do you hold your calcium 24 hours before Dexascan ?

ginger

Hi all,
Sorry I have been MIA. Been taking care of my Dad. I am home for a few weeks. I have an appt in St Louis at the Washington University Osteo clinic as my bones are sliding downward :mad: again as my weight loss increases :smile:. In the paperwork it states " Please do not take calcium supplement tablets 24 hours prior to appointment, since if not completely dissolved in the stomach, it may interfere with a proper estimation of bone density"

I have never read this anywhere in the past. I have not been reading hardly any boards while taking care of Dad's issues. I need to keep this appointment for MY bone health, long term.

BUT with the DS this should not be an issue should it ? What do you think ? I am usually done taking my calcium by 6-8 pm the night before and my appt is not until 1:30 pm the next day. I know it's not 24 hours and I should start on that currents days calcium, but when would you stop it or would you stop it at all ? Has anyone ever been told this before ? I could hold off on current day calcium until after the dexascan.

I am still losing slowly since my revision with Dr Rabkin. He is happy with my labs, although I struggle eating enough some days, which is pretty normal for us I think. I do get in 80-120 grams of protein a day and I am still losing 1-2 pounds a week. Last week I packed quickly for a conference and did not try on pants that I wore a month ago and it's a darn good thing I had a belt with me ! The pants would fall off, which made bathroom trips quick once the belt was removed ! LOL

Thanks for input on the above.
Ginger <><

I've had a number of scans and never heard of this. If you're concerned then simply don't take your evening calcium.

The instruction sheet I get prior to a DEXA scan has this same requirement. I follow it because I know that a single 24 hour period of no calcium is not going to be detrimental to my bone health and I want as accurate a scan as possible.

Interesting that I had never read that before ...Thanks Sandy and Jpcello....

I go for my annual bone mineral density scan tomorrow. I have always been told 48 hours of no calcium

I am going in for my first bone density scan tomorrow at 9:30 AM. There seems to be conflicting advice above. My paperwork didn't say anything about skipping calcium before the scan and I just took a dose at about 7 PM with a magnesium citrate. I always take my vites the day before my labs are drawn (2 year labs will also be drawn tomorrow) and figured I would just continue to do the same each time for consistency. After reading this, I'm now worried my scan might not be accurate?

Well, it would have been nice of them to tell me this. Too late now. It will have been just over 12 hours. :( Will it be a total waste?
I would make sure to tell them what I has taken. It may effect the way they tead and interpret the result.

Hi all,
Sorry I have been MIA. Been taking care of my Dad. I am home for a few weeks. I have an appt in St Louis at the Washington University Osteo clinic as my bones are sliding downward :mad: again as my weight loss increases :smile:. In the paperwork it states " Please do not take calcium supplement tablets 24 hours prior to appointment, since if not completely dissolved in the stomach, it may interfere with a proper estimation of bone density"

I have never read this anywhere in the past. I have not been reading hardly any boards while taking care of Dad's issues. I need to keep this appointment for MY bone health, long term.

BUT with the DS this should not be an issue should it ? What do you think ? I am usually done taking my calcium by 6-8 pm the night before and my appt is not until 1:30 pm the next day. I know it's not 24 hours and I should start on that currents days calcium, but when would you stop it or would you stop it at all ? Has anyone ever been told this before ? I could hold off on current day calcium until after the dexascan.

I am still losing slowly since my revision with Dr Rabkin. He is happy with my labs, although I struggle eating enough some days, which is pretty normal for us I think. I do get in 80-120 grams of protein a day and I am still losing 1-2 pounds a week. Last week I packed quickly for a conference and did not try on pants that I wore a month ago and it's a darn good thing I had a belt with me ! The pants would fall off, which made bathroom trips quick once the belt was removed ! LOL

Thanks for input on the above.
Ginger <><

I have been getting dexa before the DS, and Yes You should stop taking any calcium supplements at least 24 hours before your scan (I usually do 48 hours) that is something they really should be telling people when they have a dexa, but I guess it no difference than no one stopping iron medication when going in for an iron panel.

Latest posts

Back