have a good grip on health and nutrition. I was banded in '08, and had a pretty miserable time of it. Lots of vomiting, aspirating at night, chronic heartburn, and inability to eat, coupled with poor weight loss. Initially, I was able to fight my way to a 50 lb loss, before I couldn't handle the awful side effects anymore, and got totally unfilled. I gained back everything I lost over the next couple of years, and after surpassing my previous high weight. I decided to give it another try three years ago, and busted my ass doing everything by the book:diet, exercise, protein, the whole shebang, before the same awful side effects caught up to me again, even though I didn't have a tight fill. Once again, I gained everything back. I'm now researching a revision to VSG, after seeing how well several friends have done with it. I've already had a consult with Dr. Umbach, here in Vegas, and I'm scheduled for an endoscopy tomorrow morning to check for a band slip and hiatal hernia, both of which he thinks are likely, given my symptoms. If I'm positive for both, I'll probably be on the fast track for a revision, and I've been doing all the reading I can on the effectiveness of the sleeve, and the commitment it will take to make it work.
Soooo... Here we are. Looking forward to exploring the forums. I'd especially like to hear from folks who've had this revision, and how they've done. I'm also looking for the lowdown on any unpleasant aspects of the sleeve I should know about. Folks for whom the sleeve didn't work out, why do you think that may be? Thanks in advance!

Why do you think a VSG as a revision surgery is going to be enough? You've already failed a restriction-only surgery, and now your metabolism is even more damaged. And Umbach doesn't do the DS so he's not going to suggest it to you.

Keep researching and learn everything you can before making this big decision. Remember that it's the long term results that count - I'm glad your friends are happy and doing well, but it's important to look at people who are at least 5 and better 10 years out to see how a given operation holds up over the long haul. We've seen so many people with gastric bypass and sleeve who did well initially, only to struggle later. I do think some people will be successful with a sleeve, but what percentage and how hard they will have to work at it is unclear.
After years of dieting, I was tired of working so very hard. You may feel differently, or perhaps your experience has been different from mine, but keep in mind that the sleeve gives you just restriction and minimal metabolic improvement and no malabsorption. If you do decide on the DS you will need to travel because there are no DS surgeons in Nevada, but Dr. Keshishian in Glendale (suburb of Los Angeles) wouldn't be too far, and many people travel farther than that.

I'm almost six years out from my VSG...I'm having the second part of the DS done February 29th. I lost about 70 pounds but have gained it all back over the years. I did a lot of research, like 18 months worth. Just read and research and study the facts!

Welcome, I am a band to sleeve revision and loving it so far. I had the band for 14 years and had the issues you mentioned with it and much more. I finally had an unfill and regained my weight back. I was sleeved on 10/1/15 and my symptoms have subsided and I feel great. I am losing weight at a fairly fast clip considering my metabolism, size, and amount to lose. I do have to make good food decisions on a daily basis and I do suspect I will have to watch what I eat forever, but to me personally and no disrespect to others who have made different choices, I rather do that than deal with malabsorption and supplementation issues at this time in my life. I might change my mind later and add a switch if necessary but right now I want to give this a good try. Again, JMHO and my own personal philosophy at this point. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the conversion :)

What kind of BMI are you dealing with? That would impact my decision on restriction vs malabsorption.

Keep researching and learn everything you can before making this big decision. Remember that it's the long term results that count - I'm glad your friends are happy and doing well, but it's important to look at people who are at least 5 and better 10 years out to see how a given operation holds up over the long haul. We've seen so many people with gastric bypass and sleeve who did well initially, only to struggle later. I do think some people will be successful with a sleeve, but what percentage and how hard they will have to work at it is unclear.
After years of dieting, I was tired of working so very hard. You may feel differently, or perhaps your experience has been different from mine, but keep in mind that the sleeve gives you just restriction and minimal metabolic improvement and no malabsorption. If you do decide on the DS you will need to travel because there are no DS surgeons in Nevada, but Dr. Keshishian in Glendale (suburb of Los Angeles) wouldn't be too far, and many people travel farther than that.
My understanding is that 5 years out, people maintain an average loss of 50% of their excess weight with bypass or VSG. I'm not sure about beyond that yet.

The GBP RnY, don't even think about it. You won't be happy.

The VSG can work if if you don't have a metabolic disorder, but for me I would have failed a VSG because I had a metabolic disorder and I like to eat too much. THe switch part is what really does the trick for long term weight loss success. My advice is too research but I think you will see at the end of the day that the DS is the best available option for long term success and you can eat , can eat a ton. I eat 4,000 calories a day and about 250 grams of protein...and I cheat and eat a lot of carbs as well and get away with it for now....not everyone can, but you can still eat whatever you want with the DS you just have to be protein first mind set and then you can have carbs.

Why do you think a VSG as a revision surgery is going to be enough? You've already failed a restriction-only surgery, and now your metabolism is even more damaged. And Umbach doesn't do the DS so he's not going to suggest it to you.
Thats a fair question, and really, only time will tell. The main reason I failed with the band is because of the horrible side effects I experienced, either not having enough restriction for the band to benefit me, or not being able to get and keep food and fluids down. I had my endoscopy last week, and they confirmed that my band slipped.

