Gut/Obesity

I was reading somewhere that Alzheimer's Disease is from inflammation, too.

on the other hand, a co-worker (PT with a PhD) recently told us about a class she took in "dry needling" where you stick needles in someone to relieve pain by - oddly - creating the inflammation response which then helps with healing and pain relief.

I'm told it is nothing at all like acupuncture* because that would be woo and this is, you know, Physical Therapy.

so, I think the point is we need to understand/know more about inflammation.

*it only looks exactly like acupuncture

I was reading somewhere that Alzheimer's Disease is from inflammation, too.

on the other hand, a co-worker (PT with a PhD) recently told us about a class she took in "dry needling" where you stick needles in someone to relieve pain by - oddly - creating the inflammation response which then helps with healing and pain relief.

I'm told it is nothing at all like acupuncture* because that would be woo and this is, you know, Physical Therapy.

so, I think the point is we need to understand/know more about inflammation.

*it only looks exactly like acupuncture

I've had dry needling at PT for my lower back. It didn't help me at all. The goal was try to get the atrophied muscles in my lower back to relax some so that the PT might actually work.
It didn't.
It was horrible and I hated it. He would put the needle into the muscle and then just stab at it repeatedly....in and out. I can't even describe the feeling...kind of like hitting your funny bone but x1000. When he would find a particularly stubborn muscle, he would put electricity to the needle for added stimulation. Made me jump off the table.

Never doing that again....I endured 4 sessions to say I gave it a real chance of working.

that sounds awful - I'm told the in & out thing is called "piston- ing" and in the class my co-worker took they said it wasn't helpful.

I got some great results with dry needling a while back....but got better results with medical acupuncture--as in done by an MD who also had the equivalent of same in China. He could thread acupuncture needles into places where angels feared to tread. Hurt like hell at the time but gave MONTHS of cumulative relief. The dry needling gave less total pain relief, but still was pretty darned good compared to where I started.

Latest posts

Back