Decided on revision to DS!!!

Thanks for all the sage advise helping me make an informed choice to revise to DS.

Also, I called my insurance ChampVA and they said the only surgery they don't cover is the Sleeve, which I already have. The benefits person didn't even know what DS was and suggested that I have the surgeon call the pre-authorization department with the medical code they'd use to see if it's covered or not. The benefits papers I have say it does cover the LapBand, RNY, stapling and medically necessary revisions (as long as the revision isn't to a sleeve). So, I'm thinking perhaps I would be covered under the revision aspect.

Lastly, I'm going to cancel my consult with Dr. Schweitzer since we know he no longer does DS. Is Dr. Elariny in Vienna, VA the closet doctor to Baltimore or are there any Maryland surgeons performing DS? We are central Maryland so pretty close to PA, DE, WV and DE borders and would be willing to consider surgeons in those states.

Thanks!
Heather

Lastly, I'm going to cancel my consult with Dr. Schweitzer since we know he no longer does DS. Is Dr. Elariny in Vienna, VA the closet doctor to Baltimore or are there any Maryland surgeons performing DS? We are central Maryland so pretty close to PA, DE, WV and DE borders and would be willing to consider surgeons in those states.

First off good for you on your decision.

I don't know how close to the Philly area you are but there are several good Dr's in this area. I'm getting my DS at Abington Memorial with Dr. Bonanni. I've heard nothing but great things about him and I really like him so far. There are two other DR's in the practice who also do the DS, all of which seem to get rave reviews from the patients (even when asked in person!)

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.abingtonhealth.org/services-specialties/bariatrics/#.VR_IuPnF98H

Good luck to you!

Often the issue of whether or not a surgeon does revisions depends on what type of revision. For example, I don't know of any DS surgeon who doesn't do revisions from lap band to the DS (all too common because of the high failure rate of lap bands) and sleeve to DS revisions are also widely done because the sleeve is part of the DS.
On the other hand, very few do RNY to DS revisions. So if the Philadelphia group is an option for you, give their office a call and see what you can find out about the specific type of revision you need.
The group at Winchester Bariatrics in Winchester VA is also doing the DS, though they are newer to the DS and not as well known. I don't know whether or not they do any revisions, and if so which type. The docs names I've seen for them are Dr. Troy Glembot and Dr. James Wiedower. If you do contact them, let us know what you find out.

@Barbara no need to apologize! We are all here to learn from each other. No one starts out knowing anything about the ins and outs of bariatric surgery.

Latest posts

Back