FDA approves medically-assisted bulimia device

I think it's an interesting concept. Rather than expecting people to completely alter their lifelong eating habits and overcome whatever traumas they may have experienced and/or overcome a broken metabolism that forces them to eat hundreds of calories less than "normal" people to lose weight or even maintain, it allows people, to some extent, to continue eating too much...sort of. It's not for everyone, to be sure, but I think there are some people who will gladly live with a tube and the need to drain yucky looking stuff from their stomachs in exchange for losing weight while not starving.
Different strokes for different folks! And for someone who just won't chew enough to make the system useful, why not try a larger diameter tube?? Hey @DianaCox can I get a patent for the larger tube idea? Laugh all you want, but to me this seems far superior to lap band or gastric balloon.

I just can't wrap my brain around this. To me, it's the equivalent of yelling "brrring me a bucket". It just seems like a gross indulgence and a waste, solving nothing. As soon as the device is removed, the person will become obese again.

@Spiky Bugger we'll combine your Shopvac with my larger tube and our patients will lose weight for sure!

Actually, as I understand it, the thing works by gravity and not suction, but all the more reason our system deserves a patent. And really, sucking out stomach contents with a big ole shopvac - what could possibly go wrong?

Wow... All I can say is YUCK! I mean I know we have all done drastic things to lose weight but wow. This just seems excessive. And after having a feeding tube stuck in my side (while it was different) but I would not want to have a tube and port permanently in me! Pass.

I think it's a stupid idea and one as craven as it could be. It's selling people on the dream: You really can eat whatever you want, whenever you want, without consequence. And this device will be targeted to a patient population already with a proven track record of failure to adhere to common sense, willing to damage their bodies horribly in their binge/purge cycles. Nope...nothing could possibly go wrong there!!
:riiight::boo:

My first thought was ewww gross.

My second thought was that I thought the same thing when I first heard about the DS and the (possible) gas and poop issues.

So my final thought is maybe I shouldn't be too quick to judge.

The only possible positive use of this device that I can see would be to drain the stomach of a person like Cameron who had severe gastroparesis because his pyloric valve doesn't function well due to vagal nerve damage. Even in severe cases I don't see this as an effective solution because those people need the nutrients they simply need help getting it from their stomach to intestines in a more expeditious fashion. There is already another solution for those patients and what Dr K did to change Camerons life. You put in a roux en y drain off of the greater curvature of the stomach to allow some of the food to exit that way into the small intestine (without bypassing much as weight loss is not the goal in these cases).

As a weight loss tool, the FDA should be ashamed of approving this dangerous snake oil.

Latest posts

Back