Eating and Drinking

mike727

Had DS on 12/10/15
So my surgeons office says to not to drink for an hour after meals and to stop all drinking 5 minutes before meals. Is this something that DSers adhere to or is it more of an RNY thing?

So my surgeons office says to not to drink for an hour after meals and to stop all drinking 5 minutes before meals. Is this something that DSers adhere to or is it more of an RNY thing?
RNY rules. While drinking (SIPPING) with a meal is HARD at first and will fill you up, you still have your pyloric valve and it will work as designed. I sip with all my meals.

Hells, no's! As Liz said, those are silly rules that don't apply to DS'rs. That is the problem with many of the surgeon's offices, they don't have a freaking clue of the difference between living with a DS and RnY.

I asked this in the Duodenal Switch fb group I found linked on here and omg all hell broke loose over there between a newbie and vets lol.
That is because some people believe everything their doctors tell them. Doctors are fallible. Even the one who graduates at the bottom of the class sill gets to be called DOCTOR. And it is easier to give the same rules to everyone as in "one size fits all" and anyone who has ever bought clothes knows that "one size fits all" is impossible. Something that would fit a 5'4" female wearing a size 4 will never fit the 5'10" female weighting 300 lbs. Just not possible. :)

I have a sleeved stomach- so I'm chiming in :)
I personally feel too full even this far out if I attempt to drink and eat at the same time.. this can be a good or bad thing. I usually don't drink after meals for about 30+ mins for similar reasons of comfort. My sleeve is likely smaller- but I get in plenty of food, provided I don't try to drink with my meals. If I want to not go nutso on nibbles, like at parties- I make sure I'm sipping. It stops me pretty fast. My stomach doesn't seem to empty overly fast unless I'm eating processed crap.

I personally feel too full even this far out if I attempt to drink and eat at the same time.. this can be a good or bad thing. I usually don't drink after meals for about 30+ mins for similar reasons of comfort.
Jo, that is the best reason...not this garbage that it will go thru your sleeve too fast.

Drinking with meals is debated for people who've never had WLS. I rarely drink with meals when I dine out because soft drinks and iced tea now cost what beer and mixed drinks cost a few years ago. Or I ask for a to-go cup when I box up the left overs. :giggle:

Nope. That's RNY. You have a pyloric valve and you can't 'wash' food out of your stomach with liquids. That's one of the ways RNY's re-gain!

HOWEVER...in the very beginning, a couple sips will fill you up and you won't be able to eat. I would urge you to minimize drinking while eating for a little while!

Jo, that is the best reason...not this garbage that it will go thru your sleeve too fast.

Exactly. I was told that I shouldn't have much room for liquids if I'm eating right. My Dr. just explained it rather than setting an arbitrary rule. Regardless, I tested it and found out fast he was spot on. Not the same reasons RNYers have, but similar instructions.

I never have drank during meals, even when a kid, unless something tickled my throat or it got stuck a little in there. So no matter what the instructions should be I do the same as always. Of course we always had milk when I was a kid and i'm not a milk drinker so save the worst for last I guess.:)

As for that one size fits all, it's almost like one size fits none!

I saw that... that thread went south real quick LOL

I'm a car person and on a lot of automotive forums and this debate reminds me of the fram oil filter. One particular forum all you had to say was you used fram oil filters then sit back and read! Like throwing a steak in the middle of a bunch of hungry wild dogs. I have to admit I did this type thing a couple times just for the entertainment value of it all. I'm bad. LOL

Latest posts

Back