Evaluate the PLAN Please- sorry so long

duh_Mom

Hi all, want a little feedback to make sure I am on the correct / safe path for my surgery. I am a lap-band to DS revision scheduled June 16 (yep a long time, but earliest I could get). Dr. Boyce is doing the deed.
I am spending time reading and learning and you guys are my source. I read other boards, but trust and respect the peeps here so am asking for feedback on my preop plan to make sure I am not getting too "crazy" with everything.

preop I have to do a 21 day VLCD - they abbreviate to make it sound way more exotic than it is. it stands for very low calorie diet. then a 2 day all liquids. I go to a nut class on 5/20 - which i will take in but then listen to you guys. (see I can learn) I honestly an not concerned about this - I am viewing it as a means to an end. Like a prescription - and I know it is going to be worth it in the end because this weight is going to come off and I am going to be healthy. Without the switch, it is all just a waste - that is how my brain sees it.

in an effort to get all the sugar and other unhealthy shit out of my body I have placed myself on around 1400 to 1500 cals - 45 carbs per meal plan with emphasis on protein.
I have added to my work calendar a 15 minute ride on my recumbent bike - I work from home when not traveling and the bike is right there. I do it while on calls and mute. Cant really walk any distance because my legs go numb after about 100 yards.

I have the spread sheet ready for all my labs - get those 5/20 too - I have already started bariatric vits from Barilife to get everything tuned up that I can get. 3 jigondo horse pills a day.

Post op for the first month or so - I plan to take the Barilife powdered vits the office recommends - then will order Vits from Amazon and follow Vitalady's suggestions. I have read posts here that tell me the first few months are not as critical for supplementation.

I am taking off 4 weeks from work and will not travel for another month if at all possible(for travel). I have already requested the time but then on the facebook page I read - people are talking about taking anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks - I sit my ass at a desk all day or could sit in my "sufferin' chair' aka big ass recliner - and work.

so, in summary-
1. current 1400 to 1500 plan with reduced sugar and carbs
2. 21 day VLCD as physician required
3. 2 days liquids - physician required
4. Some type of movement every day - bike or walking as able
5. bariatric Vits now and 30 to 60 days post op then switch to Vitalady plan
6. 4 weeks off work + 4 additional non-travel

What else will get me tuned up?

Make sure you take some before photos (FULL length) and your measurements.

After surgery, they will tell you to get in 60 grams of protein A DAY as well as carbs...FOCUS on hydration. If protein happens, it happens.

Btw, the 16th of June is my birthday.

Looks good, try to relax and take it as it comes. It will be here before you know it.

@duh_Mom, are you self pay or insurance. I live in Middle Tennessee and I am still contemplating the surgery. I would be a VSG to DS revision. I am self-pay so I'm curious as to how much he costs...if people recommend him for surgery, that is. Thanks for any info and feel free to PM if need be. Thanks!

@duh_Mom, are you self pay or insurance. I live in Middle Tennessee and I am still contemplating the surgery. I would be a VSG to DS revision. I am self-pay so I'm curious as to how much he costs...if people recommend him for surgery, that is. Thanks for any info and feel free to PM if need be. Thanks!
Not sure of his revision price. He's an excellent cutter, just lousy advice post op nutrition and vitamins.

Make sure you take some before photos (FULL length) and your measurements.

After surgery, they will tell you to get in 60 grams of protein A DAY as well as carbs...FOCUS on hydration. If protein happens, it happens.

Btw, the 16th of June is my birthday.
And my mommy's birthday.

Hi all, want a little feedback to make sure I am on the correct / safe path for my surgery. I am a lap-band to DS revision scheduled June 16 (yep a long time, but earliest I could get). Dr. Boyce is doing the deed.
I am spending time reading and learning and you guys are my source. I read other boards, but trust and respect the peeps here so am asking for feedback on my preop plan to make sure I am not getting too "crazy" with everything.

preop I have to do a 21 day VLCD - they abbreviate to make it sound way more exotic than it is. it stands for very low calorie diet. then a 2 day all liquids. I go to a nut class on 5/20 - which i will take in but then listen to you guys. (see I can learn) I honestly an not concerned about this - I am viewing it as a means to an end. Like a prescription - and I know it is going to be worth it in the end because this weight is going to come off and I am going to be healthy. Without the switch, it is all just a waste - that is how my brain sees it.

in an effort to get all the sugar and other unhealthy shit out of my body I have placed myself on around 1400 to 1500 cals - 45 carbs per meal plan with emphasis on protein.
I have added to my work calendar a 15 minute ride on my recumbent bike - I work from home when not traveling and the bike is right there. I do it while on calls and mute. Cant really walk any distance because my legs go numb after about 100 yards.

I have the spread sheet ready for all my labs - get those 5/20 too - I have already started bariatric vits from Barilife to get everything tuned up that I can get. 3 jigondo horse pills a day.

Post op for the first month or so - I plan to take the Barilife powdered vits the office recommends - then will order Vits from Amazon and follow Vitalady's suggestions. I have read posts here that tell me the first few months are not as critical for supplementation.

