DS and hypoglycemia

BebeZed

I guess I should have asked this little gem long ago, but I sort of glossed over this figuring everything else out. I have reactive hypoglycemia and have for years. It seems to happen less frequently with my current high protein low carb diet but it still happens and when it does, it doesn't play around. How will having the DS affect this? Is there anything special I should be aware of other than watching for and recognizing (and taking action) when it happens?

In most but not all cases, the DS seems to improve hypoglycemia, as it normalizes glucose metabolism.

In addition (and perhaps even more importantly), I still can't eat a lot of sugar at once, both because it has become too sweet for me anyway, and because I will still get a little ookie feeling from overdoing sugar. Makes it easy to not eat too much, so reactive hypoglycemia just doesn't get started in the first place - because I'm not inclined to eat what would cause it. I am surprisingly satisfied with half a dessert or less most of the time.

That's good news! I am not really one for sweets (usually)... breads and pastas were my big downfall. I've since discovered that I can in fact live without that sort of thing quite happily... go figure :)

I figure even if it doesn't go away entirely, having not happen as much is still a win! Thanks :)

I have reactive hypoglycemia, have had it since it was confirmed in a GTT back in 1994. I still have it. I handle it by not eating a meal of JUST protein and fat. I spread my carbs out over the day so that I don't have any meal without any. I also do not go beyond 2 hours without eating something except at bedtime. By doing that I have controlled it for years.

I have reactive hypoglycemia, have had it since it was confirmed in a GTT back in 1994. I still have it. I handle it by not eating a meal of JUST protein and fat. I spread my carbs out over the day so that I don't have any meal without any. I also do not go beyond 2 hours without eating something except at bedtime. By doing that I have controlled it for years.

That makes perfect sense. I will see how it goes and if I still have some issues with it, I'll just be mindful of that and spread the carbs out as you do. Thanks for your input!

I love sweets and that hasn't changed so don't think that because you get the DS that you won't like sweets. Early on I didn't feel like eating much sweets but I didn't feel like eating anything else either.. My A1C is great but I do notice that if I have a big bowl of cereal or a dessert I get sleepy and sometime fall asleep if eating later in the evening. Not sure if that is much me being tired at end of day because I fall asleep sometimes sitting in a recliner whether I ate something or not.

Fortunately I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I hope that doesn't change post-DS! That would kind of stink... and would be MY luck! lol

I didn't have reactive hypoglycemia but I had extreme hypoglycemic episodes due to an insulinoma. Sweets are difficult for me, I often feel nauseous after eating them. Simple carbs on the other hand don't cause that to happen.

Latest posts

Back