gained 5 pounds!

cris

Aunt Flo came with the gift of a 5 pound bloat....please tell me it will go away plus the pounds I should be losing. Crying. And I can't have cookies.

Only Lost 20 pounds (now 15) since 2 weeks before surgery and I am day 13 post op. Has this ruined the honeymoon period? Will it be slow going from here on out? I really do feel like it is not working. I feel like I should have lost more by now. Started with a bmi of 41. I can't eat without pain, can't drink enough...I think I am broken.

oh, man, I doubt you are broken or your sleeve either.

I can't eat without pain, can't drink enough

stop trying to eat at all until you can drink enough - seriously! dial it back for your stomach until you are comfortable getting in a min of 64 fluid ounces consistently and then add food in tiny amounts. like ONE bite.

I bet you will feel a lot better!

and the 5 pounds don't matter right now, don't worry about them

Okay,
1) STAY OFF THE SCALE
2) RE-read rule #1
3) Only weigh at doctor appts for now (and maybe always)
4) Re-read rule #1

Until you get past a mechanical object RULING your life (which is what the scale is) you need to stay away from it. Also there is the notorious "three week stall" (more or less) that is explained here: http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.php
The Inevitable Stall
By Diana C.

A "stall" a few weeks after surgery is not uncommon, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs. of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when a patient is not getting in enough food, the body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. Then when 2 lbs. of glycogen is used a patient will also lose 8 lbs. of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs. that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

However, when the body stays in a caloric deficit state the body starts to realize that this is not a short-term problem. Then the body starts mobilizing fat from adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But the body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. As it puts back the 2 lbs. of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs. of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though the patient might still be losing energy content to their body, the weight will not go down or it might even gain for a while as the retention of water dissolves the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

And to complicate matters, you are having your period.

As to eating, DIAL DOWN....you are moving too fast if it is hurting. Go back to fluids ONLY for another week. Your outside may be healed but your sleeve takes 8 WEEKS to even think it might be okay! Right now it is PISSED as hell at you and trying to do anything more than fluid is just pissing it off even more. Once you go back to regular foods, start with VERY soft and about 1 teaspoon at a time. Soft foods are things like yogurt, cottage cheese, ect.

yep, Keep Calm and...well, so many options

funny-cat-lolcat-captain-pilot-emergency-case1.jpg

because it only feels Out Of Control - just trust us, do what we say, it will get much better really soon!

45-group-lolcat-has-no-idea-how-to-drive-this-thing-from-we-heart-it.jpg

But to clarify, I only eat yogurt smoothies, cream soup and pudding all protein fortified, and even that hurts. I was getting tired of the isopure. But I will go back if I really got to. :frown:

any time you have pain, back up - back to just water if that's what it takes. you are very early out and your stomach has a huge stable line to heal.

Latest posts

Back