Define dry...

So the Kirkland are absolutely a no go? Gelatin, glycerin and water wouldn't seem to interfere, but I guess I'm confused...

As far as vitamins/minerals go, NO softgels as those are oil based. We malabsorb oil so most of the vitamin/mineral just ends up in the toilet.

However, not all softgels are oil filled. Example, I take gelcap ibuprofen. It's not the gelcap itself that is the issue, it's what is IN the gelcap.

Simply put, the dry A, E D and K are powders and in capsules that can be pulled apart if needed to let people mix the insides with something. You can find examples of the kind we need at our store located here: http://bariatricfacts.org/pages/store/

Forgive me, maybe I was given the answer already and I'm just not processing, but can someone please tell me flat out if I can take the Kirkland e-400 as, unlike most gel caps, I do not see oil listed anywhere in the ingredients - Just gelatin (what capsules themselves are made of), glycerin (an alcohol, not oil, no?) and water...

In order for vitamin A, E, D or K to be in a softgel, it is suspended in oil.

Bottom line, best E is by BioTech but honestly MOST DS'ers do not need E supplemented beyond the multivitamin. So save your money on the E. Get the BioTech brand of A and K, and either the BioTech or the Nivagen vitamin D.
BTW, looking at the BF store I see this Vit E, but it does contain vegetable oil concentrates. Hence, the confusion!

http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-E-400-250-Softgels/dp/B0013OVYSO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447201007&sr=1-1&keywords=NOW+Foods+E-400+Mt,+250+Softgels
That is because we also have VSG'ers who do not malabsorb oil.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
1) The vast majority of DSers don't need supplemental vitamin E in the first place. Dr. Rabkin doesn't even bother testing for it.
2) That is not a "dry" or water-miscible form - it would say it was, if it was.
3) The water-miscible fat soluble vitamins are generally powders.

I wouldn't bother with it.

In order for vitamin A, E, D or K to be in a softgel, it is suspended in oil.

Bottom line, best E is by BioTech but honestly MOST DS'ers do not need E supplemented beyond the multivitamin. So save your money on the E. Get the BioTech brand of A and K, and either the BioTech or the Nivagen vitamin D.

That is because we also have VSG'ers who do not malabsorb oil.
I have needed E from the get go and so do my two male friends that had as DS with same Dr. Now foods dry E-400 is what I take....two a day

Latest posts

Back