Got my first set of Labs back - 4 months post op

marissamast

3X to small in 13 mos. Love my DS
Everything looks pretty good. I am high on Vitamin D3 - should be 30-80 and I am at 96 -I have been taking 50K units a day, I will cut that back to 3X a week. Copper is high, I have not been supplementing other than in my multis so I will see what Dr wants to do, or if he is even worried. A1c is 5.0!!!!!!! No more diabetes! Protien is low normal, 6.9, iron levels are all low normal. I haven't been taking iron but I will start. Vitamin K is at 4.6 (3.5 to 5.0) GFR has improved so that is good too. Liver and kidney function tests look good. Calcium is at 10, so high normal. Overall I am pretty pleased with the results. Ordering my iron supplement today.

Hmmm. Your calcium level is useless with out PTH as it tells you nothing about how you are absorbing the calcium. Your D level can drop like a rock, personally *I* would not cut back until I had a PTH and the D was around 120, but that's just me. I have seen D levels drop 50 points in a month.

Actually, your lab is using outdated range numbers for D...it's 30-100 not 30-80. That is the range from 18 months ago.

Keep your D that high...whatever you are doing now, KEEP doing it. My last one dropped from 118 to 115 doing NOTHING different. My PCP goes nuts and tells me it's too high. I ignore him for that little bit of too high esp since they haven't yet decided what the range should be...in 4 years it's gone from 15-50 as a range to 30-100 with a stop at 30-80 for awhile. If they can't decide where it needs to be, how in the hell can we?

Actually, your lab is using outdated range numbers for D...it's 30-100 not 30-80. That is the range from 18 months ago.

Keep your D that high...whatever you are doing now, KEEP doing it. My last one dropped from 118 to 115 doing NOTHING different. My PCP goes nuts and tells me it's too high. I ignore him for that little bit of too high esp since they haven't yet decided what the range should be...in 4 years it's gone from 15-50 as a range to 30-100 with a stop at 30-80 for awhile. If they can't decide where it needs to be, how in the hell can we?
Thanks beautiful lady...you guys are the best. I will keep taking what I am taking.

Everything looks pretty good. I am high on Vitamin D3 - should be 30-80 and I am at 96 -I have been taking 50K units a day, I will cut that back to 3X a week. Copper is high, I have not been supplementing other than in my multis so I will see what Dr wants to do, or if he is even worried. A1c is 5.0!!!!!!! No more diabetes! Protien is low normal, 6.9, iron levels are all low normal. I haven't been taking iron but I will start. Vitamin K is at 4.6 (3.5 to 5.0) GFR has improved so that is good too. Liver and kidney function tests look good. Calcium is at 10, so high normal. Overall I am pretty pleased with the results. Ordering my iron supplement today.

Did you continue to take any diabetic medications in the 4 months?

No. I had actually quit taking Metformin about 4 months before my surgery due to really bad reactions to it...headaches, depresdion, anxiety, muscle cramps, respiratory problems and my nails turned yellow! I had been just eating low carb and brought my A1c down 2 points. The day I got home from surgery, my fasting glucose was 92.

I know you aren't asking me but I WAS.
I was on an insulin pump and metformin 2000 mgs a day pre-op. I even went into surgery wearing my insulin pump. That was the 24th of Jan 2011. On the 1st of Feb after chasing lows for two nights in a row, I took off my insulin pump but still used my insulin AS needed. My last insulin was 11 days later. But I was still on metformin until April. (reduced dosage of 500 mgs but still on it)

Latest posts

Back