Decided to revise to DS...

Thanks for all the sage advise helping me make an informed choice to revise to DS.
Also, I called my insurance ChampVA and they said the only surgery they don't cover is the Sleeve, which I already have. The benefits person didn't even know what DS was and suggested that I have the surgeon call the pre-authorization department with the medical code they'd use to see if it's covered or not. The benefits papers I have say it does cover the LapBand, RNY, stapling and medically necessary revisions (as long as the revision isn't to a sleeve). So, I'm thinking perhaps I would be covered under the revision aspect.
Lastly, I'm going to cancel my consult with Dr. Schweitzer since we know he no longer does DS. Is Dr. Elariny in Vienna, VA the closet doctor to Baltimore or are there any Maryland surgeons performing DS? We are central Maryland so pretty close to PA, DE, WV and DE borders and would be willing to consider surgeons in those states.
Thanks!
Heather

Heather, I also live in Baltimore and also have a sleeve performed by Dr. Schweitzer. I had a consult with him last month before I knew he did not perform the DS anymore. (I understand from Pat that several of his patients have extreme complications so he no longer performs them. ). I then had a consultation with Dr. Elinary. I wasn't told until I was there that he does not perform the DS within any network because the reimbursement rate is not enough for such a complicated surgery. .... after I realized that it took about 2 1/2 hours to get to Vienna Virginia (darn DC traffic) and only slightly more to get to southern New Jersey, I began pursuing a DS with David Greenbaum who is a participating physician in my network (BCBS) I have a phone consultation with him next week.

(( by the way, Schweitzer did order an upper G.I. with contrast, which is needed by any physician. It was nice to have the ability to get that done locally. )

Barbara

Thank you for reacing out Barbara!!! I don't like the thought of Dr. Elinary not taking the insurance or requiring money up front. I'll definitely look into DS with Dr. Greenbaum. Please keep in touch. I live in Rosedale/White Marsh and work at Bayview. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

@beebs I emailed Dr. G yesterday and he responded within about an hour! ! I explained to him that my current insurance doesn’t cover DS, but my work’s insurance does and I can enroll in January. To get a head start we can get the UGI and preliminary stuff done now and schedule a phone consult. Not sure if I have to have Schweitzer order the UGI or if I can just have my primary do that. Not sure if it matters. I also need to have Schweitzer’s office send my VSG operation report to Dr. G. SO EXCITED! Where are you in Baltimore? I'm in Rosedale/White Marsh. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Does anyone know the TOTAL cash cost for RNY to DS with Dr Greenbaum? or any other MD?

Last edited:
I am trying to call a phone number for him and I'm getting an incomplete connection. 609-877-1737 is not a viable number. Do you know another?

Congrats on your decision! I have a VSG and looking to revise to DS. Dr. Greenbaum is on my list of doctors of consideration. I look forward to hearing about your journey!

Latest posts

Back