The GBP RnY, don't even think about it. You won't be happy.

The VSG can work if if you don't have a metabolic disorder, but for me I would have failed a VSG because I had a metabolic disorder and I like to eat too much. THe switch part is what really does the trick for long term weight loss success. My advice is too research but I think you will see at the end of the day that the DS is the best available option for long term success and you can eat , can eat a ton. I eat 4,000 calories a day and about 250 grams of protein...and I cheat and eat a lot of carbs as well and get away with it for now....not everyone can, but you can still eat whatever you want with the DS you just have to be protein first mind set and then you can have carbs.
I'm not looking at the RnY, just mentioned it for reference. I've never been diagnosed with any metabolic disorders, PCOS, or diabetes. I'm overweight, my cholesterol is high, but I'm otherwise healthy. I'm generally fairly active too, but had to stop my exercise regimen after a fractured tibia and blown ankle ligament, Which required a pretty intensive surgery last fall. That coupled with being rear ended screwed me pretty well for the past 6 months. I've got three bulging discs and shoulder tendonitis from that. I'm hoping to be able to resume more activities soon.

Hello, folks! I'm happy to have found this site and community, especially since so many people here seem to have a good grip on health and nutrition. I was banded in '08, and had a pretty miserable time of it. Lots of vomiting, aspirating at night, chronic heartburn, and inability to eat, coupled with poor weight loss. Initially, I was able to fight my way to a 50 lb loss, before I couldn't handle the awful side effects anymore, and got totally unfilled. I gained back everything I lost over the next couple of years, and after surpassing my previous high weight. I decided to give it another try three years ago, and busted my ass doing everything by the book:diet, exercise, protein, the whole shebang, before the same awful side effects caught up to me again, even though I didn't have a tight fill. Once again, I gained everything back. I'm now researching a revision to VSG, after seeing how well several friends have done with it. I've already had a consult with Dr. Umbach, here in Vegas, and I'm scheduled for an endoscopy tomorrow morning to check for a band slip and hiatal hernia, both of which he thinks are likely, given my symptoms. If I'm positive for both, I'll probably be on the fast track for a revision, and I've been doing all the reading I can on the effectiveness of the sleeve, and the commitment it will take to make it work.
Soooo... Here we are. Looking forward to exploring the forums. I'd especially like to hear from folks who've had this revision, and how they've done. I'm also looking for the lowdown on any unpleasant aspects of the sleeve I should know about. Folks for whom the sleeve didn't work out, why do you think that may be? Thanks in advance!

Hi there! This board is really the only one I bother staying active on at 5 years post-op. I'm not a revision VSG, but I have had my share of huge losses in my past, pre-op, the one biggie from 300+ to 155 way back in my 20's.. I'm almost 43 now, and had my VSG right before my 38th. I weighed in at 264 on the day of surgery (down from 280 a couple months prior) and got down to a normal BMI at a year, and dipped too low at 6months past that. Right now I'm sitting at 82% EWL (figuring inside a normal BMI as goal) and I would like to lose the 20lbs I regained over the last couple years to get back into my jeans as I'm squarely overweight. :) Not too shabby as I'd spent a few years being very irresponsible with my heath and regained due to those actions and state of mind. Without the VSG, I would have easily been 80bs up by now, so that in itself is fantastic in my book.

I'm glad you're not considering the RNY. The VSG is imo, a very good procedure for the right candidate,the DS is the absolute best, there's no contesting that- however, that is assuming you are the right fit for it. I've been around the boards for over 6 years, and can say without question, there are some that should never get the DS. Even some of the best patients can also have serious issues both in and outside of their control. That said, it was the only other surgery I considered. I obviously chose what I did based on my own needs, and feel very comfortable with the outcome.. it was exactly what I expected.

Unpleasant aspects- none that I can really elaborate on myself.. the biggest downfall I see is regain in many, for many reasons, some for metabolic reasons, some behavioral, many times a bit of both. New GERD can be an issue, as can worsening pre-existing reflux. I had GERD pre-op, and it's controlled at the same low dose of prilosec as it has been for many years.. no nausea, gastritis, nothing. I burp more after I eat, especially if I try to eat very fast. I often get full faster than I'd prefer. I've never intentionally tried to "undereat" my capacity, and have pushed the limits more than I care to admit, but my restriction has not changed much since nearly 1 year post-op. The more I'm enjoying my meal, it seems the faster I fill up! :) I don't get physically hungry often at all- rarely if I'm eating high-fat/lower carb.. more if I'm living on pizza. I tend to eat 4x a day, or 2 real meals, then snack for a few hours.. it all levels out in the end. If I eat too much of the wrong stuff, I gain.. but I maintain on a normal amount (1600-1800 cal) for someone my age & size, and activity (not active at all.)

Latest posts

Back