Emergency DS Food/Protein Kit

hilary1617

First time at the rodeo.
I spent all day yesterday at the local Blue Pearl Veterinary ER after waking to find Isaac, our 19 year old singing cuddle kitty, in the midst of a lengthy and terrifying stroke-induced seizure event. He's home now and doing quite well, but in the moment, I thought it was very likely the end of the road.

Charles had dropped us off and then had taken the children home to keep them occupied. Having lost our other kitty, Katrina, last year, they *knew* the gravity of the situation and were very distressed.

I didn't have time to pack food. I didn't even think about it in the rush out of the house. That meant that all day long, I had access only to coffee of dubious age and a vending machine filled with carbonated beverages. The meds I take are supposed to be accompanied by food, so that was problematic, but at least I did manage to get my purse pack of vitamins down the hatch.

Lesson learned - I should have had an emergency pack of durable food supplies - Protein shakes, Jerky, etc. - by the front door. I've created one today and will plan to refresh it every 2 weeks when I sort my vitamins. I contemplated putting it in the car, but decided against it given they might overheat in the summer sun. Anyway, thought I'd share as though I definitely pack a "to go" bag on days when I know I won't be home, preparations for an unforeseen day away weren't something I contemplated previously. Hope this will help others who are similarly unprepared not have to learn the hard way!

Great news on the kitty recovery front! Isaac has a bit of a left hind leg limp now and isn't steady on his feet, but is very alert, cuddly, and happy. The Vet told us his test results were fantastic and that all signs are that he is in excellent physical condition, stroke/seizure of indeterminate cause notwithstanding. His heart and lungs are in great condition, and x-rays looked good. Decided against a brain MRI as the results might (or not) clue us in to the cause but would likely not alter his treatment or prognosis, and would require general anesthesia which bears risks... Just happy for every day he has with us!

Glad things look good for kitty. I have a protein bar, nuts, and a protein shake sample in my bag. I shouldn't have nuts yet but figured if it comes to that or starving I will eat them and chew until they are liquid.

Terri, you will not starve if you are without food for a day. You would risk far more problems by chewing stuff like that than you would by going without. Leave the nuts alone for now. You need HYDRATION.

Wow @hilary1617 ! I'm glad kitty is doing better and thanks for the advice even though it came during a stressful time for you. I have tons of grabable snacks all over, but none ready to go in the event of a real emergency. I'm going to make a pack right now!

Added nuts to the pack! List: Gallon ziplock baggie, 2 little peanut single serve packs, 2 Oh Yeah! shakes, 1 bag beef jerky, 1 set of meds, 1 set of vites and a tiny bottle of water.

P.S. Isaac is doing really well, curled up next to me and driving a claw in my thigh from time to time to remind me to continue to pet him!

So glad the old boy is doing better - BTDT with old cats.

My go-to snack is Nature Valley Protein bars, dark chocolate and peanut butter (dang, that pic is big) - they sell them at Costco:
91dSLGozcML._SL1500_.jpg

I don't eat them often, so I don't get sick of them. I keep them stashed in my briefcase, my purse, the car, and pockets of jackets I wear most often. I'm rarely caught completely unprepared.

Those nature valley bars are good! I have a case from Costco in my pantry, they're a touch carby for a bar for me, but definitely way less than your average yummy granola bar and they don't have the protein bar ick factor.

Latest posts

Back