Dementia / Parkinsons Caretakers - Robotic Spoon for Tremors / Eating is a Go

hilary1617

First time at the rodeo.
For those who also have family members / friends dealing with tremors that make eating a challenge, I bought a Gyenno robotic spoon off of amazon for my dad this week. They are expensive and there aren't a lot of reviews, so it took a while for me to make the purchase. I was afraid it might just be a gimmick. I also thought there was a reasonable chance my dad would summarily reject it because the handle is wide and heavy (more like an electronic razor than a normal spoon handle).

It works very well. 100% of the food on his plate makes it into his mouth in about half the time of a normal meal (duration can be quite extended). So, better nutrition, but also a significant reduction in frustration and mess and return to dignity.

If you are on the fence, I'd highly recommend giving it a try. It really helps!

P.S. Got the original design - not the even more expensive "Bravo Twist" that can handle spinning spaghetti noodles. We haven't tried the fork attachment, because his tremors don't cause him to lose food that he can stab with a traditional fork - his struggle is with soft, scoopable foods. Plus, we need to keep it simple. Introducing a robotic spoon is complicated enough!

Last edited:
For those who also have family members / friends dealing with tremors that make eating a challenge,
Actually I am the one with tremors. Mine are familial essential tremors and have slowly gotten worse over the decade. I noticed it at age 12 but not diagnosed until 1998-2000 time frame. Comes to me courtesy of my paternal grandfather.

I've seen the spoon...maybe at some point. Altho most of mine is still soup issues and drink issues. I get around the drinks by using a lid. If I don't use a lid, it turns into Mt. Vesuvius. Soups, I tend to handle like the Japanese eat...with the bowl or cup right under my chin.

Thanks for the review. I may end up with one.

Actually I am the one with tremors. Mine are familial essential tremors and have slowly gotten worse over the decade. I noticed it at age 12 but not diagnosed until 1998-2000 time frame. Comes to me courtesy of my paternal grandfather.

I've seen the spoon...maybe at some point. Altho most of mine is still soup issues and drink issues. I get around the drinks by using a lid. If I don't use a lid, it turns into Mt. Vesuvius. Soups, I tend to handle like the Japanese eat...with the bowl or cup right under my chin.

Thanks for the review. I may end up with one.

Sorry to hear of the tremors - this is such a frustrating condition.

I hadn't thought about adding a lid to the glasses, so I'm going to steal that idea! Thanks for sharing. At the memory facility where my dad stays they serve water and juice in long-stemmed wine glasses. We tried adding straws in cut half lengthwise to fit in the glass but that actually made it harder for Dad to drink. I bet I can find some lids that fit on those glasses. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back