Dr. Donovan Teel II in Dayton, OH

Tanya

Yesterday I had my first appointment. It went well, except he basically tried to talk me out of DS... and not for any reasons that were personal (I have no co morbidities... but my BMI is 55.4) It was all "Well THEY (DS'ers as opposed to the sleeve patients, which is what he was a bit biased toward) have more complications, THEY have smelly poos and farts (so its not going to be all sunshine and rainbows?!) THEY have lots of vitamins they have to take, and THEY have to be more vigilant with their labs... etc. Then said we could do it in stages (a sleeve, then later a DS IF I wanted) um no... I want a DS. At the end, he said "well I see your mind is made up, I wrote it down as a D/S"

However, because I have not asked and the search feature (for me on this topic) leaves a bit to be desired... Have any of ya'll had your surgery with him? If so, what was your experience?

In advance, I appreciate all information you can give :)

To be honest, I haven't heard of anyone using Teel in a LONG time - I thought he retired or quit doing the DS. He used to be a vetted surgeon, but I thought there might have been a problem with him some time ago. This website only started a few months ago, and this is the first time he name has come up.

I see you posted on OH and couldn't figure out how to search? There is a magnifying glass icon - put in Teel and duodenal. I found this worrisome link which is probably why I warned you on FB too: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4138142/Worried-Dr-Teel/

:) I appreciate it! I am (as advised) trying to stay 3 steps ahead... I also know (from my consult) that he was reluctant, but won over by my research. In my file it says that I am going for a DS. He did say he does significantly less due to patients being noncompliant... and that put a sour taste in his mouth. I happened to have several printouts of advised (from ya'll vets!) regimens to start with, and what blood tests to have ordered post op... etc. I am pretty "diligent and have my mind made up" (from his mouth to god's ears, no?)... So that is where I am. I intend to have the RNY clause taken out completely, and basically stating its DS or nothing. IF he gets in there and "can't" do it, to sew me up and send me home. I'm pretty serious about this life change, and excited to see where everything takes me... Also, I have a psych eval tomorrow. I'm nervous, but hopeful.

Hi! Glad you found us here. I have concerns about Dr. Teel, but it's all very vague. As Diana said, we haven't seen him mentioned as actually doing a DS for quite some time, which is worrisome. Keep doing your research and stick to your guns. And definitely put "no gastric bypass" on your consent form (better than putting "no RNY", because RNY really is a GI configuaration used in both operations, but in laymen's terms has come to be associated with gastric bypass).

Latest posts

Back