Evidence needed on obesity definition, treatment, AACE declares

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member

By: WHITNEY MCKNIGHT, Internal Medicine News Digital Network

WASHINGTON – Obesity requires a medical definition that goes beyond gauging a person’s body mass index if cost-effective care is to be delivered in an integrated fashion, according to a consensus statement issued by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the American College of Endocrinology.

"The definition of obesity as a disease is not perfect," Dr. W. Timothy Garvey, who chaired the AACE/ACE Obesity Consensus Conference, said in a media briefing. "We rely upon an [anthropometric] measure of body mass index, which is a measure of height versus weight, and there was consensus that this was ... divorced from the impact of weight gain on the health of the individual. This imprecision in our diagnosis of obesity was constraining us."

In 2013, the American Medical Association officially recognized obesity as a disease. Better codification of what actually constitutes "obesity, the disease," will allow a more integrated and effective approach to treating it, said Dr. Garvey, professor of medicine and chair of the department of nutrition sciences at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. To do so, the AACE/ACE held an intensive, 2-day session that largely featured spontaneous discussions between panelists and audience members representing four specific obesity "pillars": biomedical, government and regulation, health industry and economics, and research and education sectors.

A constant theme across the sectors was the need for a definition of obesity that accounts for cultural differences, ethnicity, and the presence or absence of cardiometabolic markers of disease in persons who are overweight or obese.

The conference’s multidisciplined approach informed the consensus statement that obesity is a chronic disease that should be treated with the established AACE/ACE obesity algorithm and met with lifestyle interventions. The consensus statement also addressed our current "obesogenic" environment, which many participants said was created in part by the abundance of nonnutritious foods.

In an interview, Dr. Susan Kansagra, deputy commissioner of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, said that by working with local vendors and their suppliers, among other actions, her agency is focused on increasing access to more nutritious foods in neighborhoods across the city as a way to shape the food environment. "It’s not people who’ve changed over the past 30 years; it’s the environment," Dr. Kansagra said at the conference.
Also addressed by the consensus statement was the need for preventive care, particularly at the pediatric level, and more cohesive public awareness campaigns that could affect how private payers develop their reimbursement strategies. Audience member Dr. Robert Silverman, medical director of CIGNA Healthcare, said that payers would respond to the need for obesity care, but that what currently is missing is "a tie between the evidence and the complications [of obesity]."

"We learned that different stakeholders require different levels of evidence," AACE President Jeffrey I. Mechanick said in the media briefing. "So, we’re going to be able come up with a more efficient way to make recommendations about research so that private insurance carriers, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, or regulatory agencies have the type of data they require to facilitate the action [they need]."

These differences were brought to light during the conference as various audience members representing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration, the CMS, the National Institutes of Health, and others involved in research and policy making, addressed the panel to either explain or defend why their agency operates as it does.

In the case of the CMS, a statutory organization, it can apply coverage only according to what the agency is mandated to do, said Dr. Elizabeth Koller of the CMS. The level of evidence the agency looks for, she said, includes "hard endpoints of clinical relevance, like reductions in sleep apnea and degenerative joint disease." The CMS is also concerned about the lack of long-term data on interventions, the durability of interventions, and which characteristics are common in people who relapse in their disease, said Dr. Koller, who addressed the group as an audience member.

"Hearing from the CMS was incredibly helpful. We learned so much," said Dr. Mechanick, director of metabolic support at the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York, in an interview.

Dr. Mechanick also said this was the first of three meetings, the next to be held in about a year, where the ultimate goal would be to use the evidence base they will have created to develop recommendations for all involved in delivering obesity care.

The talk was "polite," Dr. John Morton, chief of bariatric surgery at Stanford (Calif.) University and president of the American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, said in an interview, but he said he thinks there is bias against people with obesity. "We wouldn’t be having this discussion if it were about cancer," he said in the interview. "Sometimes we think the consequences of obesity are the result of a personal decision, and that may skew people in a direction where they don’t necessarily want to provide help."

Regardless, Dr. Garvey said at the briefing, "the ‘old world’ thinking that obesity is a lifestyle choice has failed us."

Dr. Mechanick is a consultant for Abbott Nutrition. Dr. Garvey has multiple industry relationships, including with Merck, Vivus, and Eisai.

Edited to post the full article

Last edited:
The site would not let me finish reading the article without providing them with my e-mail address. I didn't want to give it to them, too bad, it was getting interesting.

I would like to know more about how providing access to more nutritious food is going to cure obesity though.

The site would not let me finish reading the article without providing them with my e-mail address. I didn't want to give it to them, too bad, it was getting interesting.

I would like to know more about how providing access to more nutritious food is going to cure obesity though.
Same thing here. I was really getting into and went to second page and the ole sign up for account was there. I am going out on a limb but I bet these are people who haven't dealt with obesity and have no idea the struggles. They are probably the well just eat an extra salad and exercise more believers.

