Greetings from Canada!

Nikki

Hi There,

I am so pleased that I was referred to this site. I am blown away with all the great info.
I had a sleeve done a few years back but my weight loss was not great. I am looking at either an RNY or DS surgery to be done in Mexico.
I welcome any and all feedback!!

Cheers!

Nikki

Hi and welcome! I think I know who you are.

Having RNY after sleeve makes no sense (though yes, the RNY surgeons are happy to take your or your insurer's money to do what they know how to do and not what makes sense surgically and is going to help you the most). You already have the sleeve portion of the DS. Assuming your sleeve is in good shape, you just need to have the "switch" part added. For RNY, you would need the entire gastric bypass created from scratch, just using your sleeve because that's what's left of your old stomach. You would be having a bigger operation, messing with your stomach unnecessarily, and lose all the advantages you kept when you chose the sleeve in the first place. In other words, you put yourself at risk for dumping (which is NOT a weight loss tool, just a nasty side effect some people get with gastric bypass and not with DS), never be able to take NSAIDs again, lower percentage excess weight loss than DS, more weight regain problems than DS, lower rate of resolution of all major comorbidities than with DS.....
You get the picture.
There are folks here who went to Dr. Esquerra in Mexico both for virgin DS and also for revision of sleeve to DS. Reach out to them and I bet you will get some great feedback about their experiences.

Hi Larra,
Yes it is me from yesterday!
Thanks for all your info. You are totally correct about the surgical choice. I do agree that the DS is a much wiser and safer oprion.

I am currently looking into Dr. Esquerra..Thanks again

Welcome Nikki! The DS makes so much more sense when you are starting with a VSG. It is the natural second stage procedure. People have wonderful things to say about Dr. Esquerra.

NEVER RNY!!! NEVER RNY!!! NEVER RNY!!!

Now that I have that out of the way, WELCOME! I went to Esquerra and have only good things to say. Your recovery with adding the switch will be easy peasy. (It's the VSG portion that was a toughie for me.)

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it, NEVER RNY!!!

Latest posts

Back