Finally...first time in 8.3 years!!

Spiky Bugger

I went for my routine labs this morning. She read the list and pulled out a piece of foil. Went down the list some more and pulled out another piece of foil.

I told her she was LIGHT YEARS ahead of the other people who had done my blood draws. She asked why. I told her that they ALWAYS want to just "put it right here in my pocket...it will be fine." She rolled her eyes...I like her.

I would get pretty snippy with the lab techs if they try to do that - so I avoid that by stating as they gather the tubes "do you have the foil ready for the ones that need to be protected from light immediately to get accurate readings?" The foil comes out.

The fight I always have is with using a butterfly. @Diana , I think it was you who told me about the science behind their argument being wrong. They claimed the butterfly needle was too small for the platelets or some such BS, and it would make the lab test invalid. I argued (thank you) that those cells are the same size in infants as in adults, and they use those for infants all the time for COMFORT. When they are popping on and off 21 vials, I think it just makes sense to use a butterfly for COMFORT. I guess maybe they think I mean THEIR comfort, not mine? It costs more, they say. How much? I ask. About $1.55. WTF? When my entire labs cost close to $2K, you want to quibble over two dollars?

At the lab I go to, they see me coming and fight over who "gets" me. I'm an easy poke, but the paperwork is a killer. They revamped their office and did away with the secretaries. Only phlebotomists work there now, and they do everything. Last time I was there, a guy passed out cold. The girl yelled for 5 minutes for help before someone came to her rescue. I'd say their "revamping" was no improvement to patient care. He was on the floor, so they had to lift him to a wheelchair to take him back where he could lay down. I'm looking for a new lab.

There are several labs that we get drawn that are "light sensitive". I think A is one of them but I'm sure someone will correct me.

Most techs simply slip the tube into their pocket after the draw, but a good tech will immediately wrap it in aluminum foil to minimize the exposure to light.

My lab puts the vitamin A vial immediately into a dark heavy foam sheath to protect from light. It is always the last vial they draw

Vitamin A: http://ltd.aruplab.com/Tests/Pub/0080525
Specimen Preparation
Protect from light during collection, storage, and shipment.

Vitamin B6: http://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/BUOrderInfo.action?tc=926&labCode=SJC
Collection Instructions
Transfer plasma to dark brown polypropelene or polyethylene transport tubes to protect from light. Alternately, neutral color polypropylene or polyethylene tubes can be used if wrapped in aluminum foil.
In general - this list is even more comprehensive than I realized!: http://mlabs.umich.edu/files/pdfs/POL-SPECIMEN_GUIDELINES.pdf

SPECIMEN HANDLING GUIDELINES FOR SPECIMENS REQUIRING PROTECTION FROM LIGHT

Some specimens must be protected from light during storage and transport, since exposure to light can
alter the results of several types of tests. Although specimens are protected from light when stored in a
dark refrigerator or freezer, they are exposed when the door is opened and during handling and transport
to the testing laboratory.

All urine specimens that require protection from light should be collected in a brown tinted container,
placed in a brown paper bag, or wrapped in foil (preferred). All serum, plasma, or whole blood specimens
that require protection from light should be placed in a brown paper bag or wrapped in foil (preferred).

The following is a listing of tests that require that the specimen be protected from light:

 Amphotericin B, Serum
 Bilirubin, Fractionated
 Bilirubin, Total
Carotene
 Chlordiazepoxide, Serum
 Chlorpromazine, Serum
Folic Acid, Erythrocytes
 Isoniazid, Serum
 Lipid Survey, Body Fluids
 Porphobilinogen (PBG), Quantitative, Urine
 Porphyrins, Qualitative Screen, Urine
 Porphyrins, Quantitative, Urine
Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate, Plasma
 Rifampin
 Thioridazine
 Trifluoperazine, Serum
 Vitamin A
 Vitamin B1, Plasma or Serum
 Vitamin B1, Whole Blood
 Vitamin B2
 Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
 Vitamin C, Plasma
 Vitamin E
 Vitamin K1

Interesting, because it also states we should be abstaining from VITAMINS and ALCOHOL for at least 24 hours prior to the draw. I have always abstained from vitamins for 48 hours before a draw, and fasted as well. But for my iron labs, no fasting of any type is required, curiously.

Thank you, Oh Wise One, @Diana . Also, thanks for the butterfly information. It works like a charm every time they don't want to use one.

You're very welcome - except I don't remember being the one who told you that. :) I've NEVER had anyone balk at using a butterfly needle, and in fact, at my lab, they always suggest it when I tell them I'm a hard stick with only ONE good vein, which is deep and rolls.

You're very welcome - except I don't remember being the one who told you that. :) I've NEVER had anyone balk at using a butterfly needle, and in fact, at my lab, they always suggest it when I tell them I'm a hard stick with only ONE good vein, which is deep and rolls.

Oopsie. Maybe it was KathyF, then. I know she was the Smarty Pants who told me about Florastor, which saved me from fouling the air.

Oopsie. Maybe it was KathyF, then. I know she was the Smarty Pants who told me about Florastor, which saved me from fouling the air.
Nope, afraid I can't take credit for the butterfly needle info. :pDT_nail:

Latest posts

Back