Gagging on Shakes

Mini Me

Cross-Post

I am 2 weeks out from a revision from VSG to DS. I have never liked Protein Drinks, but found a few that were tolerable.

I have heard of taste changing after surgery, but did not have that with my VSG. NOTHING, I mean nothing taste “right”. My only saving grace is Crystal Light Peach Tea.

My real worry is that I am gagging on my protein shakesI take a drink and it just sits in my mouth. It’s like my body is refusing to swallow. If I push and I do swallow, I have a horrible gag reflex.

is this normal? Has anyone else had this? Suggestions?

I had a super hard time post op. I drank so much Crystal Light! It took months before my tastebuds settled into a steady state, but they are not where they used to be. Some foods I just can't stand the taste of any more.

For shakes, I never found a way to make them acceptable. I think the least objectionable ones were the chicken broth flavored ones, and the Syntrax coffee flavored ones.

Try sipping your shake, instead of drinking it, perhaps?

The Nectar fruit flavors were great in crystal light for me at one point. Fuzzy Navel and Peach team was a combo that I enjoyed. It’s mix a large container with icy water and add the protein and crystal light and shake well. Nectar has a variety of flavors like lemonade, fruit punch, etc. It might be a good option for you. Try some samples or buy at places with good return policies like Vitamin Shoppe.

And I am one who can't tolerate Syntax Nectar...they gagged me. Just keep trying different ones. I know there is an unflavored one on Amazon. And there are the Unjury Chicken soup one...as long as you are careful with the water temp mixing it up, it might work.

I use Genepro because it has no flavor and I can put it in hot and cold things.
I put it in my tea in the morning and I make chocolate milk to put it in for the afternoon.
I could do shakes at first but then they became so nauseating to me that even the smell turns me off.

I had the same problem. Back then, I could only do the Adkins shakes that you buy in liquid form. Very cold. Cheapest place I found was Walmart. These days, I use Pure Protein, which is also purchased in liquid form. I get them at Trader Joe's but I believe they are also available through Amazon. They have 35 gm of protein (careful to buy the right one, there is another same brand with less protein on the same shelf) and if you add just a little bit of milk they taste pretty good. I like the chocolate flavor, haven't tried the vanilla.
But those powders you mix yourself - couldn't gag them down.

These days, I use Pure Protein, which is also purchased in liquid form. I get them at Trader Joe's but I believe they are also available through Amazon.
You can also get single servings at Vitamin Shoppe...expensive but not nearly as expensive as buying a pack or case and discovering you hate them.

The ONLY protein drink I can tolerate is the Unjury Chicken Soup (I gag on sweet drinks) - you need a thermometer to make it because you can't add the powder to the hot water unless the temp is under 140F, and as you can imagine, it doesn't taste great when it's lukewarm, but in the window between making it and sipping it down while nice and warm, it is actually very tasty. I often use it when I'm slightly nauseated or having heartburn as something to soothe my stomach - it is slightly garlicky like a good chicken broth, just slightly creamy in consistency, and 21 g of protein in 8 oz, which is easy to get down.

BUT - don't worry too much about getting enough protein in the first three months - you have plenty of reserves. Remember the 30-60-90 rule: aim to be able to consistently ingest 30 g protein per day by 30 days post op; 60 g by 60 days; 90 g by 90 days. Don't push it or fret about it too much right now. And also, don't rely SOLELY on protein shakes to the extent possible - as soon as you can, start adding soft real food to your diet, like tender fish, shrimp, scallops and eggs, and to add sauces to make them go down easily. DO NOT try to eat dry, low fat chicken or beef.

I'm trying a sample pack of syntrax nectar right now--it has all 17 flavors. So far, I have been able to tolerate the ones I have tried. None are great (so far), but the cherry one is godawful. It has an "under" taste that is gross. These are okay in a pinch and right now you can get the bundle of all the flavors on sale for $22.95, which is a bargain for the Syntrax bundle. Here's a link to the sale. It's a while supplies last kind of thing: https://www.bariatricnutrition.com/...Samples_Oct2017&utm_medium=blog&utm_source=OH

And I am one who can't tolerate Syntax Nectar...they gagged me. Just keep trying different ones. I know there is an unflavored one on Amazon. And there are the Unjury Chicken soup one...as long as you are careful with the water temp mixing it up, it might work.

I can’t drink them anymore, nor can I drink crystal light. But the two together were great while it lasted. Now I’m a black coffee and fudge protein powder girl. :)

The Nectar fruit flavors were great in crystal light for me at one point. Fuzzy Navel and Peach team was a combo that I enjoyed. It’s mix a large container with icy water and add the protein and crystal light and shake well. Nectar has a variety of flavors like lemonade, fruit punch, etc. It might be a good option for you. Try some samples or buy at places with good return policies like Vitamin Shoppe.

I'm going to try that combination. Did you add the Fuzzy Navel to the Peach? Did you add those to Crystal Light?

Thanks everyone. It is funny about the Unjury Soup - it was my go to when I had the slee. Now it is disgusting. That being said, I have a ton of stuff I bought that is nasty.

I do have a cocoa powder I can mix with almond milk that went down today. One step ata a time.

I mix cocoa powder/powdered sugar and a little vanilla into my Lactaid milk and add protein powder

I'm going to try that combination. Did you add the Fuzzy Navel to the Peach? Did you add those to Crystal Light?

I used peach tea crystal light with fuzzy navel Nectar protein. I used to put it in a 32oz glass with lots of ice. It’s pretty sweet so I’d water it down a lot. It helped with water intake too.

Latest posts

Back