I am taking off 4 weeks from work and will not travel for another month if at all possible(for travel). I have already requested the time but then on the facebook page I read - people are talking about taking anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks - I sit my ass at a desk all day or could sit in my "sufferin' chair' aka big ass recliner - and work.

so, in summary-
1. current 1400 to 1500 plan with reduced sugar and carbs
2. 21 day VLCD as physician required
3. 2 days liquids - physician required
4. Some type of movement every day - bike or walking as able
5. bariatric Vits now and 30 to 60 days post op then switch to Vitalady plan
6. 4 weeks off work + 4 additional non-travel

What else will get me tuned up?

I was a band-to-DS revision...I had no weight loss diet pre-op...i may have had a few days of liquids in advance and the ever-disgusting bowel prep the night before.

I was pretty sure, for eleven weeks post-op, that I had made a terrible mistake and was going to regret this forever. My band had been causing problems and I was still dealing with those immediately post-op. Also, I would now rethink the advice I got to eat saltine crackers. Turns out, I do not do well with products containing flour...which is the primary ingredient in saltine crackers.

Good luck with your revision!

Sue

thank you all - and yes, I am trying to relax... still trying... still trying...

Spiky and Southern Lady, I will have to remember to wish your mama and you Happy B day. and thank you for adding me to the calendar. I'll have to find it - I did not know there was one. :) took me 10 minutes to figure out how to bookmark a post- that box at the bottom
of the post that says insert bookmark should have been a give away.

SJB4 - I am a mostly self pay - insurance is paying for the lapland removal, I am paying 27K for the rest of it. His prices are on his web page is you want to go read them - New Life Center for Bariatric something or other.

Elizabeth is there another pre-op vit you would recommend? post op I am just worried about swallowing a pill and brarilife has the powder. reckon i could get something chewable

and yes, Star - I am trying for no more than 45 per meal - its not hard really.

Again, thank you all. I will be planning on taking full pics- but won't subject you all to that. :)

Elizabeth is there another pre-op vit you would recommend? post op I am just worried about swallowing a pill and brarilife has the powder. reckon i could get something chewable
The BariLife in general is crap...and the powder is exceedingly NASTY!

The first few weeks of healing, focus on HYDRATION. Just learn to smile and nod at follow up visits. I tried to explain that DS'ers are different...I kept getting the RCA dog look. So I moved on to the smile and nod.

Swallowing a pill post op is no harder than pre-op...unless you are like me and down a handful at one go. I had to go to the one pill at a time with a swallow of water and by the time I got three or four in, I had no more room. (NOT the case now but I am over 4 years out). Chewable is usually NASTY too unless it has sugar in it and you don't want that. Stay away from gummy anything.

So what you do...don't worry about vitamins at all for the first 2 weeks, except maybe a multi (Centrum Equivalent). Do the multi 2-3 a day, one at a time. After about week 2-3, then start on the rest of the Vitalady list SLOWLY, like adding the D one day, then a couple of days later, some calcium, etc. BY the end of 6 weeks, you should be on the full list. They will probably draw a set of pre-op labs, you can adjust based on those labs BUT remember, it's easier to bring vitamin levels down than to get them out of the toilet.

Also if you can cut more carbs from your pre-op plan, even better.

One thing I would do is enjoy milk right now. FULL fat whole milk if you can. Chances are REALLY good you will become lactose intolerant afterwards. It was shocking to me how fast THAT happened. I got home from the hospital, made myself a protein shake (NOT USING THEIR CRAP) with whole milk which is all I had ever drunk, and was SO MISERABLE and gassy afterward. Once I switched to making my protein shakes with water, I was fine.

BTW, I did not buy any of their stuff if I could. I was the queen of "don't have the money right now cause I only get paid once a month" (no lie) and managed to avoid all of their products. And since I found out that Boyce's wife is the CEO of the BariLife company, I KNEW that lining their pockets was just wrong.

The BariLife in general is crap...and the powder is exceedingly NASTY!

The first few weeks of healing, focus on HYDRATION. Just learn to smile and nod at follow up visits. I tried to explain that DS'ers are different...I kept getting the RCA dog look. So I moved on to the smile and nod.

Swallowing a pill post op is no harder than pre-op...unless you are like me and down a handful at one go. I had to go to the one pill at a time with a swallow of water and by the time I got three or four in, I had no more room. (NOT the case now but I am over 4 years out). Chewable is usually NASTY too unless it has sugar in it and you don't want that. Stay away from gummy anything.

So what you do...don't worry about vitamins at all for the first 2 weeks, except maybe a multi (Centrum Equivalent). Do the multi 2-3 a day, one at a time. After about week 2-3, then start on the rest of the Vitalady list SLOWLY, like adding the D one day, then a couple of days later, some calcium, etc. BY the end of 6 weeks, you should be on the full list. They will probably draw a set of pre-op labs, you can adjust based on those labs BUT remember, it's easier to bring vitamin levels down than to get them out of the toilet.

While avoiding sugar in chewables is a good idea, for many of us...bariatric surgery or not...avoiding sugar alcohols is even more important. And, sugar alcohol based products are what are what is used in place of sugar. Sooooo, if it ends in "itol"...like sorbitol, mannitol, that kind of thing...exercise caution. Especially if you are suddenly changing from a considerable quantity of sugar to a similar quantity of artificial sweeteners.

Latest posts

Back