Halloween Cookies, Kidnapping and the UN

Spiky Bugger

I bought some Halloween-themed cookies (undecorated bats, pumpkins and ghosts), plates, napkins and some store-bought frosting and assorted sprinkles. Then I invited my 9-year old friend, B, and the neighbor kids from each side: Poor L. He’s 8 and the only boy and arrived with his sister, S1, who is 10. They came on Sunday. They decorated. We vacuumed sprinkles off the floor. All was fine.

But today? K1, age 10, and her sister K2 who is 8 showed up with their mom. We were ready for those three kids...B, K1 and K2. MrSue went to school to get B, but he came home with B and S2. He figured I forgot to tell him about S2. But I didn’t tell him because no one told me. There we sat...with S2, whom B introduced as her new BFF. We didn’t know her last name, how to reach her parents, if they had any idea where their kid was, where she needed to go after the decorating or if MrSue was about to get busted for kidnapping.

So first, I put on my cranky face and told B that it is WAY not cool to invite people to someone else’s house if the someone else doesn’t know about it. Then, I invited S2 to hang around for cookie fun, but let’s call her mom and make sure it was okay. Of course S2 didn’t know her phone number...because she has her own cell phone and nobody needs to memorize numbers anymore. But...she forgot her phone at home this morning. And she left her planner, which also had her phone number on it, at school.

Who IS this child and are we going to get arrested?

I called B’s dad. He knew the child and where she lives, as B had been to a party there. But he had to ask MiniSue for the phone number. She finally responded. I called. Voice Mail.

I got creative and called the school. The goofy old woman my age who is some kind of volunteer community liaison answered. I explained our situation. I told her the phone number I had. She probably broke several rules and gave me a phone number for what was probably the step-dad. I called, he was way cool considering how bad my Spanish is. And didn’t seem the least concerned that the child had wandered off with a strange man.

Decorating ended. B’s dad took B and S2 home. Rehashing the events of the day w/MiniSue, I told her I hadn’t been upset, just concerned. Because I realized that I just wanted this precious, beautiful child’s grown-ups to give a shit.

MiniSue said, “yes...they are a large, extended, laid-back family with five kids and lots of cousins and a grandma or two. This is why I’ve told them that S2 is welcome here any time. But I haven’t told them that I’m never sending B to S2’s house.”

The UN part? The ethnic breakdown in the home of this Mexican-American/Sicilian-American and my husband, the Heinz 57 White Dude from flyover country was:
two Chinese-American kids;
one blue-eyed quarter-Mexican/quarter European Jew - other half freckled Irish-American kid;
two half Chinese-American, half Korean-American kids; and,
one very curly-haired, bilingual English-Spanish kid with (as in the Eydie Gormè song “Piel Canela” in which the refrain means “black eyes cinnamon skin” and whose last name was something like Smith or Davis.

But it didn’t happen because...no pics.

[BTW, way off topic, K2 is a PAINFULLY shy little girl, 8 years old, who turns away, from both kids and adults, to avoid interacting or even eye contact. Mom says she goes to therapy once a week, but it is sad to see how very much she needs to avoid others. Academically, she’s doing well. She was light years ahead of the other kids in creative cookie decorating...I hope she finds comfort.]

Wow it used to amaze me when my children were that age how parents were so not knowing about the whereabouts of their children. 5 minutes late im calling the fbi trying to find my offspring. I guess the parents need a breather. But i guess because what i do for a living i was way over protective. I didn't care i wanted everyone to know i was crazy and would go do some time over mine. I was serious.

SB, you can really tell a story - have you written your autobiography? if so, I want to read it. if not, why not?

I want to read it!

Wow it used to amaze me when my children were that age how parents were so not knowing about the whereabouts of their children. 5 minutes late im calling the fbi trying to find my offspring. I guess the parents need a breather. But i guess because what i do for a living i was way over protective. I didn't care i wanted everyone to know i was crazy and would go do some time over mine. I was serious.
I know growing up, my Mother hardly ever knew where we were during the day. But then I’m 65 now, growing up in the late 50’s/early 60’s made a difference.

I know growing up, my Mother hardly ever knew where we were during the day. But then I’m 65 now, growing up in the late 50’s/early 60’s made a difference.
that's how it was for my brothers and at the same time.

my Mom was much more nervous about knowing what I was.

I’m pushing 73, and back in the day, almost every house on the block had a mom at home, who knew YOUR mom and kept an eye on all the kids. It was assumed, rather safely, that we could make it down to the school and do the games they had going in the summer and make it home safely.

In the early 80s, we lived on a similar street. One day a herd of kids got off the school bus, walked a block or so, and DISCOVERED that Christine wasn’t home, Jennifer wasn’t home, Mary wasn’t home, Della wasn’t home and I wasn’t home. Six or seven kids, grades 3-6 abandoned! And then suddenly, five cars, coming from various directions, breaking speed limits! Those ”kids,” now in their 40s, still remember the day they were abandoned.