The talk was "polite," Dr. John Morton, chief of bariatric surgery at Stanford (Calif.) University and president of the American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, said in an interview, but he said he thinks there is bias against people with obesity. "We wouldn’t be having this discussion if it were about cancer," he said in the interview. "Sometimes we think the consequences of obesity are the result of a personal decision, and that may skew people in a direction where they don’t necessarily want to provide help."
Regardless, Dr. Garvey said at the briefing, "the ‘old world’ thinking that obesity is a lifestyle choice has failed us."

This is what I was thinking of when I read the part about better food being available. I know that I have not made the best choices in regard to what I ate, I didn't work hard enough on portion control, I was sedentary and I was always looking for a quick fix.

I was never heavy until after high school. I also had Insulin Resistance and PCOS (undiagnosed but more than probable hence, the total hysterectomy at age 41).

I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg. I do know that there was a hell of a lot more going on than the availability of nutritious foods.

It would be nice (and more helpful, I think) if they actually included the people they were talking about in their discussions. Otherwise you end up with conclusions based on a lot of assumptions by thin people about why fat people are fat. If you read the comments to any news article on obesity (eg. with relation to airplane seats) you get a pretty good idea of the opinions of many/most thin people on the subject, and on the whole, they are opinions based on prejudice. Unfortunately, medical people are just as prone to making these assumptions as everyone else is. Has there been any research at all which has involved questionnaires completed by obese people that try to determine how they became obese, looking at genetic factors, lifestyle factors, metabolic factors, health issues (both cause and effect), etc?

Most of them still don't understand fat. It's not a choice for most of us. It's not a lifestyle we picked. They comprehend cancer but not obesity. The whole thing boils down to the fact that the majority of the medical profession still does not see obesity as a disease. They believe it is a lifestyle choice.

And they don't comprehend that plenty of us could and did gain weight on 800 or 1000 calorie per day diets. In their hearts they believe calories in VS calories expended and we just need to push ourselves away from the table... They believe every last one of us cheated on those diets.

They are incredibly arrogant. It would be much easier to just admit they don't know it all and there is much about obesity that is not understood. Fat lives in an airtight/logic tight compartment in their brains. And to understand obesity they have to be able to look outside that box.

Thanks for the post Southernlady! I was very happy to hear Dr. Morton point out the bias many in the medical community have towards the obese. But I'm troubled to hear he's anti DS! I've worked in healthcare for 33yrs now, and as time marches on it grows more and more clear to me that money is THE primary driver of policy. Why, pray tell, might the American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery head be against a procedure with the #1 efficacy rate in it's core goal-weight loss, #1 in lack of weight regain at 2,5,10yrs, has a 98% cure rate for Apnea, 93% Diabetes, little to no dumping syndrome,etc. ? Could it be risk of complications? IMO no. The gastric bypass procedure (Roux-en-Y) is pumped like popcorn in a movie theater and it has similar malabsorbptive issues AND a few others such as major dumping syndrome. The lap band? Puleeze! It's failure rate is 60%+ . I've had 7 coworkers who've had it-every one failed and 6 needed emergency surgery due to erosion or slippage. So why the discriminatory treatment of DS?: MONEY. The fact is a surgeon can perform 4-5 lap bands/ sleeves in a day vs. 2 DS's in a day at a similar price point. Surgical centers also know well that lap bands and sleeves are likely to eventually be followed up with a DS at some point in time. So they can get 2 procedures out of the same customer. It's a crying shame...but it is what it is. It's only because patients are demanding this procedure that it's starting to be done more worldwide. We need to continue to educate people and literally compel surgeons to offer this procedure. It's not right for everyone...but it certainly should be offered to those who would most benefit from it.

DianaCox you great bad cop you...you keep right on calling out those Dr.'s who refuse to accept what prevailing medical science has shown them! The DS is a safe and effective primary procedure for treating the morbidly obese. It should be offered by ALL bariatric surgeons as one of their options, with the patient having a choice for what's right for them according to their needs. To those who've had a band, please don't be angry with me. I speak as a man of science interested only in the truth. I believe this procedure will be banned within a few years...assuming the AMA chooses the ethically correct path-no doubt after enough lawsuits compel them to. It's failure rate (In bariatric terms a failure to lose at least 50% of excess weight)exceeds any procedure, and it's complication rate is equally astounding. Offering it while refusing to offer DS to morbidly obese individuals is a crime IMO. Just one man's opinion...

Most of them still don't understand fat. It's not a choice for most of us. It's not a lifestyle we picked. They comprehend cancer but not obesity. The whole thing boils down to the fact that the majority of the medical profession still does not see obesity as a disease. They believe it is a lifestyle choice.

And they don't comprehend that plenty of us could and did gain weight on 800 or 1000 calorie per day diets. In their hearts they believe calories in VS calories expended and we just need to push ourselves away from the table... They believe every last one of us cheated on those diets.

They are incredibly arrogant. It would be much easier to just admit they don't know it all and there is much about obesity that is not understood. Fat lives in an airtight/logic tight compartment in their brains. And to understand obesity they have to be able to look outside that box.
You took the words right out of my mouth! Unfortunately, the wider community also believes the cr*p about obesity being a lifestyle choice. Hence the fact that it's considered okay to discriminate against and just be plain nasty to those who are obese.

Latest posts

Back