DSer who can't stop losing? Anyone hear of this?

Sounds like she had a distal RNY.

But yes, it happens occasionally with DSers. Usually, it can be handled by adding Creon to increase absorption for a while until the body settles down. Sometimes, people need TPN. And sometimes, a revision. It happens - but not that often.

I saw this the other day too. I guess it's possible but not likely. Over the years I have known a few who had their CC made longer to stop losing. And DS results are a pretty classic bell curve so for every person who doesn't lose enough, there is supposed to be someone else like this woman. I have known LOTS of people who were bulletproof for several years postop. They quite literally ate any and everything they wanted and reached all of their weight goals. They lost all the weight without suffering at all. Then the fateful day comes when they run out of luck and start gaining.

The longest free ride I have seen was 7 years. This woman is only 2 years out and tells us in the video she will have to eat like this for the rest of her life. For most that's baloney and the free ride does end. And people who have it this easy and never had to fight to lose are ill equipped to deal with the regain. We would have to check back with this woman in another 5 years or so. By then, she will have had her CC made longer OR she will be back to chubby because *surprise* her body adapted.

I cringe when the bulletproof people post about how they can eat anything they want and still lose. It makes the rest of us feel terrible and more than a little cursed, damned, and unlucky. And it gives the newbies a really distorted vision of postop life. This is why I always tell everyone to stay away from all the carbs till they are 10% below their goal. If it turns out they are among the bulletproof, they get a carb fest for a few months till they stop losing. If they are a member of the cursed, damned and unlucky group, they got the most they could out of the 'easy loss' stage.

Me personally, I am jealous. I want her DS. I am quite willing to trade.

I only know of one who lost way more than he should have. He looked like an Nazi Death Camp survivor. Found out recently he has Crohn's and should never have had the DS to begin with. He is working on gaining weight back to withstand getting a reversal of the switch. Obviously, the sleeve is permanent.

I would love to have this problem. I am a revision (to a 8 year VSG) and am 14 weeks out. I am lucky if I lose a pound a week!

This is actually fascinating. I am glad @Munchkin reminded us newbies that this woman's apparent "free ride" will likely end for her and she may find herself unable to cope with any regain when it does. I was more floored by all the crap she is eating. I can't imagine being able to digest all that sugar and carbs without paying serious gastric consequences. All I can think while watching her is that she must feel miserable all the time because she abuses her DS to the max.

there are a couple of us who had adsorption problems for the first 2 years, myself and Scott. i would have finally been good at 3 years but the accident happen with 3800 calories of tpn for MONTHS on end. I gained 50lbs and SUNSHINE THE FREE RIDE HAS ENDED. I cant get it off for nothing. I would need to stick to a very strict diet. I haven't gotten my mind set that if i do the work and take 2 months and eat Saintly that i could eat whatever after loosing the weight. i eat that way now and dont eat enough to gain Weight. But it will end sometime and she will Probably be just as freaking devastated as i am!

there are a couple of us who had adsorption problems for the first 2 years, myself and Scott. i would have finally been good at 3 years but the accident happen with 3800 calories of tpn for MONTHS on end. I gained 50lbs and SUNSHINE THE FREE RIDE HAS ENDED. I cant get it off for nothing. I would need to stick to a very strict diet. I haven't gotten my mind set that if i do the work and take 2 months and eat Saintly that i could eat whatever after loosing the weight. i eat that way now and dont eat enough to gain Weight. But it will end sometime and she will Probably be just as freaking devastated as i am!
@Charris was put into this situation and it wasn't really something she could control. But regain happens. And the body adapts. And it is devastating!

This is actually fascinating. I am glad @Munchkin reminded us newbies that this woman's apparent "free ride" will likely end for her and she may find herself unable to cope with any regain when it does. I was more floored by all the crap she is eating. I can't imagine being able to digest all that sugar and carbs without paying serious gastric consequences. All I can think while watching her is that she must feel miserable all the time because she abuses her DS to the max.

I would hazard a guess she is one of those people who has to have something wrong with her. Too fat, too thin. Too something. Prime evidence is this video. Poor me...I have to eat SOOOOO much food!

I know other DSers like this too. Maybe they got so carried away with drama they can't function without it. Adrenaline junkies sort of. They always have problems. And they manufacture most of them. These people drive me bonkers and I avoid them for my own mental health.

@Munchkin a type of munchausen. Funny you know how many times i have thought people must think that i am one of those people or either they think i must be a big liar? lmfao Cause honestly I have been a train wreck of problems from day one. If someone told me my story I'd be like yea right. I honestly believe if Sue did not track me down in the hospital or nursing home every time i was trying to check out of this place and talk to medical staff then report back probably 85 to 90 percent of yall would think i was a chronic complainer.

But honestly I wonder how she came to the conclusion that she's going to have to eat like that for the rest of her life after only two short years with the surgery?

Im no expert but this lady is full of it!! She is only 2 years out..ok so her honeymoon is longer than others. That also makes me realize she has to be having alot of the "side effects" fron eating carbs and sugar. And that malaise alone would stop her from eating candy bars and sweets. I have to believe that her Dr would be suggesting healthier plans and options as opposed to gorging on junk! Surgeons are like hair dressera, they are prima donnas about theur work and cant stand for someone to ruin it. If this lady was out of her honeymoon phase and truly couldnt keep her weight up, im sure her surgeon would be trying to correct the problem!

@LindaDarnell great point. I know Dr. K told me if i got malnourished a 3rd time back to surgery i went. I was afraid to have any surgery witg gim after that for fear hed sneak and lengthen my cc from 50. LOL

Yep, me. If not for taking 400,000 IU of CREON (A FREAKING TON) for a year I would have been dead or in the hospital on TPN. After Dr K revised me to extend my total alimentary limb (CC + the small AL) or Roux Limb as sometimes called I was able to immediately stop taking any CREON. My labs held where they were at with the CREON and have improved since that time. It was totally unnecessary for me to have had that issue because had my original DS surgeon followed the Hess method and gave me appropriate limb lengths for my small bowel length I would have been just fine. That is why I get so preachy about the Hess DS and my advocacy of using it. It eliminates nearly all risk of losing too much while optimizing weight loss and health.

Latest posts

Back