I’m pushing 73, and back in the day, almost every house on the block had a mom at home, who knew YOUR mom and kept an eye on all the kids. It was assumed, rather safely, that we could make it down to the school and do the games they had going in the summer and make it home safely.
My Mother worked, I was a latchkey kid after my Mother and daddy separated when I turned 10. And I was responsible for my younger sister. Most of the neighbors were older and kidless. So they didn’t keep track of the other kids in the neighborhood.

It’s also why my sister and I managed to get plenty of scraps and bruises...like falling off the bike before crashing into a tree from riding down our very steep driveway heading to the creek at the back of our property.

My Mother worked, I was a latchkey kid after my Mother and daddy separated when I turned 10. And I was responsible for my younger sister. Most of the neighbors were older and kidless. So they didn’t keep track of the other kids in the neighborhood.

It’s also why my sister and I managed to get plenty of scraps and bruises...like falling off the bike before crashing into a tree from riding down our very steep driveway heading to the creek at the back of our property.
Some similarity here. But we were suburbs kids, post WWII tract houses all in a row. Gaggles of Baby Boomers. Mom finally let us stay home alone one summer. I have no idea how many times we watched the 1948 movie The Boy With Green Hair. But I know we ran out every time the Helmsman‘s whistle blew! .

My sister and I were out and about early on, with two parents, because our mom eventually worked outside the home, a very uncommon thing at that time and place. That made us very odd kids. Catholic school. So Mom dropped us off EARLY in the morning, maybe 6:30 am, before we were allowed at school. No choice,..we had to go to Mass every morning. It was free daycare. Our parents split when I was 12 and my sister was 10 1/2. We could go riding our bikes all over the place but NOT cross the really big streets. I don't recall any crashes. Just the time I discovered I was afraid of heights...climbed halfway up the hill next to the J. C. Penney’s store...and froze...terrified...wouldn’t move. There were several of us and two girls got the teen boy at the gas station to rescue me. I was too young to be embarrassed on a boy-girl level!

I want to go to the local elementary school and be the neighborhood Old Person...telling how we survived with party line phones, no remote controlled anything, and this on the tv screen late at night until early morning:

But we were suburbs kids, post WWII tract houses all in a row. Gaggles of Baby Boomers.
Oh we were in the suburbs but the house we were in was JUST as you topped a hill so traffic coming from that way, had no way of knowing we were there. We figured out really early, the safest place for bike riding was on our driveway. Which was a flat spot on a downhill drive with more downhill beyond it.

Prior to that house, we had one that was much better for kids and yards, and biking etc. Within walking distance (even by today's standards) of the elementary school. We were also within walking distance of our paternal grandparents.

I remember that logo from decades ago. I think TBS and WGN were the first all night stations we ever got and I was in college when they became available. I remember an all nighter writing a paper while having TBS on in the background. I think I wrote thru four movies...I'd look up occasionally but it was mostly there for the noise factor. This was back when our TV actually consisted of two, one for sound, one for picture...neither worked completely. And no remote in site. Meant I actually had to GET out of my chair and go change the channel.

Wow! Sounds like fun cookie time, though I too would have been greatly concerned about an extra unnamed child, especially of young age.

At Liam's 16th birthday party this summer, one classmate brought his girlfriend as an unexpected plus one. I didn't know the classmate, let alone the girlfriend, but it turns out that she lives about an hour away, across a state line and had just weaned off of epilepsy medicines. I had set up mood lighting for the party with flickering LED candles - not sure if they were the cause (oops!) but, in any case, she had a massive grand mal seizure event that necessitated a 911 call. Since her boyfriend was the only one who knew anything about her (e.g. full name, parents' contact info, history of seizures), the first responders said that he should be the one person allowed to accompany her for the ambulance ride. When Charles and I arrived separately at the ER, the hospital personnel denied us access to them because we didn't know her last name. It took 20 minutes of texting back and forth to various kiddos to get the boyfriend's mobile phone number and get inside.
It all worked out and she's fine, but underscores the need for parents connecting with each other and having contact info before allowing their children to visit.

Wow! Sounds like fun cookie time, though I too would have been greatly concerned about an extra unnamed child, especially of young age.

At Liam's 16th birthday party this summer, one classmate brought his girlfriend as an unexpected plus one. I didn't know the classmate, let alone the girlfriend, but it turns out that she lives about an hour away, across a state line and had just weaned off of epilepsy medicines. I had set up mood lighting for the party with flickering LED candles - not sure if they were the cause (oops!) but, in any case, she had a massive grand mal seizure event that necessitated a 911 call. Since her boyfriend was the only one who knew anything about her (e.g. full name, parents' contact info, history of seizures), the first responders said that he should be the one person allowed to accompany her for the ambulance ride. When Charles and I arrived separately at the ER, the hospital personnel denied us access to them because we didn't know her last name. It took 20 minutes of texting back and forth to various kiddos to get the boyfriend's mobile phone number and get inside.
It all worked out and she's fine, but underscores the need for parents connecting with each other and having contact info before allowing their children to visit.
Wow!

Latest posts

Back