Did you exercise pre-op?

SJB41976

I work out regularly and have the past ten years. It's the only thing I have been consistent at. I can go about 3 weeks and I get back at it. My main motivation is inflammation in my back. I had to start having epidural steroid injections 15 years ago. I really started investigating WLS way back then too. Anyway, I started exercising regularly and going to a chiropractor so that I would not have to keep getting shots, and it works. I haven't had any shots in 9 years. I do have degeneration in my lower back and it freaks me out...sometimes I will have inflammation and I think "here we go again..." but my chiro works wonders.

Anyway, I meet with a trainer twice a week and do 1 day at the gym on my own and basically walk or "move" the other days. Honestly, some weeks I just work out with my trainer. I strive to do better, but it's hit and miss. I messed my knee up last year and basically couldn't work out for about a year. I had meniscus repair, then found out my feet had flattened and I needed inserts. I ended up wearing a boot for 4 weeks last September. It was really a discouraging time and it really increased me looking into a revision. My trainer is teaching me to dead lift, but mainly we do interval training and using weights. I have no more knee pain and that is wonderful because when I started with him my left knee to foot was in poor, poor shape.

I am wondering the fact that I am stronger because of working out that that will help when I recover from surgery. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Barring complications, I'm hoping to bounce back pretty well. I handle surgery well anyways.

I know many of us were basically surviving before surgery, but I was wondering if anyone was regularly active and how their surgery experience played out because of it. I can think it is only a positive thing and will help in recovery.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back